Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The BOSS Katana 50 is a game-changer.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adamlovesgin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Our buying decisions are biased, and predicated upon our own tangible and intangible experiences. Each has his own reference point and his own perceived wants and needs.

In the end, a buyer has to do his due diligence and buy the product that best suits HIS needs. Everything else is just fluff.

Lef T likes this.
  2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    You're welcome. Good luck!

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    That's right up my alley.
    Sweet !

4. twobuckchuck

twobuckchuck Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    California
    Just going to make a simple post about the Blues Cube being completely different. It’s heavy. Why? Because it’s all analog. It’s more along the line of Roland’s JC series. Not in terms of trying to be one. But because it’s not an emulation. It’s an amp that is exactly what it is. It’s not trying to fool anyone.

5. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    There have been extensive threads about the solid state vs digital nature of both of these amp lines, with more heat than light generated. Both are emulating other amps, the Blues Cubes just one at a time (until you add "tone capsules" - are those fully SS or are they part digital?) while the Katana emulates a few different ones. How they do it is arguably not all that different, but I'm not gonna get into it because I understand the details of these arguments less than most people.

In terms of heavy, the Katana 100 is roughly the same dimensionally as the Blues Cube Stage and the Katana is about one pound heavier. The Katana Artist and Blues Cube Artist are also pretty similar dimensionally and the Katana weighs about six pounds more. The Katana 50 and Blues Cube Hot are also very similar dimensionally and the Blues Cube is all of one pound heavier than the Katana. None of these are heavy amps, but the Katana Artist is getting close at 41 pounds...

-Ray

Jim Dep and Lef T like this.
  6. twobuckchuck

twobuckchuck Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    California
    Yes, but hit the nail on the head when it comes to the Blues Cube. All that weight is there for one particular sound. The R&D is all there for one sound. The weight of the Katana (which I do think are great amps, btw) is split up between many many sounds. And the ability to switch between them. Pound per sound, very different beasts.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    does that void the warranty?

rogb, MilwMark, Georox and 1 other person like this.
  8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada

I decided to join the ranks and post a quick sound demo of my current favourite Strat setting. I plugged my amp into my Mac and tweaked until I heard something I liked.

[​IMG]

DougM, Colo Springs E, dswo and 2 others like this.
  9. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Is the Katana a game changer? Well for me it just might be. I got my 50 at Christmas and use it all week for practice at home any every weekend in the studio to record and rehearse. I haven't played through my Musicman valve amp since. We spoke about this yesterday and I told the boys in the band that I would seriously consider gigging with a Katana, though I'd probably get the 100 212.
    After 40 plus years and hundreds of gigs using valve amps I'd say that's a big change.

Lef T and RedRock like this.
  10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    ^^ Yup. I find the 1x12 gets it done for me...

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    The Katana 50 is a little bright. But, as I play rockabilly, country and surf, it works well for me. For a nice Marshall overdrive. I cut the treble on the guitar. I haven't had the need to re-adjust the amp settings, or program anything.

12. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I’m intrigued by all I’ve read and heard about the Katana. I’m thinking about getting a Katana-Head for use with powered studio monitors and as a digital interface to recording in the Mac.

Does the Katana digital software (for making tone and EFX settings) run well on Macs? And does the speaker cab simulation (with headphone out or USB out) maintain a good speaker cabinet-like tone?

I am considering using the Katana-Head in a manner like I’m using my Yamaha THR10, with the powered studio monitors and recording into GarageBand.

[​IMG]

13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    I've played the 50 several times at Guitar Center and liked it. I would prefer a few more amp models, but the ones that are there sound good to my ears. I like the simplicity of it. I was surprised to see a post by Jakedog a while back that he didn't care much for the Katana. I think it's pretty cool. Haven't tried the 100, but would think it would be great for a cover band gig.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That made my day.

15. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Anybody wanting to buy my Katana 50 pm me. It’s 4 months old and in perfect shape. I let the speaker brake in and it’s still not my cup of tea.

16. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have gigged my Katana 100 several times in small to mid sized venues and am still on the fence. I have been alternating gigs between the Katana with no pedals (just the on board effects and six button footswitch) and my DRRI with traditional pedal board. There are some things I like about it, as well as some shortcomings. Here is my list of each:

• Nice and light for toting in and out of the trunk
    • Generally sounds very good - both clean and overdriven
    • Seems quality built for its price
    • No tubes to worry about
    • 0.5 watt setting for home practice without changing all the other settings
    Dislikes
    • Looks a little different with that funky logo
    • Not super full sounding on the low end - may be the small cabinet size
    • Best tones come from tweaking the settings using a computer - hard to adjust to suit the room when gigging
    • Still adjusting to using the six button footswitch for effects - more to remember which button does what, vs. traditional pedals (I know the green pedal is my overdrive and the yellow one my compressor). Also the switch buttons are a bit closer to each other than I would like, and have hit the wrong button several times mid-song.
    • Not happy with my edge of breakup sound. Pure clean is great, overdrive to distortion is good, but a light overdrive still sounds a bit digital to me. Probably not noticeable in a gigging situation, but it does bug me.
    • Controls are on the top, near the back edge. Kind of hard to see and reach on stage, especially with my tilt-back amp stand. Wish they were on the front like they are on the new Artist model
    At my band's last gig where I used the Katana a guy came up and introduced himself, said he has played guitar for years and is getting back into gigging. I asked him what he thought of our sound (mainly to get an idea of the mix) and he said it sounded good. I asked specifically about the guitars - he said they sounded good to him. Not fantastic, not bad, just pretty good. I'll take "pretty good" for most gigs. Our other guitarist was playing a Fender tube amp, and this guy thought they blended well together.

At this point, the pros and cons pretty much balance in my mind so I will continue to use it for some gigs and see if I can improve on a couple of the weaknesses that I may be able to adjust.

17. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    Interesting. I have basically the same setup, a Katana 100 and a a '68 CDR. When I first got the Katana, that's all I played for a while, and it is pretty good. I especially like it for playing jazz stuff with a hollow body as it does cleans really well with no noise. I also really like having different sounds available through the GA-FC floor switch.
    But... I recently started playing the CDR again and it just has a little more punch and attack with a little more organic breakup. My tele sounds particularly better through the CDR (big surprise, hah).
    The Katana is really good and versatile, but I'm not going to give up on tubes just yet.

rogb likes this.
  18. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 30, 2009
    A-Bay NY
    Show me the physics for your flawed assertion!

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It’s not physics, it’s basic electronics. Vacuum tubes clip in a very different manner than solid state devices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.