Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Buttercaster Project

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Buckocaster51, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    So tonight, I actually "got to the city" and was able to hit a store with a fine collection of Krylon "No Runs, No Drips, No Errors!®" spray paint.

Being the quick thinker I am, I said "Maybe I can find the color coat for the Buttercaster."

Found a can of both #1806 Sun Yellow Gloss and #3538 Bright Idea.

Wahooo!

[​IMG]

Bright Idea is on the left, and probably what I will go with. Sun Yellow Gloss is probably too intense. I am looking for a nice pastel along the lines of the Lavendercaster and Surfocaster.

Wood is on the way (or will be real soon.)

I'm starting to think that tortishell binding and pickguard would look REAL nice, but the rest of them have white binding and guard. Decisions, decisions.

This will be fun. With luck I will put router bit to wood sometime next week.

I'll try to keep everybody up-to-date as this scintillating project takes place.

2. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Cool, I always enjoy your projects.

3. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    So Friday...I get home from work...and this is on the door...

[​IMG]

aha!

I enter the garage and low and behold

[​IMG]

a box from Mario at The Guitar Mill!

at first I'm thinking..."He shipped me 7 lbs of PEANUTS!

[​IMG]

but then I dig a bit...

[​IMG]

there it is...a nice chunk of alder.

I can start on the Buttercaster now...or wait for a piece of poplar I have coming...or use a chunk of ash that I have...decisions...decisions...but today I have to grade papers...

4. stratomaster

stratomaster Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2006
    PA
    Looking forward to more

I'm about to start my first parts guitar. I've got a body ready to sand down. I was going to buy paint thru reranch but I noticed you purchased krylon. It seems you've used it before. Have you, and if so have your projects turned out like you wanted. I was going to do a tele in sonic blue with a nitro finish. I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress. BTW my body is a warmoth tele picked up by a friend of mine at a yard sale for $1.00. Its beat but I think I can turn it into something. You read it right it was only a buck. The guy drilled 3 holes thru it and had a metal cutout of the girl you see on the trucker mudflaps bolted to the back of it. I would have done a more natural finish but because of having to fill those hole I think paint is the way to go. I'm new to the forum and this is my first tele but I'm very excited about it and glad to have found this forum. Jeff

5. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    Buckocaster, I look forward to watching this unfold!

6. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Looking forward to seeing this one... I'm getting the itch to build another. Will you be able to see any grain through the paint, or will it be a solid color?
    What grade do you teach? I know, it's completely unrelated to the Buttercaster topic, but I'm a curious person.
    Sean

7. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Jack Wells, the acknowledged Master of Krylon may jump in here...if you are looking for the honest-to-gosh Fender colors, you probably can't beat ReRanch. I've used their products and it is very good. No compatibility issues. You won't go wrong with it.

For the Buttercaster and Lavendercaster, guess what? No ReRanch/Fender colors available, so it was off to the rattle can shelf at the store. It will work, but I will have to "think" about things a bit more.

But it will be yellow. ;)

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Mar 25, 2006
    Should turn out well IMO. You've already proven with the Lavendercaster that non Fender colors can look very good.

Years ago, I finished a Kubicki ash Strat body with hardware store Krylon. Aside from the fact that I didn't know that I needed to fill the grain, it turned out rather well for someone without any finishing skills. Krylon's pretty forgiving stuff, so it would have almost looked slick if I'd been sharp evough to fill the grain.

Pete

9. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

I wonder how big of a box is needed for 7 pounds of styrofoam peanuts...

10. charlie cash

charlie cash Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2006
    Western Colorado
    Buckocaster,
    Have you considered a two-tone butterburst? It might look cool.

11. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've tried a variety of rattle can paints and have had good results with all of them. I however prefer Krylon because it drys faster being an acrylic lacquer. The following little Strats were all clearcoated with Deft Gloss nitrocellulous lacquer with no compatibility problems.

....................[​IMG]

12. andy__woods

andy__woods Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2005
    Michigan
    Hey jwells, what sort of Krylon do you use? I was just on their website and there are a lot of options

13. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006

14. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Today I am finally putting cutter to wood. In this picture a 3/4" PDF template that I made from a Ron Kirn master template is attached by wood screws to an ALDER blank that came from The Guitar Mill. I trimmed the blank "pretty close" on my $99 Delta bandsaw. With my little miniature router I can only take about 3/8' of wood off per pass. That's okay, it will just take a bit more time - give me more time to think things through so I don't inadvertently make a lefthanded Buttercaster. (I wonder if anybody has ever done that?)

[​IMG]

More pictures later as this whole thing progresses.

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Hmmmmmmm.......... what is PDF? I have a Porter Cable router with plenty of power and I still like to take only about a 1/4 inch per pass. Less chance of a tear-out. Maybe it takes me an additional 10 minutes to rout a body shape ........... so what?

andy__woods............... I've always used the General Purpose Krylon but the Fusion for plastics would probably work well over a polyurethane finish.

16. Tedecaster

Tedecaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2006
    Greensboro, Vermont
    MDF.... maybe? Isn't PDF a computer document?

17. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    You know, maybe, JUST MAYBE, I got a couple of those things mixed up. ;) All week long I work with .PDFs on these computer thangs...I think I might, maybe, should've written "MDF" - medium density fiberboard. :rolleyes: Oh well.

I really "nibble away" at the wood and haven't had a tearout problem (yet)...I'll take a bit less next pass and see how it goes. You are right, what difference does an extra 10 minutes take.

Now...back to the router.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006

18. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the pic. Please don't feel like you could ever post too many ;)

Man, I love these build threads...

19. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

me 3 !

20. Buckocaster51

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Sort of like the gauntlet has been thrown...

After several passes the MDF template is no longer needed. In fact, the cutters are not long enough to use the template. So the template is removed and the body itself is used as a template.

[​IMG]

Pretty slick the way that works.

A word on tools.

I do all of this on pretty simple equipment in the garage. Here is my routing setup.

[​IMG]

I'll clean everything up before I start the finish. (I'll even move the NEON out of before I start shootinig nitro )

With the router (1/4" 5/8HP - I think) I use, I am limited in the size of the cutters that I can use. Can't do the entire outside with a top-bearing cutter. For the last cut I have to switch over to a cutter with the bearing on the bottom. Flip the body over and cut from the bottom...

[​IMG]

This is what we are after...

[​IMG]

ALL that is left on this one is to machine the neck pocket, the control and pickup cavities, and (my favorite part) the channel for the binding.

Probably be done for lunch!

Lunch a week from next Wednesday that is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.