Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

the difference between paper and oil caps and the orange drop types??

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by rjtwangs, Aug 3, 2017.

1. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Someone do a double-blind test with various caps of exactly the same *measured* value in the exact same guitar amongst a good sample size of musicians--then I'll believe there's a difference because of materials used in the cap.

2. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    I have researched the topic enough to come to a couple of conclusions that I believe can be backed up .
    And that would be that in guitar use the only 2 things that matter are the value of the cap and being sure you install it correctly in the circuit. There is a directional bias to be aware of because of the way the caps are constructed.

This vid is way more info than needed but, if a person can watch like 10 minutes of it they will learn something. (unless you are already informed on the subject.)

ymmv.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    ^^FWIW that only applies to caps with outer foil, and w/ foil on one end only. Some caps have no outer foil at all, and some with outer foil can be used both ways, as the outer foil reaches both ends. The outer foil does better with less impedance to ground, because it'll act like a shield around the cap. Backwards, it can have an antennae like effect and increase noise floor. The difference in a guitar would be negligible. In an amp, you can definitely get a lower noise floor with proper outer foil orientation.

...but what do I know? Some people dont even believe in shielding their guitars, but they're going to go crazy over a cap type or its direction. Lol OK o_O

Btw, FWIW, I orient the outer foil in all my amps builds and it definitely helps keep the noise floor lower than typical mass produced amps, which are not built quite as carefully.

4. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    I appreciate you trying to make me learn something..lol

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    I would mearly suggest you consider this:

A guitar company that likes to hint at the almost mythical amalgam of magical components used to construct it's premium products, uses bargain basement ceramic caps.

If magic caps aren't good enough for Maryland, they surely can't benefit the rest of us....

I rest my case.

6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

The human ear and all the biological circuitry involved that ends up producing a perceived sound is a tricky thing. Sometimes we hear things that aren't there, and sometimes we don't hear what is there. Emerson evidently must feel there is enough demand to manufacture and market a line of "new" pio caps. Personally, I like what vitamin Q does for my hearing ;).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I've done this in all my guitars and will continue to do so - a .022 cap will stay usable all the way down the range, and a .01 will just take the bite off the top, which is generally all I want anyhow.

telemnemonics likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.