Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"The DALMORE" Telecaster by Ron Kirn

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Arlo, May 16, 2008.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Turn it over and play 'Wipe Out' on the back for 10 minutes...

It is interesting to see what all falls out too. :D

2. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2005
    SF North Bay
    wow, that looks like as fine a guitar as there ever was or will be. Absolutely beautiful. And I'm very intrigued about those pickups. Tell us about them.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Why do I suspect this is a picture of the future?

4. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    I agree. Why aren't Fender doing this sort of stuff? Or is the TDPRI a cheap source of market research - that they don't listen to? :eek:

:eek: Peter

5. SMPTE

SMPTE Tele-Afflicted

Aug 21, 2006
    Minneeeesoooottta
    I just assume they check in from time to time. They have to be careful in a lot of ways, not just making a business case for any particular build.

6. Taipan

Taipan Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2007
    Western NY State
    +1000 You guys have raised the bar with this one!

7. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Dalmore with Bill's MINI COILS!

I have posted a video on You Tube demonstrating the clean sounds with the new Bill Lawrence "MINI COIL" pickup's

Part 2 will be with distortion. The Dalmore and these pups are quite a match. :cool:

8. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    A little too metallic sounding for me, but I am thinking it is not the PUP.

I need some scotch... ;)

9. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Aberdeen, Scotland, Yewrup
    Is it the actual video recorder that is making it compressed/limited ? The compression is sucking the hell out of it unfortunately.
    I am hoping to be near the Dalmore distillery on Friday this week or Monday next week so I'll take some photos for you.

10. w0odman

w0odman Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2003
    Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Q-filter. I like it better when you have it rolled back to 5. Is it controlled with a concentric pot? Or doesn't the guitar have a normal tone control at all?

Anxiously awaiting the distortion...... :twisted:

11. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Part 2

Bob, the metallic sound you hear may be the vocal Mic picking up the actual pick hitting the strings. It is a sensitive Mic and the Focusrite has a noise gate but it still bleeds through. I could post just the audio track of the guitar in an MP3 form for you guys later.

There was compression on the guitar. However it is a combination of the Focusrite on the voice Mic picking up the guitar amp and the compression I used to master the audio with after that I believe is causing it to sound squished.

The guitar in all of my videos runs through my dbx 163a and that is on everything. So it did get a little compressed sounding and I don't have enough time to redo it all before NAMM. Further, another factor is that the pickups are so damn hot. Easily the loudest pickups I have ever used in a Tele and so I may need to back off the compression a wee tad.

I am just getting used to these and no demonstration will ever be better than your own ears and your guitar in your own hands. ;)

Here is part 2 with distortion and effects toward the end.

12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I actually noticed that more dirty. But yea, that added component to the tone clean was throwing my ears. It also seemed like your comfort level with the git is raising quickly from Vid 1 to 2.

Sounds nice nasty to me. ;)

13. Van_The_Man

Van_The_Man TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Holland
    Beautiful, beautiful guitar.

Sounds great! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    I am going to post additional files that you can listen to. These are simply the guitar track with no compression except for the dbx 163a.

So there is no voice telling you what is happening either.

But the guitar is much clearer.

mini coil clean.mp3

mini coil distortion.mp3

15. jcw

jcw Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2005
    WOW. That's some nice playing there!!

16. w0odman

w0odman Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2003
    Awesome playing Arlo. Those pickups sound great with some dirt. :twisted:

17. SMPTE

SMPTE Tele-Afflicted

Aug 21, 2006
    Minneeeesoooottta
    Have they given you an idea of when they'll be in full production? The pickups that is. :)

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I gotta get me one of those....:lol:

Ron Kirn

19. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2008
    Calgary, Canada
    Incredible tone on that neck pickup with dirt. You play awesomely well! Beautiful guitar by Mr. Kirn!

20. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    They certainly have some serious output for such a tiny coil! Amazing to look at them with nothing hiding the guts.

I am not sure when they will be available but if I know Bill he would be saying now. So I wouldn't hesitate to ask him for some if you are interested. He has mentioned being unsure about keeping them with the adjustable pole pieces but if my say is worth anything I will recommend that they stay.

Ron, I will get you a set bro. He is making them for Strat's as well you just let me know what you need and I'm buying. The least I can do for you.

By the way this Dalmore plays like a dream. The action and sustain are incredible. You sure know your stuff bro.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.