The elusive 1943 Copper penny.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Thomas Jefferson was bugged by Cents being called Pennys due to rejection at the time of all things British. Thats where I first became aware of that, reading his Biography. Our coin says "One Cent" while an English predecimal coin says "One Penny".

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I use to have a 2 cent and a 3 cent piece before my coin collection was stolen. $.02 was Copper and bigger than a Nickle. $.03 was Silver and smaller than a Dime.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

And a nickel says "five cents", but is not the coin still called a nickel?

Predecimal, British money was pounds/shillings/pence. A "cent" would make no sense since there were 240 pence in a pound.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Okay you penny hounds, when did the US penny change from solid copper to copper plated zinc?

It makes a difference if you use a penny to test minerals on Mohs Cale Of Hardness.

aerhed and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Here’s the earlier companion volume to the penny collection posted above. This one is much more sparsely populated.

The earliest my brother and I collected was 1910. Never found the elusive 1909 VDB or the even rarer 1909 SVDB.

8C08C0D2-3FAB-4561-A86D-5595B9DA863D.jpeg

A1F518BD-CE13-495D-90B6-BA22812AE2C7.jpeg

Attached Files:

boredguy6060 and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

That's the one !

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I actually found a 1912 nickel in my lunch change one day back around 1977, still have it. Haven't seen anything interesting since then. BTW, I have a 1943, 1943-D and 1943-S steel penny, no copper unfortunately.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The rumor was always that there was just one. Now they say there may have been as many as twelve. I'm not sure how many are accounted for. You simply can't imagine the anticipation I experienced every time I would get a stash of pennies and go through them. I probably passed over some that would be collectors today at a lower value, but I was looking for the big money!

Tommy Biggs and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

The absolute freedom I knew as a child without being fettered by endless rules and regulations, phones, and general busy bodies was indeed sweet. There was evil in the world, but I had yet to meet it on a personal basis.

MickM and boredguy6060 like this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I found a penny from 1908.
    I thought that was cool. I looked it up.
    In its condition, Eight Cents!!!

Living Right!

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Before Australia went metric in the 70s I can remember as a kid in the early 60s when a penny, halfpenny and threepenny ( pronounced thrupenny) could actually buy you some sweets, a bottle of coke -sixpence ( 5 cents) a whole lunch for a shilling (10 cents).

boredguy6060 likes this.
  13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Staff Member Ad Free Member

I’ve got some pretty rare dimes, including some from the late 1800s. I don’t know much about any of them.

14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

When I was growing up my "holy grail" penny was the 1856 Flying Eagle

[​IMG]

I found both an 1857 and 1858 F.E. in circulation in the late 1950s which gave me a crazy hope that I'd find the much rarer 1856 (currently worth more than $20,000). I still have those two Flying Eagles, and I never fail to look at pennies I receive in change just in case...

boris bubbanov and uriah1 like this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

I feel this way about James Jamerson's stolen P Bass – the bass that was played on innumerable Motown songs in the '60's. It was stolen from the trunk of his car in Los Angeles in the '80's. I was born and raised in L.A., and still live here. It'd be the kick of a lifetime to happen upon it in some junk shop, pawn shop, Craig's List, or something like that.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

1982, is my recollection. I'll take a chance I've got it right.

To me, when dropped on a tabletop, they sound different. And to me they seem lighter in weight.

+

OK. Back to your court: What years did the US Mint use spent shell casings as the raw material for One Cent pieces?

+

Btw, yeah folks, "numismatists" or coin collectors call them One Cent and Five Cent pieces and not pennies or nickels. Does anyone know that the first USA Five cent pieces were also called Half Dismes or Half Dimes and those (like some 3 cent pieces) were silver?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

I had heard 12 when I was a kid, but all of our info in those days came through the grapevine or Popular Mechanics. For extra points it was Tom McCahill giving us the inside dope most of the time.

19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i think everyone of us have a better chance of writing a hit song than find a 1943 copper penny

ive been checking my change and bills since i was an early teen...just last month taking a collection for our christmas lunch...a guy gave me a 5 dollar star note...im like...keeper!...it was only worth 5 dollars in its condition and the serial number was in a 3.2 million print run so...but i like them and keep all i find...even 2...10s and 20s...most common are the 1 dollar star notes

now if i could only find a 1 dollar web note

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like some "underinformed" person liquidated one of your neighbor's coin collection and you caught the rebound. I never scored anything quite as amazing as that. The oldest One Cent coin I ever found in circulation was something like an 1887. My problem was I lived in a mostly suburban or ex-urban setting and there were no grand old collections in the hands of anyone within miles of the places I lived. The wonderful old coins I did get were always gifts. Actually I also helped build an extensive collection for my maternal grandfather and here coins went up two generations instead of going the usual way.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.