Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Commitments

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by HotRodSteve, Feb 21, 2018.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Prince George is a tough lumber mill town in Northern British Columbia.
    I lived there from 1994-2003.
    Locally known as “little Chicago” at the time.
    It has very high rates of cancer, alcoholism, and property crime.
    The air reeks of the mills.
    Though BC is the most beautiful place I have ever lived, PG is not by any means the nicest city (75,000-ish population).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

I have been there.

on the way to Dawson Creek to pick up the Alaska Highway.

Prince George was the only place in Canada I felt uncomfortable in, we were hassled by locals for being American. Couldnt wait to get the hell out of there.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    A truly weird place.
    I used to say that the best thing about PG was being 20 miles in any direction from it.

4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Being temporarily out of work at the moment this scene hits home in a funny kind of way:

Unemployment Official: Mr. Rabbitte, you've been collecting unemployment benefit for two years. Are you trying to tell me you can't get a job?

Jimmy Rabbitte: We're a third world country - what can you do?

Utah Joe likes this.

5. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    I remember really enjoying that movie on a date night with my wife, when we actually would go out for dinner and a movie. Those were the days!

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You're doing yourself a dis-service, putting it that way.

Drunkenness and Excessive Profanity, or rather the fear of it, keep away thousands and thousands of we Irish American tourists. A wicked stereotype and IMO you need to resolve to break away from it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

7. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    If you think that Profanity is a purely negative thing the you are doing language a disservice and you display scant understanding of your own Irish ancestry and heritage. When your people have been oppressed for a couple of hundred years then language becomes a weapon.

maxvintage likes this.

8. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 14, 2017
    Australia

If you were born in Ireland then moved to America you are free to decribe yourself as Irish American.

If you were born in America you are an American, plain and simple.

I have lived in Australia for 13 years, married an Australian lass and have a 6 year old son.

He is a citizen of both countries as it gives him freedom of movement in the Euro Zone.

However he is an Australian and is being raised as one. He just happens to have an Irish Dad.

I have seen too many people grow up confused and lost due to being in a contant hiphanated zone where they are pulled between two cultures and locations.

And Bubba, speaking as someone from Tralee in Kerry who spent his high school and college years working in the hospitality and tourism industries - there are no shortage of ‘Irish-Americans’ who travel to Ireland.

We can do quite well without overly censorious, moralistic, superior, puritan examples of the tribe arriving on shore.

I do feel somewhat guilty that I, along with the tourism industry, was complicit in the wholesale cynical fleeceing of ‘I-A’ tourists and the proactive encouragement of their delusions of Irishness purely for economic gain.

But, then we’re back to that recsession and being the ‘blacks of Europe again’.

I partially apologise for my semi aggressive tone but I think I am responding in kind to your post. Calling a spade a spade if you will.

The Ireland you seek is not Ireland, it’s some pasteurised Fairyland compiled from marketing images of turf fires, wolly jumpers and lasses dancing at the crossroads.

That is available at many tourist spots in Ireland - we are spotted with the equivalent of Hollywood sound stages to cater to fantasies.

But it ain’t Ireland.

I’d give you some advice about the troublesome sterotypes about Americans that are literally keeping the worlds tourists away from the USA at the moment but I know that would be presumptuous and ignorant.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    richiek65, scottser and jimmytheshoe like this.

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    My wife was born and raised in the Republic. It has changed a great deal since her youth, though since the latest recession has moved a little back to what it was (for the better). She will be back there next week to help with some family issues, but when we want to get the feel for the Ireland of her childhood we go to rural France.

10. HotRodSteve

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley

Joey "The Lips" Fagan on trumpet. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

11. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    Sounds pretty spot on to me and spent a bit of time in Dublin ! ( Different strokes eh )

12. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Got around to watching it.

I hope to never hear that song again.

13. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey

bender66 and HotRodSteve like this.

14. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    The most amazing thing about that movie was that Andrew Strong was only 16 at the time. Hell of a voice.

Pixies2005, HotRodSteve and whodatpat like this.

15. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Jul 21, 2007
    College Park MD
    I cant believe it took three pages of comments to bring up Strong's age. Kid had pipes but the soul at that age was unheard of.

I don't always sing karaoke, but when I do, I only sing Try A Little Tenderness as performed by The Commitments.

HotRodSteve and kwerk like this.

16. HotRodSteve

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Whenever I hear this song I always sing, "Royd Sally Royd". Can't help it.

Pixies2005, chiefline and kwerk like this.

17. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    "......on a f__ing Suzuki?"
    best line in the movie.....:)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Pixies2005 likes this.

18. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Stop using your accent! Lol

19. HotRodSteve

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Can't help it. I'm from Long Guy Land which has a huge Irish influence.

The Commitmentettes lost their accents. We're a third world country. What can you do?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.