Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The elusive 1943 Copper penny.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 8, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No, what you'll be dealing with is someone born after 1996.

I bought some Popeyes Chicken from a location between Phoenix and Tucson off I-10. Casa Grande maybe?

We had driven a long way and just handed the guy a Twenty and my change should've been $ 1.34. I got a dollar bill and a quarter and the otherwise extremely friendly and helpful Chicken Guy wasn't even remotely apologetic that I was shortchanged nor did I say anything. They couldn't even bother to put dimes in their change drawer I suppose. Youngsters see no point in these "nonsense" denominations of change and maybe they don't do many cash sales at all in that location. Other places waste huge amounts of time playing with small coins when you're in a rush. What does nine cents even mean anymore? Isn't it more in the nature of people opening doors for one another in one town and not in the next place?

I think it was 1967 when the UK converted their coinage to 100 count units and no more thruppence or shillings and all that and those coins were rendered obsolete. I'm beginning to realize that time and changing folkways will render One, Five and Ten cent pieces, US coinage, every bit as obsolete in the real world.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Could have been a dulled 1907 Indian $10dol gold piece.

aerhed likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm all for going cashless. I know the mention of Starbucks will cause a certain amount of hair ignition and the running around with said hair on fire ... but DANG IT, I pass one on the way to work and it's better than office coffee, so I git one. I got me a Starbucks card and it's faster than hanging over a $5 bill and waiting for change or using a credit or debit card -- it's the fastest way to pay. Plus I get a reward that equals about 10% back, which I take in bacon sammiches.

I am ready to take on all Starbucks haterz!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Woops, wrong thread!

5. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Cool,with that perhaps you have "coined" a new phrase. "It's just my nine cents worth" do you mind if I use it?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Now about the WHY. At Pearl Harbor the USS Nevada BB-36 was the only battleship to get underway but she was bombed near the narrow neck at the entrance of the harbor and badly damaged. She had to be beached opposite Hospital Point to prevent her sinking in the channel. After the battle she was towed to Puget Sound and rebuilt. Her main switchboard, through which thousands of amps worth of current were switched, had been submerged and had to be completely rebuilt. By that time copper was in extremely short supply because it was going into construction of the armaments needed to gear up for the war. They built the new switchboard out of sterling silver. A permanent Marine watch was stationed in the switchboard room until she was decommissioned in 1946 and the switchboard was removed. Nevada served through five campaigns in WWII.

Bob

boris bubbanov, RodeoTex and aerhed like this.
  7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    That's my move! One down, a couple thousand more to go.
    Might even spring for a new fangled Fuzz Box while I'm at it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Bidding had opened at $ 130,000 and the "street" had it selling around $ 170,000. This is a very handsome amount over that, if not a bonanza.

What I wanna know is, if this coin traveled all the way from Philadelphia to Massachusetts and is not close IMO to being in Uncirculated condition, how can they be so sure it was the "first" of the 10-15 to come into existence. I could easily see some savvy guys spotting some 1943 coppers at the Mint or nearby and quietly slipping them into their pockets and waiting for their "investment" to fully mature. I remember owning certain "error" coins long before any of the "experts" acknowledged they existed. I just sat on them and waited for the market to "discover" them. I guess it has a certain provenance of moving hundreds of miles through commerce and that's cool and maybe some of the other coins are besmirched because they were maybe purloined, but who keeps track of all this stuff? The coin (or should be) what you see, unless it is altered or counterfeit.

I could tell when a purported 1922 one cent piece had tool marks on it, but these coins don't have serial numbers - how would one ever know which one was struck first?

9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    The guy that bought the penny just mentioned ^ has his shop a few miles down the road from me. I think I'll go over there and check it out once he gets it displayed. Btw, he says he's going to resell it after he keeps it for awhile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.