Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The BOSS Katana 50 is a game-changer.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adamlovesgin, Mar 9, 2018.

1. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    Well I finally went ahead and bought the Katana 50.

I needed a wah and tuner anyway, so I figured a K50 and Multi-fx would be the way to go

I wasn't too keen on the 100 model + the £80 switch with no wah. It just wouldn't work for me.

But £160 for a compact, loud pedal platform ?

... with every FX you can image in the box ? (great for practice).

... Roland/BOSS reliability ?

... Even some preset / channel switching functionality ?

I must admit it, I had my doubts, but tested in earnest, Yes the headroom is there, the tone is there.

It's the easiest and best guitar-related purchase I've ever made!

The-Kid, Georox and DougM like this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I just wish they'd make a better practice model - say 20 watts with an 8" speaker and all the features.

emisilly likes this.
  3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Curses - you're not helping! I'm trying not to buy one of these.

4. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    Well, there is the 'air' isn't their.

Honestly though, it's tiny anyway, and you have the 0.5w mode.

Georox and DougM like this.
  5. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    The hype is justify, It's almost too cheap not to get one.

beagle likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    But the Katana 50 has 0.5W, 25W and 50W settings. :confused:

7. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I've had mine over a year now, easily the best £160 I've spent in many years.

8. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    I haven't even scratched the surface with it, going to hook up Tone Studio tonight to see how the crunch + Treble boost sounds :)

richey88 likes this.
  9. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    I've had it a few weeks now and I can get 2 distinct uses out of it...

1) A loud and clean pedal platform for my ME-80 in a band context (works flawlessly.
    2) A quick practice solution with all the FX etc.

I'm sure once I've honed the crunch channel I could get away with that live too, as the amp OD is superior to the ME-80

..... £160 though??? beggars belief!

10. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
  11. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Loved mine, sold it to get the 100.
    You might be surprised by how much better the 100w with the big footswitch is. More bass response, better overall tone, more presets, great intuitive control with the footswitch. Plug an expression pedal directly into the foot controller and you really don't NEED any other pedals at all.

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.
  12. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    Just to prove I'm not just a BOSS fanboy....

I disagree i'm afraid.

With the 100, you get 8 patches (not that many) + a manual mode which isn't flexible in the least...

E.g you only get to switch between 3 'groups' of FX - BOOST/MOD / DELAY/FX / REVERB.

Now I know you can move FX from MOD into FX etc, and I know a volume boost is available with a jump-lead in the FX loop, but it's just a CLEAN boost (no good for me).

I want to be able to kick in the BOOST, DELAY and MOD manually, which I can only do by switching things around in TONE-STUDIO, live teaking then becomes a bit of a nightmare.

... adding a wah into the equation only complicates this further..

... and I'm still without a tuner.

I'm sure it would work for a lot of players who only use FX occasionally, but if you need readily switchable sounds a MULTI-FX is far more convenient and less confusing.

13. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Two words.
    Katana FxFloorboard :twisted:

Spaceboy likes this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Not true, once you learn more about the capabilities you'll see that I'm right. For instance there are at least three boosts, each of which has a bunch of control. For another instance the GAFC does allow you to kick in all of those things manually that you mentioned. You can also turn on / off the effects loop (which the 50 lacks). EACH of the 8 patches can have their own set of effects assigned, and each effect is switchable on / off from the GAFC.
    A Wah can still be used, of course, or you can plug in an expression pedal into the GAFC and use it as a Wah.
    The on thing you cannot do is mess with detailed parameters of effects such as the tone knobs etc. And you need a $10 Snark on your headstock. But the 100 with GAFC will, otherwise, do every single thing you mentioned.

15. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    The firmware update also allows you to put delays in the reverb slot, and stack a delay and a reverb. And the GAFC has tap temp as well. I'm telling you it is a great system. Unless you need more than 3 effects on at a time you probably don't need any other pedals.

Myself, I have been messing with it for several weeks now and played one gig with it. I'm coming around to the idea to have maybe 3-4 pedals up front (two dirts and a comp) plus a good old Boss tuner, then use the Katana for all my mods and delays. That setup allows me to use two mods at once - which I would almost never do - or a mod and two delay settings, etc. Pretty flexible.

Edit: The best thing about the 100 though is that it sounds better. Richer and sweeter with a great bass response.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  16. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    Ok I'll take it back. It is flexible..

It's just not as flexible, intuitive, or convenient as having a multi-fx with separate COMP(Solo/Boost), OD, MOD, DELAY, REVERB, WAH (+pedal).

17. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    Ok, say for example, I'm playing a song that requires flanger in one part, delay in the other...

That's a flanger in BOOST/MOD, and and Delay in Delay, (I can't use a boost for this but that's fine....

Then I wan't another 80's chorus sound with the option to boost for solos... - That's BOOST (BOOST/MOD), chorus (DELAY/FX).. again fine, but if I want to add delay I need to move this into reverb.

That's just two sounds, and two problems. I'm not saying the 100 can't do it, I'm saying it's a pain and intuitive which isn't condusive to live!

18. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Canada
    I love mine as well. Great little amp for messing around with at home.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    My understanding is that the bigger, better tone of the 100 is due mainly to a different model, bigger magnet speaker than the 50 has.

20. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

I have zero regrets about buying my Katana 50. I don’t even have a tube amp anymore. Such a natural sounding/reacting amp. Perfect pedal platform amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.