Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The Cult Of The F-150

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    As I peel up the cadaver-faces to reflect upon my mundane peregrinations across the dark-shark highways, I cannot help but puzzle over this most ubiquitous of vehicles, often cushioning the billowing buttocks of far too many malcontents taken to token accessorizing with camo and decals of antiquated and predictable historicity.

What is the appeal of this magical symbol and proverbially castrated unicorn, abiding under the semblance of presupposed working-man masculinity?

Morgan Freeman riding high into another sunset, as I scratch the white-lined lunacy of blacktop.

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    HUH ???
    Damn I wish idda went to skul..

dallasblues and Wallo Tweed like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    That's a good one. There are legitimate needs for a pickup. My Ford was F250.

Much of the appeal is probably lost on me because I grew up with two scrap yards and a farm. In addition to pickup trucks I drove Macks & Kenworths. In my upbringing the goal was to have a nice car and not play super trucker.

Since early 1999 I've been able to rent a pickup truck or larger when needed for as little as $45-60. There have been times when the neighbor's loaded F150 4x4 (and other vehicles) can't get up one hill when icy but the neighborhood Subarus go just fine.

The super trucker silliness also shows itself on those rare days my kids don't bus or walk to school. There's a huge line of what I'll call pickup trucks dropping off the kids.

Just like shoe horn was once common, most who have a pickup truck in my neighborhood look like they need a pants horn or some way to get their overweight selves dressed before other vehicles show them to be so silly.

For those who do like F150s (me) do the factory tour at end of your visit to the Henry Ford Museum.

:)

1955 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
  6. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Use mine for work. A 2000 F150 with 270K miles, still with the original engine. It's actually in the shop today getting it's first water pump replacement. Great truck IMHO.

sjruvolo likes this.
  7. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    My wife bought me a 2000 4.2L six cylinder brand new for my birthday. Put 137,000 miles on it b4 I sold it in 2015.
    Great ride.

8. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Ok, now I get what @Toto'sDad meant the other day...

Ricky D. and 1955 like this.
  9. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Legitimate need for pickup? Then why do you have a Ford? Lol

Never liked Ford and I never will, and chevy is too Damn expensive. Dodge is best bang for your buck and most reliable truck on the market, replacement parts are cheaper too.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  10. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2013
    Tennessee
    My first vehicle when I was 16 was an '84 F150. It was my venue for years of teenage antics and just about anything you can imagine a boy could get into when given full access to a V8 and a bench seat. My freedom machine. She is the same age as me, and currently sits broken down and rusting away under the oak tree in my back yard.

don71 likes this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Friend of Leo's

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I'm on my 3rd F150 right now, soon to be 4th.

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Better check your furnace for carbon-monoxide leakage.

13. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    We bought a '94 F150 for $1500 at a farmstand a couple of years ago. (The owner's kid studies auto tech, and their project one semester was to take the biggest POS they could find and get it to pass inspection.) Best 1500 bucks I've ever spent on a vehicle. The thing was a Flintstones truck (could see the road through the floorboards), it smelled like the farm, and we loved it. Dead reliable, shlepped everything we could load, started every morning. Finally gave up the ghost last spring. We bought an '09 Ranger, sort of a baby version. Wouldn't ever buy a non-Ford pickup.

koolaide likes this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Friend of Leo's

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    This. This. This!

For 99%+ of people, a pickup is an occasional convenience. The price of admission - plus the price of fuel - don't make sense the rest of the time.

Status symbol - and not one that I understand.

Wally and David Barnett like this.
  15. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    A truck is just really damn useful, regardless of make or model. My '97 F150 gets me where I need to go, can tow a boat, and can haul lawnmowers and furniture. I'm also a big guy (6'5" 230 lbs) and I love the cabin space. Best of all... mine has been paid off for years!

Not really sure why the OP needed unnessecesarily flowery language to insult F150 owners. But to each their own I guess.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  16. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    They're great trucks. I used to drive one for work all the time when I worked maintenance at an apartment complex and it was a life saver for hauling anything and everything (I you wouldn't believe some of the things we pulled out of those apartments).

17. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Who needs a furnace when girded with pocket-warmer kilt and pink bunny slipperz

drlucky, Stubee and william tele like this.
  18. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    New York
  19. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    As I curtail my enthusiasm for tailgaters who steel-pelvis plow in admonished powermangling, believing that the vehicle with the most weight has the right of way, the patterns speak for themselves, strategically omnipresent like moving Golden Arches on a once unmolested landscape of astronomer sacrifice.

drlucky, Stubee and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Many a family have gotten their start in a Ford F-150!

kylejf90, bparnell57, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  21. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I've had a truck as my main driver since 1972 except for a six month period when I decided I didn't need a truck. Longest six months of my life. Not all Fords but most. Love Fords but went Toyota for awhile due to lousy local Ford dealer. Count 'em:

1966 F-100
    1969 F-100
    1972 F-250
    1974 F-100
    1979 F-100
    1990 F-150
    1997 T-100 (!)
    2010 Tundra

I use 'em like trucks. Mine get beat up in the woods pretty badly and when I start shopping for a new one the salesman will look
    at mine & say "So you work your truck, right"?

To me trucks have become too high, fat & heavy by a long shot but I'll keep one (a 'stripper') because I need it. When I no longer have use for it will one of you guys please just wheel me out into the woods and leave me there? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG][​IMG]

voodoostation, 1955, ndcaster and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.