Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The BOSS Katana 50 is a game-changer.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adamlovesgin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    But the Katana also has a WYSIWYG control panel...it just has more as well, if you care to take partake.

Bob_H likes this.

2. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I think that would be the Boss GT-1. I snagged on one ebay for nearly half the new price. Sounds better than my Mustang Floor and no awful Fuse software.

I still want the Katana 50 after watching Rabea Massad's youtube demo:

I only need 50 watts and mostly clean tones.

Would love it if they just had a Katana basic -- Acoustic, Clean and Crunch with a selection of reverbs.

Would consider the Blues Cube 30 if it weren't overpriced by about $125.

3. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    No, the Katana FxFloorboard is software, a much more flexible way of tuning your amp than the Boss Tone Studio.

twang.png

4. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Doh! Yep, I had seen that online. Thanks!

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I gig with the 100, game changer? Maybe not but these amp are total bang for the buck. Low volume gig, wouldn’t think twice. I use mine on the clean channel and boost and modulate on the floor. Works great (no computer to update)...

rad1 and The-Kid like this.

6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    IIRC, while you can select the Katana's effects, the buttons only identify the genre, not the actual pedal - poor design, IMHO.

The Katana also requires deep diving if you want to tweak pedal parameters, and periodic firmware updates.

Cheaper doesn't mean better; it just means cheaper! Roland has a stellar rep in the solid state amp biz; they know what they're doing. While BOSS has a stellar rep, too, it's in pedals, not amps.

Just sayin'...

7. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    So, yes to GMC trucks but no to Chevy trucks?

Frodebro, Georox and jimbach like this.

9. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    You do know that Boss amps and pedals are made by Roland? You're comparing apples with apples, which is a very unusual thing to do around here...

10. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I pulled my Katana 50 chassis out and put it in a bigger 1 x 12 combo cab with a Lorantz greenback clone speaker(the best combo guitar speaker IMO) and the transformation was remarkable- seems like a blanket was taken off the amp and I now have a cheapish tone monster! And it has proven itself at gigs, sadly my TRRI will now be sitting at home and probably never gigged again :(

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    A buddy of mine, a really fantastic and versatile pro player ( makes his entire living playing guitar - and doesn't even sing :)) bought the K100 and controller, we had a lot of fun trying the different sounds. He does still use it when he needs a big loud clean sound on stage with a band.
    Most of the time these days he's perfectly happy with a Princeton RI and a Carbon Copy.

telemnemonics likes this.

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Roland and Boss are the same company. The Katana amps and Roland amps are hawked by the same reps at NAMM and on YouTube and wherever reps are hawking.

The Blues Cube existed first and the Katana was designed (initially at least) for a specifically different part of the market, so as not to compete with the Blues Cubes. The Katanas are remarkably priced, remarkably versatile amps that can be used as simply or as complexly as the user wants. And they sound really really good. The Blues Cubes are really simple amps with limited options, no effects other than reverb, are higher priced, and sound notably better (to most ears) than really really good.

I had a Katana 50 before I got a Blues Cube. I played with all of the effects and all of the channels but after a few weeks, I did what I always end up doing, which is finding one good basic sound, sticking a very simple pedalboard in front of it, and more or less never touching the amp. Then I played a Blues Cube Hot, A-B'd the two of them, and decided that for me, the better sound of the BCH was worth the additional cost and that I wouldn't miss the many tricks the Katana could do. The Katana sounded really good, though, and if I'd cared about the different channels, the ability to save presets, and the onboard effects, I'd have happily stayed with the Katana. As its was, I was getting as close to a Blues Cube sound from the Katana as I could and it was really good, but when I played 'em back to back, the difference was pretty clear to me.

Katana has been so over the top successful, I'm guessing much moreso than the Blues Cube line, that I think Roland/Boss might have decided to go all-in with the Katana and damn the cannibalism if it happens. The Katana Artist model sounds like it maintains all of the useful toys of the Katana line (and adds a couple) but is getting into Blues Cube territory in terms of speaker, cabinet, and overall sound. And it's priced between the Blues Cube Hot and Stage models. People were buying Katanas and gigging with them and asking for a few changes and I think they listened and figured a $550 Katana sale is as good as a $500 or $700 Blues Cube sale.

I never thought the Blues Cubes were better amps than the Katanas - they were different amps and the Blues Cube was (and is) better for me and how I use an amp. With the Katana Artist and I'm sure other higher end offerings in the future, I think the difference in the quality of the sound is likely to be a memory and it's gonna come down to which style amp you prefer.

-Ray

MisterZ and Lef T like this.

13. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Meister

As someone who has owned MANY tube amps in the past, and currently owns a Katana 50, I can tell you that for me, it’s not about the sound (which the Katana sounds amazing btw), it’s about the feel....the Katana FEELS and reacts as close to any tube amp that I’ve ever played/owned. I don’t care about all the ‘fancy’ stuff it can do, I stay on the clean channel, use either the bb2 or od3 boost effects, little bit of reverb and use my guitar volume for various tones....if I need other types of effects, I’ll use pedals. The Katana is an amazing pedal platform amp, and if for nothing else, the price point is below most other comparable ‘plain’ pedal platform amps, so regardless of the fact that it can do so much more, I like to just use it as an amp, and it does that very well :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

14. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    My approach and experience was very similar to yours. I had my Katana 50 for a very short time before I sold it and bought my Roland BCH.

...and I have YOU to blame for it, raysachs! Thanks!

raysachs and Lef T like this.

15. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Yes, I am well aware of the familial relationship between BOSS and Roland, and no, it's not apples-to-apples. The BOSS has a digital signal path; the Roland has an analog signal path.

The Roland BCH is easier to tweak and, more importantly, it just sounds better than the BOSS Katana. My $.02.

Lef T likes this.

16. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    How well do the Katana or Blues Cube amps sound using a telecaster with dual single coils? Can you get Fender Twin "twang" ? Thanks

17. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Whether something is valve, solid state (digital or analog) doesn't matter to me, provided it does the job I want it to do.

Frodebro and Lef T like this.

18. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Yes. Check this out:

Chicago Slim and Lef T like this.

19. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    I only use the katana for low volume playing in my appartment. I definitly hear the digital fizz sometimes when gain is added and single coils is used.
    My joyo americana pedal (into 5f1) is still the best low volume solution for me. Katana isn't bad. 200 dollar or euro for a giggable amp?

20. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    Thanks very informative.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.