Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

The End Of The Mustang Production Is Here!!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by olefudd, Mar 11, 2017.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    This brings up something interesting to note. I too spent endless hours building and tweaking several amps. And the funny thing is, it was much like having a modeler and endessly tweaking dials but instead of dials it was soldering or clipping in various resistors and caps and altering circuit pathways. I would leave the chassis sitting on top of the combo cab with the speaker plugged in so i could tweak and listen in real time for months on end tweaking it daily sometimes for hours ! granted, part of that was almost as much a game to me as trying to nail perfect tone. But it's funny you mentioned this because that is exactly what a modeler gives you....the ability to alter the tone in far deeper ways than with the basic gain/vol/bass/middle/treble fine tuning controls (because thats really all the are) on a typical tube amp. Just like i did for years with tube amps and a soldering station, but with a dial and buttons and LCD.

Thats a point i've made here before....that a modeler is like a blank canvas and a tube amp is like the almost finished picture that the designer brought to the point you have to do very little to finish it. But the almost finished picture (the tube amp) is going to look the way the painter intended leaving the owner very little left to do to change it more than a tad. A modeler is like a blank canvas and a set of brushes and colors and the rest is up to you. It's no wonder many would rather have a tube amp because not everyone is willing to put the time and effort in when it's so much easier to let someone else to all the work for you. But there are also benefits on the other side and some of us find them worth the effort. To be honest, maybe the biggest reason i love the mustang is the fact that i don't go crazy wondering why my amp sounds like cr@p one day and great the next. I LOVE the consistency i get where i know every time i plug in it's gonna sound the same. For years up until i got the mustang i never could figure out if it was me, my ears or whatever, or the amp that caused that. Now happily I know the answer.

Sandhill69, Teleposer and Jim Dep like this.

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I like your blank canvas analogy. Sometimes I use a simplistic example, also having to do with colors. The basic tube amp being a box of 6 crayons and the modeler being the box of 64 (with the sharpener). You feel "safe" with those 6 crayons or you can go to town having lots of crayons to work with. Those choices can be unsettling for some......"...uh...I'm gonna spend too much time fiddling with the crayons instead of using them o_O" Too many choices causing a brain meltdown then needing a safe zone...and sticking with the 6 crayons to get the heart rate back down. :)

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    It's all fun and games until someone sticks their finger in the sharpener! :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yeah, but for me the way i look at it is the 64 crayons are there only till you finish the painting. After that you don't need any, you just frame it and put it on the wall and you just enjoy your work ! Seriously, when i finally got the bassman model to where i liked it after i initially got the amp, i pretty much just played w/o tweaking for a couple years. Thats longer then i have ever gone with a tube amp without buying outboard gear of different tubes or whatever to try and get the tone perfect. Partially because of that inconsistency from day to day i mentioned. the only reason i recently went to town tweaking recently is because i started jamming with friend on a much more regular basis and had more of a chance to nail the one thing i hadn't yet, the stage volume tone. Now i fully expect i won't be touching it for a long time again. So 64 crayons to me is nothing more then the initial setup after which you can just play. But if you can't find something that you like in the amp as much as I did, then yeah, you might just go on endlessly with all 64 and tweaking more than playing. Had i not found my sound in it after a time I too would have moved on. But i did because i spent the time to find out if my sound was in there or not. Many don't.

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I haven't seen the box in a while, but I'll bet you'll find a warning label on there that say's....*****WARNING.***** .PUTTING YOUR FINGER IN THE SHARPENER MAY CAUSE SERIOUS FLESH WOUND.......due to some idiot who used it for the wrong reason and then got a lawyer.

rburd2 likes this.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Right......we can grab just a few colors we like and not follow the factory presets example of cramming 64 colors into one picture. :eek:
    Your post helped me realize I've actually got about 8 presets I've used for at least a year without having to tweak any of them. These are the basic ones that go with a style of music. Since I've got the expression pedal too...the pedal is assigned to do different functions, even though everything else with the preset might be the same. On one, for example, it will control gain.....reverb on another......wah........oscillation speed for a Univibe type effect .......phase shifter level.....volume pedal on a country preset.....echo level... There might be only one time I'll use it in a song.....or maybe not at all, but it's nice to have when the situation calls.
    It only takes one or two presets to give me a solid foundation to work off, the rest is just gravy but it's a real treat to have so much available to work with. The most important thing for me ...of course, is getting the basic tone right and knowing the boundary lines for clean, crunch, and solo levels. Once that's established in a preset, whatever effects can be added, from subtle on up.
    During the trial and error of getting the core presets together, it was common to add effects that sounded like a good idea in the beginning but then became a distraction while playing, if that makes any sense.....if that effect became a distraction, it got scrapped. Some ideas work and some don't. It sounded right in the planning but sometimes I couldn't pull it off. This, for me was / is part of the process, and I started out making things more complex than it needed to be, but this is also how i learned a lot about the amp.
    If I was starting from scratch again, I'd stay totally focused only with what I absolutely needed to get through 4 1/2 sets...the same as I would any other amp. Take a look at your variety of songs and separate them out into groups. Try to keep the number of groups as small as possible and then assign a preset or two for each group. Anyway, I've had that strategy for a while now and the goal being to make it all manageable ASAP so the focus can return to the music itself.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

8. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Thats how see it, but i only require one preset and thats all i use for a gig or jam. It stays on 00 all nite. For years I worked with a one channel amp most of the time and used a clean boost for over the top sustain when needed and a little bit of delay to keep it from sounding too dry. So theres my preset....the bassman with a outboard clean boost and a bit of delay. But like you said, it's nice to have all those other possibilities if i ever need them. I suspect if i were still gigging regularly i'd be experimenting with other patches and effects to use on special songs that would benefit from something out of the norm. Now and then if we do a song that i think would benefit a lot from a different model or some effect i never use, i may make a patch for it. But thats all cake.

9. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    Good, it needs a refresh and a lot better and more useable overdrive and distortion settings. Who needs 60 clean settings? I got rid of mine as soon as the Marshall Code came out.

Southpaw Tele likes this.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Which models do you like on your Code? I favor the Silver Jubilee, personally

11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    It's a guitar amp, not a religion or way of life. I am throwing it under the bus because I can and because tastes change. It's great for you and others. Not for me.

12. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Be ready to have Jim Dep search your posting history if you're going to say mean things about the Mustang.

13. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

I played an MIV V2 for a couple of years and posted on several forum that it was a great amp. I still think they are very good. After a couple years I felt it just did not have the vibe I wanted, but I always was a confessed tube snob on a solid state budget. In part thanks to instant equity when the 'stang fell out of the heavens I got back into tubes.

In other words, as musicians we evolve. Today's tools and equipment may not cut it tomorrow.

For me to go back to solid state will take something special, but who knows?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    The Mustang was a "gateway drug" for me. I really liked the Fender amp models in it, but the rest didn't excite me very much. Still, the seed was planted and I'm playing a fully digital rig almost exclusively now.

Archtop Bill likes this.

15. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I agree that the Mustang's overdrive/dirty sounds can leave a little to be desired, but I've gotten decent results with the 70s British, 59 Bassman, and British Watts amps on my Mustang IIIv2. I've also got a clean 65 Deluxe patch with the Green Screamer and a 59 Bassman on the edge of breakup with a Black Box that I'm pretty happy with.

To my ears, my MIII also takes both my overdrives fairly well on my clean patches, though I've found I need to be a bit more judicious with my use of distortion pedals.

To each their own, though. If it's not your cup of tea, I'm glad you found an amp more to your liking. Since I haven't found the opportunity to test drive a CODE yet, I'd like to ask you how its Fender type cleans and Voxish tones are. I trust their Marshall sounds are going to be spot on.

16. bkart

bkart TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Maryland
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I like the GT 40, just because of its name.

[​IMG]

suthol and pdcorlis like this.

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Not sure i like the single 1/4" jack on the back that says "footswitch" and "USB". I wonder what thats about. Anyone have any idea how might work?

"new and improved modeling technology" sounds like the processing power has hopefully been upped, and there are 4 extra buttons so hopefully more features.

One thing i noticed that would be good if i'm right, the baffleboard looks to be ply. Hard tio tell for sure but it looks like i can see grain lines.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

19. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I like the modern look! I also like the fold down "real" handle, so the top of the amp is flat. So far so good. $399 for the 100 watter is not bad at all.
    So far so good. Now if we can use a comp & OD at the same time ----?

pondcaster likes this.

20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    The USB jack is to the right of the "B" in the "USB" label.

Archtop Bill likes this.

21. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I missed that even tho i looked for it. Seems they removed the pics so i can't take another look. Winder why they did that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.