Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"The DALMORE" Telecaster by Ron Kirn

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Arlo, May 16, 2008.

1. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    A couple of months ago I acquired a third piece of Pine from the nicely grained batch that Ol Piney came from. Originally I had bought 2 pieces from Marty "guitarbuilder" one became Ol' Piney the other became my first Burst.

This new piece was somewhat of a fluke. I had asked Marty to make me a Telecaster from Pine with a vintage Strat tremolo rout? I also asked if he had any more of that beautifully straight grained Pine that the other two had come from?

Marty replied that he did not have anymore of that particular wood. But he had made a Tele body for a friend of his in the Mid West whom he thought might be interested in selling. He explained "That one did come from that batch of Pine." I was instantly interested and contacted Marty's friend via email. We discussed it for a month and never really got around to completing the transaction. I completely forgot all about it until some months later. Almost let that one slip through my fingers!

Here is a great example of the proof of kinship. Top is Ol Piney.
    [​IMG]
    Bottom is the new piece with the trem rout.

Anyway we came to an agreement and I purchased this 3rd body.

[​IMG]

I was told it was a rough cut and needed some attention. It wasn't ready for paint and it had a couple of small issues. One of them was that there was a small chunk that had broken out at the trem rout. A piece had been glued back in. Not a big deal since it would be covered with the bridge and it wasn't significant cosmetically or functionally.

Spring approached and I decided that I would do something a little different with this one rather than finishing it myself. I decided to do a double binding with a nice nitro paint finish. My experience with Ron Kirn on the "Digger Pines" and the "MK Honey Burst" pine body's left little choice as to who was going to do this important finish work.

If you have recently joined the TDPRI and you would like to see just how excellent and professional Ron's work is take a look at this thread!

OK... so I promised... here ya are. . . .

I contacted Ron and asked if he could do this new Pinecaster for me. He said no problem send it on down.

Before I did I was sitting at the table with a freshly opened bottle of Dalmore Scotch single malt whiskey. Had just poured a nice healthy glass over the rocks and was admiring the bottle and the label when it struck me. Here is the color of the new Pinecaster I was looking for. A nice vintage amber with a dark whiskey overtone. The more I studied the label and the stag head that is so prominently displayed on the bottle the more creative I got. And possibly tipsy but that is another story.

What if I had the Stag head imprinted on the guitar as well? Heck I could call this the Dalmore. So the concept was realized and I emailed Ron with my thoughts. Well seems as though Mr. Kirn is a lover of the Highland nectar as well! He was intrigued and quite interested in doing this. He said "Send all the parts down with the body."

WOW, looks like I was about to become the proud owner of a custom designed R.K. Telecaster!! I sent the body and a commission check off to Florida and so the story of "The DALMORE" custom designed Telecaster begins.

I have a few pictures to display that Ron has sent me. They are rough and progressive as the build is in the works but I want to share them with you all.

Here is the first coat of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A perfect match to the hue of Dalmore Scotch!

2. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    I then received a few more shots from Ron. Here you can see the binding is installed. Also the Stag Head decal.

[​IMG]

Here it is with a few parts placed on it. Customized pick guard and the new Glendale Chimemaster tail piece.

[​IMG]

Customized headstock.

[​IMG]

Some other features the guitar will have that are not pictured here are:

Taipan Tone - Control Plate, Neck Plate and Bridge pickup mounting plate.

Bill Lawrence - (new microcoil pickups if possible before NAMM summer) or Keystones with Q filter and special cap wiring.

I will give a more detailed account of the appointments soon. Just wanted to get the thread started since I have hinted at this build in other threads.

3. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Oh ho ! That's jes' plain tasty ! Thanx Arlo, & Ron too !

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Lay off the scotch dude... ;)

NOT, as usual you got another beaut!

Now you just gotta swipe Woodman's switch plate...

He gigging at Pete & Beula's Cannery Bar tonight I think....

I think I saw a termite hop on it outta the grass BTW... :eek:

5. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2006
    Fallon, Nevada

6. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Jan 28, 2008
    Illinois
    Arlo-Very nice indeed.....I love everything about this one.Not another out there like this one.....And those are my favorite.Gonna be killer git'.....Cheeers,from Southern ILL

7. hmmm.. think I need me a Pappy Van Winklecaster!!

Arlo that's a beauty, keep us posted of course.

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    What a beauty :cool: ...

Ron is an artist, but I always knew that ..... He's also great with words ;) Hee, hee!

9. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Aberdeen, Scotland, Yewrup
    +1. Also a great photographer ! Some day I'm going to get Ron to build something special for me :) That's going to be one hell of a guitar Arlo.
    By the way, Dalmore is a whisky, not a whiskey. ;)

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, the cat's outta the bag, or better, the Scotch's outta the bottle..... It's well into the finish stage, the part where the photos would be of a spray gun, a mist of lacquer, and a fog hanging in the air in the back ground....

I'll be into assembly, in a week or so, and I'll do a few shots and show ya Bill Lawrence's handy work.

Ron Kirn

11. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh, if you're into scotch, any of the Dalmore's singles are amazing. the Cigar Malt is as sweet as can be.... if you are a scotch drinker....i repeat.... if you are a scotch drinker..... Dewar's don't count.

Ron Kirn

12. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2006
    South of Heaven
    You guys are amazing. Arlo, I can only imagine the smile that came over your face when you had this revelation.

Cheers.

Furr

13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    and for those that think I'm uh just whistlin'

[​IMG]

and I'm kinda ashamed, I didn't realize I was so low..... gotta go shoppin'

Ron Kirn

14. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Hey Arlo

Great project.

I presume the Tele bridge pick up will be mounted a la a GE Smith?

:D Peter

15. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2006
    England
    Wow, another stunning guitar from Arlo and Ron. Great idea, I'm loving the stag head and the colour, aweseome ideas. Now I think I need a drink....

16. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Well, there are two packages headed your way Ron via Fed Ex so don't be running out too soon! ;) One of em is liquid and well packed for a safe delivery!

Scotland, thanks for the spelling lesson :D I swear I wasn't drinking that early in the morning! I think mi spel cheka iz bustid.

17. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Peter, Vince "taipan" over at Taipan Tone is making me a pup mounting plate.

18. TheDev01dOne

TheDev01dOne Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2007
    Wollongong, Australia
    Nice guitar, do I smell a promotional deal in the future?

That stratele trem looks really weird though. Would be interested in a video review of this guitar just to see the trem in action.

Another nice unique build though, hope it ends up as everything you want it to be.

19. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

Jul 8, 2007
    Canada
    Nice looking guitar and great story Arlo! That stags head motif would be very popular in my homeland Germany. Anything with a stags-head is instantly popular.

20. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    So, Ron, how close is the color of Scotch Whisky to the color of, say, Tennesee Whiskey? OTOH, Jack Daniel's has been over promoted already, and maybe I should move my palate to the next level...:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.