The Dead Don't Die.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

....but the film sure did! What a dawg of a movie.

Seldom have I seen a movie try so hard to be hip, funny, an 'inside' joke....it reeked of desperation to be relevant and clever but instead it was devoid of humour, creativity and distinctiveness.

I sat through most of it with my mind wandering between a woodworking project I have to complete and the unfinished falafel I left in my truck.

I can't say enough horrible things about it.

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I can't wait for it to get on Netflix.
    Well, maybe I can.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. boneyguy

I wish we hadn't spent the money......I'd recommend waiting for it on Netflix....then you don't have to feel obligated to watch it right to the end.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

A friend & big time fan of the genre, told me she was disappointed in the movie...I’ll wait for it on TV

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

So...I suppose you've never seen a Jim Jarmusch movie.

If you went in expecting a horror movie, a "normal movie," or even a "zombie movie," it's no wonder you hated it.

The only reason for anyone to go see it is if they already like Jim Jarmusch flicks, or at least some of them. That's it. The movie isn't going to make a Jarmusch fan to of someone who isn't already.

I kind of like him, and kind of don't. I think some of his flicks are masterful, and some are just pompous crap. I thought this one was weak, albeit mostly enjoyable as cheap entertainment for a few hours.

I enjoyed parts of the movie. I did not enjoy others. I certainly laughed quite a lot, especially in the first 30 minutes. At no point did I take it "seriously," before, during, or after. I went to eat popcorn and drink soda and rot my brain with my wife. And that we did.

I hate it when movies feel the need to plainly explain their metaphors. It's just unintelligent and patronizing to me. I also hate it when movies reference themselves as being movies, and/or "break the fourth wall." Other than those things, it was "as expected," without needing to say whether it was good or bad.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Wildcard_35 and JayFreddy like this.
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Even by Jarmusch standards that was a waste of my time.

boneyguy and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bummer, I've been looking forward to watching it when it's free on Netflix or YouTube. I thought it might have been a bit weak considering it was Hollywood big budget. I like a good portion of scare factor in a Zombie movie. The Zombies need to be as fast or faster than the non Zombies imo.

28 days later was a decent Zombie movie for the time, could have been better.
    Hollywood took it, increased the budget by a lot and ruined the sequel.

Word War Z had promise but also fell flat. They just can't get it right despite who they cast or how much money they throw at it.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mmmm, falafel...mmm....:D

err, what were you saying?...:rolleyes:

boneyguy and drf64 like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Here's a free Zombie movie with a twist I watched the other day. Had some funny moments for a cheesy free Zombie movie.
    Was ok for a time killer.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

John Mayer will be happy to learn about this.

Texicaster likes this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Started reading this pre-coffee. I was 6 posts in before I realized this wasn't about the Grateful Dead. :eek:

12. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Another Zombie movie? How come the horror genre can't be anything other than zombies now?

13. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Well, most of Hollywood is already dead so finding zombies isn't hard...

Bones likes this.
  14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

I haven't seen it yet, i love Jarmush, he is one of my favourite filmmaker but i keep on reading bad reviews about this movie, also a friend of mine told me that it's not a good movie at all. :cry::cry::cry:

It happens, his last two movies were very good so i will forgive you Jim. :):)

boneyguy likes this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I thought this was going to be a DeadCo post, possibly containing a tidbit about Bob or John. There are too many notes to be played & heard to waste time on zombie movies.

drf64 likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too bad. I like Murray and would be cool to see Iggy and the lady from Taxi as Zombies..
    I would go to see that..

Flakey likes this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Glad I wasn't the only one. I was about 50 words into a response. Now as for zombies...OK if you say so. I stopped watching zombie movies when George Romero died...thought everything to say about them had been said. Apparently I've been missing something.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Saw a preview of it about a week b4 it came out with my buddy John who teaches film.

He was literally squirming in his seat and whispering “oh no...oh no...” during the film.

They went meta -twice. For no damn reason.

I love Jarmusch but this is easily the worst thing I’ve seen from him.

Plus - as others have said - after Shaun Of The Dead and Zombieland what more can be done with “funny zombie movie” as a genre ? (Answer : nothing)

I watched Paterson on Netflix , which I hadn’t seen, as a palate cleanser the next day. It renewed my faith in Jim.

boneyguy likes this.
  19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Looks like I’ll wait for it go get to Netflix and not watch it then

Bones, Flakey, mrmousey and 2 others like this.
  20. boneyguy

I'm familiar with Jarmusch and knew it would be 'quirky'.....I like quirky a lot. I spent many years as a devout movie buff so it's not easy to throw me off balance with 'non-traditional' movie making but this just wasn't competent movie making. It had a foul air of desperate "please like me because I'm trying so hard to be like-ably quirky" permeating the whole thing. As you mention one thing that was utterly inexcusable was the need to have Tom Waits explain the metaphor in a voice over. Oh, come on...really?!!

And I'm educated enough to know that the movie wasn't accidentally awful. It appears that he made the movie he wanted to make. The directorial flavour was extremely heavy handed....the quirky, wooden acting from everyone playing the simpleton small town characters....(the only people to appear animated and normal were the three teenagers from out of town...metaphor alert!!).....I know it was all intentionally directed in that manner but simply because it was 'on purpose' and 'different' doesn't automatically qualify it as good or some sort of brilliant vision. It was in fact very clumsy and poorly executed in my mind.

I recall only laughing out loud once...a mild guffaw....when Bill Murray asks why the Sturgill Simpson song sounds familiar as they're driving in the cop car. Now, that's where they should have left it....that was adequately funny and didn't need any expansion from there....but nope, sidekick cop has to explain why it's familiar and now the movie becomes self-referential in a very hackneyed and clumsy way that was, I think, a desperate attempt to appear clever and edgy.

In the theatre I was in (maybe only 15 people!) I heard genuine laughter maybe 4 times throughout the whole pic.

Anyway, I was hugely dissapointed from beginning to end....I hope some people enjoy it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.