The Excelsior Lounge

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by drdos, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That looks very cool in black and white! My brown Exy is still stock, including the Chinese tubes. Only "mod" was snipping the bright circuit wire from the switch so I get the middle (raw) tone on "bright". Makes it easier to switch from raw to dark, and I do use both. Had no use for the bright circuit. Just way too trebly and added a bunch of noise. Still love the amp BTW. Play it and my Pro Jr most often.

Welcome to the forum!

Excelsior Open Tone Mod.jpg

2. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Tele-Meister

Mine's been slightly modified: changed the tone switch to a 'pot' and changed the tubes. A 5751 in V1.
    That black looks great IMO!

3. rp13

rp13 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks tap and IM4,

Agree, the Bright setting is unusable for me too.

I also have a Pro Junior (and a Marshall 2061x).

I am a fan of simple amps - volume and tone knobs, plus a few pedals give me all I need.

Great forum...

MadRocker, tap4154 and timmyc like this.
  4. MRWIZ

MRWIZ NEW MEMBER!

WILL TAKING THE WIRE LOSE ON THE BRIGHT SIDE BE THE SAME AS PUTTING THE SWITCH IN THE MIDDLE?

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. It takes the treble boost circuit out of play, so moving the switch to "bright" will be the middle/raw tone, and "dark" will be the same as it was. Tape or otherwise secure the loose wire end so it doesn't contact anything, and you can always reconnect it later on if you wish. I used a small piece of shrink wrap on the cut wire end, but doubt I'll ever reconnect it.

6. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

What about a schematic for the push pull tone pot? I am.having a hard time finding one.

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

bparnell57 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Welcome, Rp13!

I find that the Exy continues to sound better and better. Maybe I was just slow to break in the 1518, but it just improves each time it's pushed. Is that your experience with it, too?

9. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

hamfists and bparnell57 like this.
  10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I had an old white magnet EV SRO in mine. It was amazingly loud, and also had the clearest fattest Bell like cleans I have ever heard in a small amp.

It also weighed 60+ pounds.

11. Vraver

Vraver TDPRI Member

The Excelsior's are great with octave pedals. I use an EHX pitchfork and get great Black Keys lows and White Stripe highs

bparnell57 likes this.
  12. Vraver

Vraver TDPRI Member

I am new to the forum and I know there is a ton of talk about the speakers in the 'Exy's' but I 'd like to add on to that if you all will indulge me on this.
    I have the Legend Eminence (1518) and while love the headroom I get with this, there are almost no situations where I turn this thing up past 4. Am I missing out? Is it worth it to cut a little head room (or would I) changing to a less efficient speaker?

13. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Tele-Meister

You can always work around 'too much' headroom with the proper OD/distortion pedal, but when you're short on headroom (due to a different venue or other situation), there's no way to increase it unless you go the expensive route of re-amping. I far prefer the 1518 to a less efficient speaker. It allows the Exy to be 'gig worthy' in most all venues....mic it if needed.

14. Vraver

Vraver TDPRI Member

Thanks. I do love the headroom I get at low volumes and, I get great results with my pedals. However, since I don't gig outside of get togethers in a rehearsal studio, I don't ever get to crank it up because as you know, with the 1518 this thing is loud! I am beginning to wonder if it is to loud with the 1518 and that maybe another speaker might allow me to get even more from this thing.
    I played recently with 2 drumers, 2 basses and three other guitars! and the Exy cut thru all that chaos with no problem and with loads of room to go higher. Is there a speaker out there that can project like that but maybe a bit less volume?

15. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I have an old Altec in my "Bass" exy and as noted, it's loud, clean and heavy as hell. I put a repaired '60s Jensen P15 in my "guitar" Exy and it sounds great as well, a bit quieter, a bit lighter, but nice and full. Have yet to have an opportunity to try out my guitar Exy in a guitar jam situation, but it does sound tasty as hell when I get to lean into it.

No mods other than speaker/tube swaps.

16. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Tele-Meister

"more" what? You're over-thinking......just turn the vol knob down when necessary.

Vraver likes this.
  17. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Well, the only way to change the perceived volume from the amp without changing anything internal is by using a different, less-efficient speaker. IF the data I saw is correct, the 1518 is a 103dB speaker, which means it would be nigh impossible to get a more efficient current-production speaker...it also weighs a bit over 12 pounds, which means it'd be tough to get a heavier speaker. Peruse the link for 15" speakers at AES and you can get specs for each. The P15N is lightest and basically tied with the Mod15-120 at @ 97dB, the lowest rating. The AES listing is probably not complete as options go.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/speakers?filters=Size=15 inch,Type=Guitar

As vintage speakers go, most old speakers were rated for pretty low-power applications, but 12 watts should be in the ballpark, and most are pretty inefficient by now, as well. There are a few guys out there, accessible via ebay, for instance, that sell reconed vintage units, sometimes hempcone, that might spark your interest. And there are usually a few old units available on my local CL, couldn't hurt to try yours, as well.

Vraver likes this.
  18. Blind Walker G

Blind Walker G TDPRI Member

Really nice, there is still a place where people talk about the Excelsior. I own the brown and a mint green Pro since they been available. Still my main amps in studio use, just fits my music perfect. Lately there came a few questions in my mind, so I try it here.
    The brown with the raw character will always stay unmodded, cause the amp is perfect in it's own way. Everything remains stock, even the cheap Chinese tubes.
    So here comes the question: When it comes to a tube change sooner or later, anyone has an experience with other tubes without changing anything of the sound?
    I don't want to have a more creamy sound or whatever, I just want to keep it the way it is.

Here we go for the Pro. It's different, cause this amp has much less character than the brown, so I'm more open to changes.
    Here in Germany this tube set is recommended for the Excelsior, anyone tried something like this?
    http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/produc...e_name=Tube_Sets_Fender_Tube_Sets&language=en

Also I'm not really happy with the 1518 speaker. I'm a Fender man, in my 40 years on stage I played all the now vintage Fenders I couldn't afford today. But the best clean tone I've ever had was my Music Man RD112EV with the Electro Voice EVM12L. So I wonder if anyone has tried the EVM15L in the Excelsior?

Last thing is, the Excis are my favourite amps for years, but of course I'm always open for something new. Nothing better than the Exci crossed my way the last years, not for my playing which is a cross of J.J. Cale and Marc Ribot. Lately I was really impressed by some Youtube vids of the new Supro 1648RT Saturn. Really very low chance, but anyone tried the Supro in comparison to the Excelsior?

Lot of questions, thanks for some replies in advance. Let's keep the Excelsior alive.

BWG

19. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had put my Exxy out in the shop for a while, since I have a Mesa 5:50 and a kit-based 57 Deluxe, but we recently had a birthday party for a musician friend and in the jam session I needed all three amps. A guy took the re-cabbed Exxy, ran a delay pedal and a Rat pedal in front of it and sounded great. He was playing an old Ibanez Strat copy with the Clapton-style mid-boost mod. It's still in the fingers, folks!

It sounded as good as any other amp in the room. Re-cabbed in a plain pine box, baffled for a 12" Legend, Bill M mod (RIP, Bill) and JJ tubes. It sounds clearer and weighs 10 lbs less.

20. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

To Blind Walker G, I think that looking to replace the tubes in the Excelsior with all that "premium" "low noise" stuff is kind of missing the point of this amp. My take on her is that she is a modern day, cobbled-together Deluxe-like piece (15" speaker notwithstanding) and is not supposed to be hum and noise free. Perhaps clean when volume on guitar is throttled down, loud and ragged when cranked up. Thats what twin 6V6 amps do.

In mine I have a pair (not very well matched) of 1948 Delco 6V6's (glass envelope) and '60's Amperex 7025's. Does all she is intended to do...:) I do like Im4tone's idea of a 5751 in the V1 position, have to try that...

I would love to see/hear one of those new Supros. I understand they are quite pricey and no one in my area carries them.

skisquash and IM4Tone like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.