Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Eagles Rise Again With Two Fill-Ins; Vince Gill & Frey's son

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Flakey, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    If people want to see them, fine.

I have no desire to see them live, but I felt that way when Frey was alive. They're letter-perfect and as exciting as a mashed potato sandwich in concert. I like a lot of the songs with Frey's lead vocals, but I think it's been amply demonstrated that Henley was much more talented as both a vocalist and, more significantly, a songwriter. Then why not just see Henley solo? Good question. The presence of Walsh. The historic import. Come to think of it, I've seen Henley live (back in '85), but never the Eagles.

>>I got soured on The Eagles when the whole Don Felder thing went down. Not only was it ugly, but I always thought Felder was core to the sound they had when I was a fan.>>

It's nice to have as many of the classic era members as possible, but Felder was never core to anything in the Eagles. He's a great guitar player and he wrote the music to "Hotel California," but he couldn't have turned the music he wrote into that song in a million years.

I think Felder got screwed over when they forced him out of the band for questioning the accounting, but he probably didn't get screwed over in the settlement of his lawsuit. Don & Glenn's big mistake was making him a full partner in the band when they brought him in. That was an act of kindness they were careful not to repeat.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

2. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state
    I saw them Saturday night in Seattle with the Doobie Brothers. Full disclosure, I went under protest due to my perception of the Henley/Frey/Felder issue but my daughter (who has gone with me to see Robben Ford and Tab Benoit although not really a blues fan), really wanted me to go.
    The Doobies played well, current keyboardist is one of the founding members of Little Feat and they had two Nashville session guys on bass and drums respectively. Lots of energy(Pat Simmons is from Aberdeen Washington...), good harmonies and excellent musicianship.

The Eagles opened with Seven Bridges Road, as expected the harmonies were great. Vince Gill covered both the Frey and Meisner stuff vocally very well without being a mimic, New Kid in Town, Tequila Sunrise and Take it to the limit(including the insane upper register stuff!).

Frey's son Deacon, looks a bit like his father but I felt like he was along for name recognition only. He sang two songs in key but didn't add anything.

Stu Smith was great on the Felder stuff, I don't hold a gig like this against him, the fact that someone had to play those iconic parts reality. He was great. Joe Walsh was Joe Walsh, they covered a bunch of his stuff, Funk 49, In the City, Life's Been Good and Rocky Mountain Way.

Don Henley's vocals sounded weak to me. He stood out front and strummed a guitar most of the time. They had a string section, a horn section and percussionist who played the drums on 65% of the songs. The extra musicians allowed for some of interesting arrangements.

All in all, see the DBs and Eagles was a good experience. I last saw each of them over 37 years ago.

Mechanic likes this.

3. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I'd rather go to a blocked drain.

Anode100 likes this.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I read something recently that KISS intends to keep playing forever, even after all the original members are gone. I guess that's plan for The Eagles as well.

The brand must go on.

5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    As long as Henley is alive, I'd imagine there will be an "Eagles". It will die with him.

Kiss is a different story.

Mechanic likes this.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I saw the Doobies this past August, with Bill Payne, session ace & former keyboardist with Little Feat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Payne

The summer of '78, was the only time I caught the Eagles...their harmonies were stunning!

SubDoc likes this.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I think you underestimate Irving Azoff, but, sure.

RyCo1983 likes this.

8. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    He'll have to buy into their corporation to have any power on that sort of endeavour. But I'm sure Henley is for sale. Bro loves $$$

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^Since the mid-70's the Eagles have been Frey/Henley/Azoff - and hired hands.

If we all collectively said "We have no more money !" , do you think they'd go away ?

I mean, for good ?

Fearnot and Tony Forman like this.

10. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Saw the Eagles at the Classics East Concert CitiField, NYC not too long ago. Vince Gill fit like a glove with the group. I really took notice when he was singing lead, excellent.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    This whole "let's get the kid to take his place" thing seemed to start with Jason Bonham, and bands have latched onto it as a way to make it somehow more acceptable to replace key members.

In some cases it probably works out fine, but really, it's a bit silly.

12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Saw Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Boz Scaggs Shaeffer stadium mid 70's - right on stadium floor in front of stage. IMHO Felder blew Joe Walsh doors off. All 3 acts presented their tunes exactly as on the LP's

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Azoff is a full partner in The Eagles®. Just him and Henley now, I suppose.

14. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state
    In Jason Bonham's case it works. He is a good drummer even outside of the Zep or John Bonham tributes. Dylan Frey is, upon reflection, Glen Frey's son.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.