Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The F-35 Flew At The Paris Airshow Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    The Paris Air Show takes place in June at Le Bourget, and generally has good flight exhibitions. The F-35 flew today and the video of the flight is on youtube. There has been a lot of controversy about the cost of the program and problems with the highly ambitious technology built into the aircraft.

dkmw likes this.

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    We have them flying over Norfolk UK .Glad there are there .

3. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Redonkulous. Awesome. The loads on that airframe/control surfaces must be incredible.

h4ck.b0x7 and Obsessed like this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My thoughts as well. The era of dogfights are well over, but it sure is fun to see how far avionics/technical aviation have progressed. Kudos to the pilot for pulling off those maneuvers so smoothly.

5. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Have you seen what happened in Syria just the other day...first dogfight in almost 20 years.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Aren't they ridiculously over budget..like Carl Sagan...billions and billiions

RyCo1983 and h4ck.b0x7 like this.

7. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2010
    Richmond VA
    The difference between the F-35's demo and an F-16's or F-18's is that the F-35 was in its combat configuration while the other jets do their air shows in a clean configuration. Slick fighters which carry external loads are not very useful in a combat situation. An article I read in Aviation Week & Space Tecnology stated that the F-35 would fly in combat configuration. I'm glad to see the jet perform in public. As a former F-16 avionics technician, I've been sort of keeping up with what the F-35 brings to the fight and it's one awesome airplane!

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.

8. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    I just watched the video and the whole time all I could think was, "Meh....Tom Cruise would have done a better job."

9. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    People within and without military circles have said this for decades and have repeatedly been proven wrong. The bomber command people ran the USAF after it was established in 1947 and they had a "dogfighting is over" mentality and focused on strategic (heavy bombers with nuclear capability and interceptors with missiles) while the US Navy pressed on with tactical aviation and never relented on dogfight training. That saved Navy lives and lost USAF lives in Korea and Viet Nam.

emisilly likes this.

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    This thing is awesome, I love a good technical exercise in the ridiculousness of military aviation, but part of me will always prefer the twin-tailed beast that is the F14 Tomcat over just about anything else..

Obsessed likes this.

11. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    It is a very complex aircraft that reportedly brings a lot of unique ability to the aerial and land battlespace. What is your guestimate what aptitude and what training will be required to maintain all the systems on an F-35?

12. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Umm, one plane shooting down another plane is not necessarily a dogfight. In this case clearly not. In this era, the attacker with certain armaments doesn't even need to see the target.

Modman68, emisilly and RyCo1983 like this.

13. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    I didn't much read into the whole affair but it was a2a.

14. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Death on the wing...

What are the "highly ambitious technolog(ies) built into the aircraft."?

CP.

15. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    In Korea (well over 1/2 a century ago), yes, dogfights were an important variable, but by the end of Vietnam (over 40 years ago), that was about the last of it. This incident a few days ago was the first time a US plane shot down a plane since the last century (and it was no dogfight). Clearly, technology has eliminated the dogfight for militaries that have such technology. Today, the strategy is air superiority before a fighter even enters the theatre.

RyCo1983 likes this.

16. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I'm tired of seeing our of planes fall from the sky (sorry f18 fans). I get sick to my stomach following search and rescue missions, or planes crashing into cities, etc etc. I recall prowler body panels sheering off at speed some where over Japan or Korea, pilots dead, retired planes being pressed back into service. I'm upset with the budget and timeline of the f35, but at this point we need it.

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    There's a BIG reason USN prefers two-engined aircraft versus USAF acceptance of only one-engine planes...loose one and you're done in USAF, but in USN you got a chance to limp home.

18. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

19. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

20. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    General Higby and many others are not sold on the expense of and promise of BVR capabilities. Red Flag, Red Flag Alaska, and Naaval Fighter Weapons School (now at O'Fallon, NV) still press on in air combat maneuvering. Further, the USAF wants the money appropriated to equip the F-22 with a HOBS (High Off-boresight System) and cueing because it is concerned that pilots are at a disadvantage against Gen. 4 fighters at closer range.

http://pogoarchives.org/labyrinth/11/09.pdf

You are drawing a line at within visual range or beyond visual range to define dogfighting, and I have not seen a debriefing of the Navy pilot to factually establish that it was in fact a BVR shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.