Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The BOSS Katana 50 is a game-changer.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adamlovesgin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    No I think the point of those threads have more to do with SS Watts are not = to Tube Watts. Have a nice day.

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

That was one debate.
    But Tprior was in many a debate over his predilection for larger amps, and would enter into vigorous debate over the growing assertion that 15W was enough for any venue, when mic'd up, often with me.

I'm pretty sure that I was here on TDPRI, during those debates.

beagle likes this.

3. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is exactly what I did last night. Full rock band practice with acoustic drums. The other guitar player was going through some kind of 50 watt Marshall combo. Basically I was running my Katana 100 on the 0.5 watt setting, with the master volume most of the way up, and a volume pedal set so that lead volume was with the pedal floored, and then I backed off a bit for rhythm. No problem keeping up, but we would play louder at a gig so I would need to just to the 50 watt setting.

4. GuitarKaos

GuitarKaos TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Earth
    Great.... I've been eyeing one of these since probably around a month after they came out WILLING myself not to buy one... This is not helping....

On the plus side, $200 isn't really "the wife will divorce me" territory... I've gone much higher and she's still around so far..... :)

..... unless of course it's more of a compounding sorta thing...

Nepenthe and beagle like this.

5. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Any amp mic'd up would work in a live situation. A 1 watt amp mic'd would work in a live situation.

beagle likes this.

6. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Let's not derail this Katana love thread #49, please!

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Really?! Is that what you do? Not me, sorry.

But if you believe that, Cool, take it up with the big amp fanboy!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC

who doesn't sell a 15 watt amp ? It wasn't directed at BOSS, just general. I could swear there are plenty of 15 watt amps out there, in fact, I have one !

Ok, maybe it's 16 watts, or 14 ...

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Ha ! yes , we had those debates for a long time , I'm sure with a little assertiveness we could begin them again !

I still love the " mic the small amp conversation "

well what if you don't have a quality PA system ? They are getting smaller and smaller as well. Quite the conundrum !

I still wanna know, why do we need more than 50 watts ? I thought that the big bad 100 watt Twin Reverb was the beast of the dark ages,( way too loud ) now all of a sudden 100 watts is "IN" for $349 .

It's all so very confusing ! Or are we just repeating history ........................ again ?

or maybe, just maybe, we put that 100 watt Katana next to a Twin Reverb or a 45 watt Super reverb, or even a 40 Watt Blues Deluxe and we learn in a NY minute what $349 really buys these days. :(

ok, nap time !:)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

10. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY

A Twin is 100 tube watts, which -in the real world -is louder more usable at high volume than 100 SS watts. And the point of the 100 Watt Katana is NOT that it's 100 watts and the smaller one is only 50 - I gigged the 50 and it was plenty loud, unmiked. It's that the 100 watt version sounds better because of a better speaker and maybe cabinet, and it has a really usable effects and channel switching system. I would have even preferred a 50 watt 112 version of this amp IF it had the good speaker and the GAFC footswitch.

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    A watt is a watt. The difference between tubes and solid state is that tubes can be pushed far beyond their rated clean power and still sound musical. A 100W Marshall isn't louder than a 100W solid state amp because "tubes are louder," it's because a 100W Marshall, when pushed hard, is putting out around 180 watts.

12. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    So... there's one for sale here: brand new 100 euros! Should I?

13. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Um, that's exactly why I said that 100 tube watts are more usable in the real world. In any case, no one on this or any other thread has said that the amp is underpowered.

14. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    Do it!
    Also, where? I may buy one at that price.

15. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    Haha, it was a second hand deal of an old man who got it for his birthday. They apparently didn't know he only plays acoustic guitar... :)

DrBGood likes this.

16. twobuckchuck

twobuckchuck Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    California
    50 SS Watts is different that 15 tube watts. SS need more wattage because you don’t want any actual amp distortion. Any distortion needs to be designed before the actual amp clips. Tube amps can be pushed to the limits because the actual distortion is pleasing to the ear.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If this is a fair description of how the Katana is a "game changer", I don't want that kind of change.
    Aside from the cheap price, I'm not seeing the advantages.

It seems that all the built in FX are a big part of the value, but then it seems that it becomes difficult to use all those FX if you're a big user of FX.

I'm not sure the .5 watt feature is an actual feature, as opposed to a selling point on the list.
    A .5 watt setting on a tube amp might be an advantage because we all know a tube amp must be cranked to sound good (one more myth that sells the latest product), but why does a SS amp with circuitry that mimics all sorts of amps need a setting that reduces the power amp output in order to run at a lower volume?

I see a big feature list at a small price that users report sounds great/ good/ bad/ great until compared to a Blues cube or tube amp/ good enough and the audience doesn't care/ good for the price...

How is the game changed?
    Seems like another technological creep forward in the endless creep.
    And maybe a hype push to get more customers used to the idea that fiddling with patches is an essential part of playing music.

Meanwhile, guitar seems to be drifting out of popular music, while tech is telling players they need endless FX in their rigs.

Is all that FX use really of any musical value?
    Is more digital SS presets really essential to playing impactful music?
    Are players with one of the dozens of light weight affordable 1,2,3 and 4 channel 15-20w tube amps left in the dust by this cheap and complicated alternative?

I'm not against those who use this particular tool, I'm just not seeing any great leap for guitar playing.

18. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure it's not for everyone, but the Katana 100 meets all of my needs. Every. Single. One. It sounds great on top of that. The clean, crunch, lead, and brown channels all sound good for their intended genre and can be tweaked through the Boss program if you hook up your laptop.

The presets and effects included with the Boss Tone Studio are amazing. I opted for the 100 so I could get the GA-FC pedal which makes my pedals obsolete. Pretty much any sound I want can be tweaked, stored, and accessed by the switch, and I can use two expression pedals. I sold all of my pedals except for a tuning pedal and my Tube Screamer which I never use any more. I agree. It's truly a game changer!

Boss hit it out of the park with this one!

Edit: The reason I went with the 100 over the 50 was this video, and so that I could get the GA-FC pedal.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Perhaps. If you're an MS Windows guy who likes to tweak.

IMHO, the analog signal path and WYSIWYG control panel on the Roland Blues Cube Hot make it hard to beat.

Sure, it costs more $$$, but you get what pay for...

20. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm actually not a big effects user, but it is nice to have them sometimes. If you play a variety of cover tunes in varying genres, the flexibility of an amp like this is undeniable. Is it necessary? No. Would I be fine with an AC15 and 3 pedals? I suppose I'd be ok, but I'd be spending more and I wouldn't have a pristine clean tone at high volume, I wouldn't be able to get a Marshally tone at low volume, I would have a 'good enough' weird pedal for that one time I need it, etc. So I think this is better and it's also cheaper which is nice.
    I don't think it's a "game changer" but I do think it's an excellent amp for the money, good enough that I don't feel like I need a "real" tube amp anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.