Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Brass Saddles ride again!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Edsel Presley, May 4, 2018.

1. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2017
    So, some of you might remember (but probably not), that I got a Squier Tele a while back with these cool brass saddles on it.

IMG_5359.JPG

I ended up changing out the bridge for a vintage style 3 barrel one.
    IMG_7966.jpg

But, those saddles were too cool to just let sit, so I thought I'd throw them on my blacktop. Had to get some new screws, but I finally got them on there last night.
    IMG_8135.JPG

Now...I know what you're thinking. Something's not quite right. I know, the string spacing is just a tad too wide. But...and this is where I need an expert opinion...is it going to do anything detrimental in the long run? Guitar plays fine, intonates fine (better actually) and there seems to be nothing wrong with it, except looking a little weird.
    IMG_8136.JPG

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If It works for you, isn't that all that really matters?

If I ever come to see you play. I'll yell out from the front row, "Boy that sure looks weird".

Go with it, have fun.;)

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If those were readily available, I would suggest just sanding the sides of the saddles down so they're more like 10.5 mm instead of 10.8 mm. But since these saddles are so rare, I would just play it as it is - someday you'll get another use and you can put them on there, unmodded.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    IIRC those look just like the saddles on Keith's Micawber.
    Probably would be lots of interest in them.

boris bubbanov likes this.

5. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    As long as they feel Ok on the neck, and from the looks of your photos they don't look too bad in relation to the pups - then you should be fine.

Nice guitars btw.

6. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    It's fine. Don't worry, be happy!

7. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    The only issue besides pickup alignment would be the top and bottom strings possibly falling off the fretboard when sliding or bending. If they don't, and your height adjusts nicely, all is good!

8. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Those saddles were very popular from mid '70s on into the '80s. I think Mighty Mite had them and probably others. It was the "More is Better" era. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.