The elusive 1943 Copper penny.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i saw an easy way to check 82 pennies...get a tongue depressor and a known copper penny...say a 1970s era...balance the tongue depressor on a pen...put the penny on the end of the depressor and move it so that the penney just tips the depressor down...now tape it to the pen...now put an 83 or newer penny on it...it shouldnt move down...once you get that going now try the 82 penny...ones that dip are copper and ones that dont are zinc plated copper

or get a scale and find their weight...not as much fun as the tongue depressor tester :lol:

Buckocaster51, DADGAD and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My former and last employer, was a product of the depression era. He was forced out of his home at the ripe old age of fourteen. He came to California and began to make his fortune. Then world war two happened and he went to New Guinea. He was a generous man to his employees, and found fame as a race car driver of some note, as did his son, and grandson. Not Nascar stuff, but pretty well known at places like the defunct Mesa Marin.

One day I tossed one of my shirt pocket note books in the trash, and my boss retrieved it and said; Damn TD you've only wrote on one side of the pages! His lunch consisted of a half sandwich and an apple. It was funny to see him tight in some ways, in others well, he always had a nice car, and pickup to drive sometimes several. Then again, he'd turn his tee shirts around and wear 'em backwards when the collars became frayed in the front. Like you say BB some of those folks never quite got over the depression. He was a helluva man though, and treated me great the entire time I was in his, and later his families employ.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you keep right on collecting them, before you know it, you can have the Custom Shop Tele you always wanted!

String Tree likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A Liberty Head 5 cent piece in change? That's pretty cool. I used to find the Indian Head/ Buffalos often but usually they were so worn you could hardly make out the date. We call those "culls" and they're of minimal value.

You missed the rare and exceptionally valuable 1913 Liberty Head nickel by just one year. To me that was more of a Holy Grail than those '43 coppers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Tommy Biggs and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

There were also 2 cent pieces in a cupro-nickel used later for the 5 cent pieces. When 3 and 5 cent pieces were made of silver and thin, they were smaller than the dime but at the same time, the dime was bigger then than it is now.

I guess the smallest USA coinage was a One Dollar Gold Coin. Although because gold is so heavy it may have weighed more than some of those silver 3 cent pieces. I forget.

Sorry to hear you collection got stolen. Part of why I got away from collecting coins was breakins in New Orleans were so common that most any collection was doomed. Cool city but not much respect for other people's property rights.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

boredguy6060 likes this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A 1943-D copper ver sold over $1.m
    The 1943-S only $200,000

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

11. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

At the time I found those Flying Eagles I lived in a densely populated, lower-middle-class urban area. Most folks I knew had piggy banks, jars, an old sock, etc. where they kept spare change. After I expressed an interest in collecting coins, my grandmother pulled out a piggy bank which she'd had for decades, and told me I could look through the change to see if there were any old coins that I might want. From that bank I got more than 30 Indian Head cent pieces as well as at least that many more pennies minted prior to 1930. Point being, that you may be right about me catching a rebound, but it was probably not from a hobbyist's collection, but from someone who dipped into a long held, forgotten spare-change collection that they'd discovered in a basement or closet shelf.

boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess that's why they don't sell penny candy anymore - it made no cents...

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Good to know that I can keep saying penny and nickel and if the person I'm talking to replies, "I am sorry, good sir, but I know not of what you speak", I'll know I'm dealing with a numismatic, and back away slowly.

[​IMG]

Zepfan and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I learn something new every day! Its interesting to see that the Treasury admits that even they use the term penny since that is the term in general use. And in every instance on that page, save for the explanation of disambiguation, they refer to the one cent coin as a penny. I guess its just easier to use one word to name an object than to use a three word description of the object (penny for one cent piece, nickel for five cent coin, dime for ten cent coin etc.).

Could you imagine if the Telecaster was known as the six string plank instead? ;)

15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tried to start a numismatic thread last year I think..it did not go far

Perhaps pirate coins or 4 or 8 reales might work.

16. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid my mom told me about the overly large Indian Head cents she saw as a kid. I believed she was just confusing coins until i found one in a coin selling antique store. It was a normal I.H. cent except that it was bigger than a normal cent , but smaller than a nickle. Oddly it wasn t in my coin price guide and I didn t see it on the web when I looked years ago. Anyone have any info ?

18. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Sooo.....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  19. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

It really did exist now maybe they'll find one of those Unicorns.

20. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Without looking it up, I would imagine shell casings were used in the immediate postwar years.

Zinc pennies are lighter in weight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.