Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The Cult Of The F-150

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 11, 2017.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I disagree.

Stubee and william tele like this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

No one has a bigger inferiority complex than Ram* owners.

No one likes to stick their thumbs under their suspenders more and lean back and dismiss the all other trucks more than Ram owners do.

I've been on many job sites with many real truck owners and you know who the Ram owners are...

As a CONTRACTOR, I have bought every single brand of 18-24v screw gun on the planet at least once, if not twice.

They all last 2-3 years tops.

Doesn't matter which brand.

Ford/Chevy/Ram pickups would be virtually the same in terms of reliabiltiy/function if they were all tested side by side for 10 years or so.

They're all good trucks and each one of them have something that the buyer wants.

*There are no Dodge trucks. There haven't been for what, 5 years now - maybe more ?

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    BTW - unless it has an 8 foot bed - it ain't a truck. :lol:

Consider the gauntlet to have been embedded in the ground...

I will resist the urge to state I own a 2002 F-150 FX4 w/ an 8 foot bed...d'oh !:confused:

william tele likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Gives an even more cautionary tone to rabid football and Budweiser worship that breathes off in that Monday morning commute. I'm just putting 2&2 together based on behavior and patterns. You guys would laugh at my vehicle, though!

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Once again the 1955 little crazies decoder has proven invaluable. What 1955 means is the owners of the (in)famous Ford F-150 though the use of over sized wheels, extended spring shackles, hangers, and all manner of after market equipment to completely circumvent any and all safety features the vehicle you are driving might be equipped with. The aforementioned combined with the fact that if they are tailgating you in traffic that they might completely run over you and not even be compelled to stop and see what is dragging beneath their vehicle is impetus enough to insure you will get SOMEWHERE out from in front of them as quickly as you can manage.

1955 likes this.
  7. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    Our truck is a Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior (Appropriate for a guitarist, eh?) with 4-wheel drive, skid plates, bead locked rims, and about anything else that you'd need for off-road use. Right now it's putting out about 400 horsepower from its 5.7 liter V-8, after a couple of mild tweaks. We use it for hauling hay, pulling the horse trailer, pulling the utility trailer, hauling lumber, all sorts of things. And yes, where I live, we need the 4-wheel drive, the skid plates, and the bead locks. A lesser truck wouldn't survive the conditions and the use that we put it through. It's a little rough out here.

But to be honest, if I didn't need a truck like that for the usage and conditions around here, I'd much rather be riding around in something more comfortable that got better gas mileage. The truck is a beast, and not exactly economical. But unfortunately, we need it to do the work that's necessary around here and to survive the roads that we travel. We do have Mrs. Steerforth's sports car, which requires me to do some rather athletic contortions just to get in and out, and our daughter's little compact sedan that we drive if we don't need the truck and have to go long distance, but they're restricted to civilized roads only. Eventually I'd like to get something more reasonable, comfortable, and economical.

I've had a few F150s down through the years. They were always good trucks. But I wouldn't own a truck if I didn't need one, anymore than I'd own two tractors if I didn't need them. Trucks are a pain, and not light on fuel consumption.

8. Ron R

Ron R Tele-Afflicted

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Dodge replacement parts are cheap because you'll need to.

9. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I see a lot of trucks all newshiny, only see a couple people actually ever using them to haul anything, nothin' wrong with that, but jus' sayin'

Now if we can take a poll, now that the truck guys have inadvertently started arguing:

Humvee: Tactical and practical capability-vehicle for all terrain, or....Douchemobile?

Extra points if you can qualify the latter haha

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. Steerforth

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    I wouldn't own one. They're all right for military usage with a nifty fifty on the roof or something, but in normal life, they're ugly gas hogs with no hauling capacity to speak of. Not a very practical vehicle.

11. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Original Humvee was designed for the military. It would be hard to find a more wasteful use for this vehicle than as a commuter car or a grocery getter. Car buying in a lot of ways isn't any different than going out and buying shoes. Showy people want showy cars...and there is profit margin in that.

I sometimes wonder what the profit margin is on those Harley Edition Fords or Red Wing Edition Rams.

If you can afford it, though, there is nothing wrong with buying big or flashy. Head scratching to those not in the same orbit, but nothing wrong.

12. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I jest, I walk as a shadow among men.

Everyone keep in mind that I live in a neighborhood where an orange hat is almost a requirement, where contemporary country radio is mandatory, and celebratory gunfire is heard over bonfire hootenannies, where you can almost hear the drunken bellows of "You don't have to be lonely" from the Farmers Only commercial.

To top it off, I'm a redneck. You shoulda seen me cut a hole in the door for my cat last night (Gotta keep em separated.)

Which makes me all the more irritating to other rednecks, because a cat is not a dog. I have both, and I have owned trucks too. I can tie down a tarp like nobody's business!

And I still have the same old Red Wing steel toe boots I got in the '90's.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  13. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I know many guys with trucks who, like me, use them for work. Ford is the best IMHO. Chevys are alway breaking down and frankly, only one owns a Dodge, which has a rotary dial for shifting that he hates. BTW, Toyotas are great too, just that the beds are too small for my needs.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I grew up as a Chevy guy, now a Jeep guy, but let's face it, the F150 is the utility truck icon like the telecaster is the utility guitar icon. If I were to buy an 8' bed truck anytime in my life, it would be a F150. Most of my neighbors have trucks of all brands, but the F150s seem to be the keepers.

There was a Chevy dealer and a Ford dealer in the nearby town, but for over 20 years now, it is just a Ford dealer. Just sayin'

ebb soul likes this.
  15. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    My question is this: Have the new breed of snowflake lumberjacks permanently ruined all the things men do, sacrilegiously eschewing the old map for Waze, using the cellphone flashlight under the house, bringing ComputerTruck to the dealer to be rebooted? You can take everything but my duct tape and beard oil, and a country boy can survive. Now I've grossed myself out haha

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    Okay, the other silly thing is all this calling them trucks and especially the modern 4 door ones in our neighborhood that can't haul what my wife's minivan can.

I get some have a vocation or lifestyle where they (pickups) make sense but I had more time than was fun in Macks, GMCs, Whites, Peterbilts, Freightliners, Kenworths and Volvos.

Please don't forget my earlier comment on the Henry Ford Museum and optional F150 factory tour. It's a really great trip. You can make it more fun by having at least one meal in Canada. More fun yet if you do this when MI peaches are in season and those coming from the west cross Lake Michigan on one of the ferries.

Enjoy your trucks! My next trip today will be much more comfy than any of my pickups were and the fuel saved will probably buy a cup of coffee.

:)

P.S. Seriously, the F150 tour is cool.

17. Steerforth

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    I'm currently reading, "Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America" by Edwin Tappan Adney and Howard Chapelle. Wood and canvas is an uncomfortable leap into suspect modernity for me at best, I've only advanced that far because I don't like the idea of cutting down birch trees just to make boats. And indulging in cedar strip/epoxy/fiberglass methods is obviously teetering at the very brink of apocalyptic canoe technology doom if you ask me. It could bring on the end of the world or something, you never know.

That should give you some idea of how I feel about technological advancement. If it weren't for my wife and daughters dragging me kicking and screaming into the computer age, I wouldn't even be posting. :D

1955 likes this.
  18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    A truck is just a tool. It's like a chainsaw. If you are going to cut down trees you'll need a chainsaw.

The problem is, some people buy a chainsaw when all they need to do is brush their teeth...

Make this apply to people buying trucks somehow...if you can.

19. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I just passed a Jimmy and a White, I can dodge all the scales alright

Rustbucket and drlucky like this.
  20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Is this some kind of Allen Ginsberg meets Grizzly Adams stream of consciousness experiment? Did you mix that beard oil into your granola?

21. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2003
    CT
    Well - you might wanna Ram those scales, nowadays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.