Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

The End Of The Mustang Production Is Here!!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by olefudd, Mar 11, 2017.

1. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I was just on the Fender site and the only Mustang listed is the Mustang 1. Looks like they are ending production. I wonder what they will replace them with?
    I've got a Mustang III V.2 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

2. The Blood

The Blood TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    Kind of an unsupported conclusion...

3-Chord-Genius and Piggy Stu like this.

3. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    There have been rumors of an upgrade coming for some time. I wonder if they'll keep the Mustang name or not?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    They probably will, it's an established name now. Sounds like there's something new in the works for the bigger units.

6. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My guess would be very similar units with Bluetooth connectivity and a FUSE app for phones/tablets. Maybe another amp or effect added or replacing a previous one.

Troubleandahalf likes this.

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    It's their #1 selling amp so i can't imagine in my wildest dreams that they wouldn't replace it with a new and better model. Whether they keep the name or not who knows, but i don';t think losing the name will hurt them. People will gravitate to the new model.

8. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Word on the street is indeed, an upgrade to the line for the second quarter. The Mustang floor never got the V2 upgrade. I wonder if they'll have a new floorboard unit like a poor mans' Helix. That would be a pre order for me.

9. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    Kind of sad to see THE Mustang discontinued. Makes me want to buy a second in case mine breaks. Will people want 'vintage' Mustangs one day? Sure was/is a great amp.

Dreaming for next versions.....

Updated and more amp algorithms
    More cabs (impulse loader)
    Real FRFR with speaker and HF driver
    Do away with datawheel and buttons and put color LCD touchscreen. (Keep the chicken head amp knobs.)
    More memory for pedal slots.. so can do comp and OD pedal at same time.
    Better phones and aux jack.
    MIDI.. could then use any controller.
    Pedalboard with expression pedal, that can display amp name instead of just preset number. BT pedal would be nice.
    BT (control, music playback from phone)
    Wifi (internet connectivity)
    USB
    SD slot (store cab impulses, mp3s, presets)

Keep it affordable.

Above sounds like an amp and tablet combo.. Lol. I really hope the next versions will astound like the previous. I guess we'll see soon what Fender has been keeping so quite.

mikeyb likes this.

10. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    IMO the Mustang could have been more user friendly .

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is the first thing I noticed about my Mustang i v2 I just picked up for travel. Then again, I could probably be happy just twiddling knobs with the stock presets and never connect to a PC. If the OPs suggestion is right, then I'm glad I got mine. I now get what all the hub-bub was about for these awesome amps.

mattbastardson and tery like this.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    It needs iOs and Android connectivity for editing and patch downloads/transmission.
    If that happened with a good user interface then I would be interested.
    IMO it should have some artist presets.

pdcorlis likes this.

13. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    i just hope if they do release a V3 or a differently named modeler, whatever they do i hope the 59 bassman model remains. if not 'd likely buy one from GC anyways and give it the 45 day return period to prove itself better. But otherwise it'll go back and 'll keep using my M3 V2 because no matter how advanced, if can't get that one tone i now get and love, no amount of new features is gonna do it for me. i just hope the bassman remains or another model i can tweak till it's as good, plus they add an assignable graphic EQ. That would likely be the last amp i'd ever buy. As said in another post about an hour ago in a different thread, iMO thats the only thing missing, and using an outboard EQ proved to be the one thing i needed to get perfect tone that i am 100% happy with. So an internal assignable EQ would render the mustang the perfect amp for me.

Route67 likes this.

14. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    No one should have to connect to a PC with today's technology.

boredguy6060 likes this.

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    By far I'd like them to continue to improve the quality of the amp simulations.

And the usual stuff as far as adding amp models and effects. But honestly, I don't care much about that.

Beyond that...

A baltic birch cabinet instead of particle board to lighten the weight further. I read where someone converted their Mustang IV cabinet to birch and cut 22 pounds off. Imagine them knocking 8-10 pounds off the Mustang III.

Higher-quality construction (some parts don't seem built for long-term gigging or repairs).

Corner protectors.

Better font. Wow that Star Trek Next Generation font is tacky.

Maybe lit dials that show the current settings.

A better LCD screen (very narrow viewing angle currently).

Easier to use. Maybe it's me, but I keep getting into situations where I'm editing a model and suddenly can't get it to produce sound any more. I end up having to turn off the amp and start all over. Just makes me uncomfortable trusting it for live use.

If it didn't have a negative effect on the sound, I'd like a smaller cabinet and a NEO speaker to make it even more portable.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

16. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    A looper, preferably with more than 30 seconds loop time.

17. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

In my experience the Mustangs are the most (or only reliable) amp line Fender has. Every other model I hear problems and I have personal experience with problems in the Frontman, Champion and SuperSonic lines.

The V2's are bullet proof.

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    They seem fairly reliable, but they certainly aren't bulletproof, trust me. I've repaired a ton of fender amps and i've had this one open and the way it's constructed and the parts it uses are definitely not long term quality. And I;ve seen lots of people having issues with them. Just go to the mustang forum at the official fender forum site and you'll see many. No, they are not as problematic as some fenders. Especially the old SS series that included the stage 100/160 models and several others. I probably repaired literally 100's of those in my former job and they were uber unreliable. But the mustang while much better i feel is still no where near bulletproof. All the construction techniques used in cheap SS amps that lead to failure are there in the mustang. It's just a matter of time. But they are built better then many fender SS amps because this is one of fender's "non field repairable" models as fender designates certain cheaper amps they make. That means in most if not all cases fender doesn't allow thier service centers to repair them and doesn't supply parts to them to do so. Thats why the amp has a 5 year warranty. If it breaks in 5 they replace. So they do try and make it more reliable than some others, but they will die in time due to the cheap construction and components. That's why if you are a mustang freak to the point you know you will want to keep it for many years or even life, you'd do good to go out and buy a second one in case fender never comes up with another modeler that you like as much. Having the ability to do repairs i should be able to keep mine going a long time. Most parts can be replaced with generic parts with some jury rigging. Biggest concern is the data wheel, and the other likely issues would be internal connectors which is a design thats one of those "just a matter of time" things. They absolutely WILL in time become oxodized and eventually fail. May take 6 months, may take 10 years. The fix is easy, just clean them with contact cleaner or even just removing them reseating them will usually do the trick. But you gotta know how to take it apart and know what to look for etc.

19. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I wonder if Fender will ever build a higher quality modeling amp?
    In terms of reliability, if you get 5 years out of $200 amp then you're probably doing ok. There are pedals that cost more than that.

Archtop Bill likes this.

20. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I doubt it, at least not until modeling becomes more popular than tube amps. Because unlike kemper or most other modelers, the fender company has a huge interest in tube amp sales and the last thing i think they want to do is lose that huge market to sell a single modeling amp. Thats my personal speculation but i think it's pretty sensible to assume thats the case to one degree or another.

But if they built a tank with the bassman model or another i liked as much that was built to last with a assignable graphic EQ, i'm in at most any cost that i can muster within reason. I'm pretty sure that would be my last amp. Hell, my current MIII V2 just may be as is.

21. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    What does Fender do with the failed Mustangs? Wow.. most are likely just cheap connectors failing. Easy fix.
    I don't recall seeing new 'factory refurbished' Mustangs for sale.

Jim Dep likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.