Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Emeraldcaster Project (aka Son of Meloncaster)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Buckocaster51, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Routing through that stuff would be scary. If you routed before applying goop, you'd have to mask the channels, and peeling the tape would be scary. And then gluing in the binding without getting CA or whatever on the finish, and filling gaps--also scary.

Turns out it's all kinda scary.... :eek:

:lol:

2. smokedoctor

smokedoctor TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Would a capable person be able to flake a guitar with a mini flake buster, or would the full sized be best? The mini seems less intimidating.

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    i have only used the Flake Buster. It works and works well for my needs and use.

Have only seen the mini-flakebuster on the Web.

4. rowka

rowka Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2011
    Jax, FL

5. smokedoctor

smokedoctor TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Oklahoma

6. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

7. lamf37

lamf37 TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Cardiff
    I've been through this thread from start to finish, I stumbled across it when looking for flake to buy in the UK. I have been painting guitars for a number of years, always only ever worked using Nitro-Cellulose from a paint gun, I have in the past tried with success using flake through a 2.2 tip gun, but as I've read your posts know the same problem is the gun is useless for using afterwards, I have recently bought a flake gun, not exactly the same as the "Flake Buster" but works on the same principal, air draws through the dry flakes and you hit them onto wet paint..Since I've started using it I've had no end of problems, lacquer running, Flakes uneven(heavy in some areas - light in others) the worst problem is the uneven flake scenario, when I've attempted to even it up the areas end up building too high compared to the rest, would you have any tips on using the flake gun whilst also using a spray gun as the lacquer applicator, I don't want to go back to using rattle cans as I've invested too much money into paints over the years to justify spending £10.00 a time on a can of nitro for every guitar I want to "Flake Up"...any help would be greatly appreciated. Your work is incredible. Rich

8. rowka

rowka Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2011
    Jax, FL
    My experience with the Flake Buster was similar to yours on my tests.
    What I found worked for me was to keep the air flow through the gun low so the flake would "mist" an shoot the flake "above" the guitar so it falls onto the wet surface.

Also, I went for full flake coverage so uneven isn't really an issue.

9. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Have you watched the FlakeBuster tutorials?

Dialogue is pretty basic...;)

10. lamf37

lamf37 TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Cardiff
    Yeah, seen that video, but it's not the same scenario that I have, I am having massive heavy flaked areas and some not so. I am spraying my guitars from a hanging position, maybe that's where im going wrong, should I be doing them from a flat surface using some sort of turntable to spin the guitar around as I go.

11. lamf37

lamf37 TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Cardiff
    What PSI is your gun set at for the flake?

12. FernandoEsteves

FernandoEsteves TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Brazil - São Paulo
    After 70 and something pages... I abandon the search for the pink sparkle pictures alone... Can you repost it? :)
    Very nice finishes!

13. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    You mean this one right here?

[​IMG]

Thank you kindly.

14. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    To do the front and back I support it by the ends over a plastic tub.

[​IMG]

Tub keeps the surface level and collect the overspray.

To do the rims I hold the paint stick with my left hand and spray with my right.

It probably makes me look like a one-armed paper-hanger with the hives.

;)

JackS2 likes this.

15. lamf37

lamf37 TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Cardiff

Cheers for that, I appreciate the replies. So let me understand your method having read the whole thread this is what I gather. Stick a hook at the bottom of the guitar, attach wood to neck pocket(skipping all the prepatory work) spray with (Acrylic/Nitro/Enamel?) then hit with the flake buster? repeat this for all sides and back.

Maybe my problem lies with using nitro as the sticking coat for the flake, it dries too quickly for the flake to stick in large enough areas!!!!!

1. do you spray the clear on whilst the guitar is in position over the Tub or do you clear it elsewhere before adding the flake?

2. How do you succeed in keeping the lacquer wet enough when doing the sides to change guns from lacquer to flake?

3. what is your drying time for the initial flake covering before you hit it with the top clear coats.

I understand that all these questions are probably answered in amongst this 344 behemoth thread, but would there be any chance of an idiots guide including a step by step process you follow from inception to final buffing?

16. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2010
    San Dimas
    Wow, 344 pages.

I've seen several different methods in this thread. What is the preferred method and materials for someone using rattle cans and no spray setup for flake? I'd have to use some method of "sprinkling" the flake and rattle cans.

(Apologies in advance as I'm sure the answer lies somewhere in these 344 pages.) :eek:

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, preferred by ME, is this:

[​IMG]
    Poke a jillion holes in a jar. Put in flake.

[​IMG]
    Prepare a sparkle bin to hold the guitar and the over-sprinkle.

Lay down a wet coat of clear (not in the bin!), set the guitar in the bin, sprinkle copious amounts of flake before the clear flashes off. You'll probably never get a decent picture of this step, because you'll be busier than a one-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest....

[​IMG]
    Pop the lid on to prevent rogue elements from joining the flake.

Once the clear flashes off, turn the guitar over and bump it a couple times to knock off the loose stuff. Maybe blow on it. ;)

Inspect for bald spots and repeat the application process if necessary.

[​IMG]
    I keep it in the bin with the lid on between applications of clear.

Good luck!

18. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    The method explained by my friend Mr. Jupiter works very well.

Just make sure that you have compatibility between whatever you use to stick the flake on and the clear you use to bury it.

and remember...these things take time...if you trap solvents under 20 layers of something...you are in for problems...and then some

have fun and enjoy!

19. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Actually, the original Meloncaster (<--- click here) was done pretty much with rattle cans and paint brushes.

The clear was DuPont Imron that I brushed on with cheap Dollar General brushes. It all gets sanded flat anyway... ;)

20. poorman

poorman TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2010
    San Dimas
    Thanks, gents! I'm planning a red sparkle strat for my niece.

So when you're putting down the wet coat of deft to sprinkle flake over, is it spray can deft?

That raises another question, what brands of rattle can (primer ,color and clear) are good? I once painted a guitar with Krylon and it looked good for a while then it got all messed up. Wouldn't dry, started wrinkling and cracking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.