Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The Cult Of The F-150

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Not entirely, but close. Being a real man will be officially extinct the exact second I bite the sod. Sorry 'bout that. Don't really want to take it with me but alas, that's the way it is.

Now please post a pic of your vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Colors and 1955 like this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Mine was a '79, I think.
    300/6 no frills.
    A working man vehicle.
    I remember when an F150 was about the same price as a Beetle and was hard-working transportation for country folk.
    These $50k foo-foo things with the clean beds that people use to drive Tiffany to school make me sick.

voodoostation, 1955 and Stubee like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I helped some neighbors move a new stove into their house the other day, I used just a plain old hand truck, not an appliance dolly. I tied the stove to the dolly using a truckers knot when I cinched it down it was on there to stay. The neighbors were astounded at the amount of leverage the knot provided at securing the stove to the dolly. Both said they'd never seen a knot like that, seemed a bit odd to me. I mean not knowing how to tie a truckers knot and you're a grown man or woman? Huh? Huh?

voodoostation and 1955 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2010
    Ohio
    "Old" truck = 2010 Chev Silverado, cloth interior, alum cap w/ ladder rack. We snowmobile and kayak, so 4x4 truck to pull trailer and rack to haul kayaks = necessity . Had it for 4 years....a couple issues.

I am blessed to be able to afford a new vehicle and bought a new '16 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2.7 turbo, leather, 36 gallon tank, many nice things, but not all.....there are many ways to blow $5000+++ on accessories on a truck. No need for nav, sunroof, heat/air in rear, etc. I was choosy on the options to keep the cost reasonable. I have to haul equipment and pull trailers for work.

It is aluminum. I live in Ohio, land of salted roads. It has REMOTE START, awesome feature in winter!!!

I love it, has side-sensor safety things, big gas tank, hauls trees, bushes, wood, blocks, I built a removable kayak rack. Very quiet and cushy ride. 18mpg mixed driving. Oil changes at 10,000.

Next vehicle will probably be a mini van with a hitch and a small trailer. Probably keep truck for 4 years.

william tele likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Here's a fantastic article about trucks by Mr. Money Mustache-- who blogs about how you can save way more $$ by making smarter choices about how you spend your hard-earned money. Given that the average American has pretty much bupkus saved up for retirement a whole bunch of people can make their future a lot brighter by thinking a little more rationally about their spending decisions. $500 to $2,000 guitars are one kind of profligate spending. $30k to $100k+ trucks is a whole 'nother kind of big spending that can put you deep in the hole for no good reason. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/04/28/what-does-your-work-truck-say-about-you/

voodoostation, awasson and Mahalo like this.
  7. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    You shoulda seen the way Allen Ginsberg looked me up and down while signing my copy of "Reality Sandwiches." Blake and a squeezebox is scary enough, haha

Stubee, william tele and kelnet like this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
  9. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    You use weak battery powered screwgun? And they last you 3 yrs, whoa, I run so many screws so fast only last me six months so we never bought em again. Regular dewalt screwgun sees me coming, it screams "No, I'm too young to die".
    And come on, interior is nicer in ram than either of the other two for the same price. The motors may all be close,(They weren't when dodge had a 5.9 1/2 ton), but if you go on car problems.com by far ram had least amount of problems of the three and usually it's first three most common problems are cheap to fix.

Battery powered screwgun.... what are you building Barbie dream houses...
    Battery powered screw guns...
    Like one time use toothbrushes...
    Battery powered screwgun he tells me...

william tele likes this.
  10. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I was once in a band called "The F-150s". We called it that cuz we started off as a pickup band.

True story.

djh22 and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

There's Texas...that train's never late..:lol: It's like that fighting Irish ND logo except it's wearing a cowboy hat.

Yeah, yeah - I got 'em both - corded 1/2" and the screw guns and I need 'em both too.

My point is - they're all the same with durability IMO. I've got the 5.4 in my 1/2 ton and the truck's been more than great.

And I hate the big plastic-y chrome crap on the front/phony big rig look they all have now - and Dodge (when there was a Dodge) started that.

wayloncash, william tele and drlucky like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I had one.
    It was the first vehicle I bought "on time".
    It was a nice red 76 I bought in 78.
    I was 21.
    Loved it!
    My employer at the time bought it from me and it became my "company car".
    Good memories!

william tele likes this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Never had a pickup truck, never wanted one, don't need one. Out here it seems all the kids are driving turbo diesel ones to high school and are hell bent on blasting a big black cloud of smoke at everyone.

voodoostation likes this.
  14. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    "Rolling coal." ^

It ain't the trucks or the good folks that drive trucks, it's the nimrods with Emerods that try to spoil it for the rest of us.

awasson, william tele and drlucky like this.
  15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    I've had trucks for years. I use them as trucks. My 2013 F-150 has carried band equipment, wood, trash, dirt, all sorts of building materials, ATVs, motorcycles, pulled trailers, towed tractors, and cleans up pretty nicely for the Christmas parade. It rides great and cabs/Uber drivers back off in DC.

Obsessed likes this.
  16. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    This is a TRUCK..The way a truck is supposed to be..
    All reliced out and broke in..
    1993 big 6 engine with a C6 tranny.. 140K on it.
    It will pull a freight train..
    TRUCK.jpg

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I'll be damned if you aren't full of lyrical ideas.
    You'd better be using some of your prose, if not, I'm plagerizing ya.
    This is like the fourth time in three days.
    You must write songs.

william tele likes this.
  18. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    Last August I bought a 2001 F-150 with 138k on it with complete service records. I love it and have made many trips to the dump, recycler, hauled dirt bikes, etc. I have the 5.4 liter and it scoots. It's been around the block so when it gets muddy or whatever I don't cry. My "other truck" is a '51 GMC.

19. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    My '67 ford was the quintessential TRUCK. 'Ol Blue.
    400,000 too. 6 cyl !
    Square as a brick.
    A truck driver beat me out of it, to good to pass up, at the time.
    I've a '59 Apache and a '01 GMC these days.
    The '59 is to toy with, the GMC is a comfortable work truck, but I think about 'ol Blue most every day.

teletimetx likes this.
  20. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Get in line...

1955 likes this.
  21. don71

don71 Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I've found it difficult to live my life style without a pick up truck of some kind. Old, small or gas guzzeling. I need one.

I currently have an 06 Nissan Frontier. Its just right..for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.