Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The biggest stinkers of well known bands.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Sep 22, 2017.

1. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    If I like the band, I kind of accept the one-offs. Mother's Lament from Disraeli Gears is filler. I'll accept it to get Strange Brew and introducing me to Blind Joe Reynolds with Outside Woman Blues.

2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    My wife would nominate "Lay, Lady Lay" from Dylan's Nashville Skyline. I agree.

3. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I don't begrudge him that.

He was in the Beatles, and recorded Ram and Band On The Run, amongst other things. I can't think of many artists who have consistently achieved brilliance across a 50-odd year career in rock'n roll.

brookdalebill likes this.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Citadel, from this album, is the finest recording "The Rolling Stones" have ever created.

Sometimes you hit a home run even when trying to make a fool of yourself.

demon and Teddyjack like this.

5. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    Some Beatles songs have been mentioned but the one I really can't stand is Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    No accounting for taste. I liked both Rocky Racoon and Bungalow Bill. They were both of those guy's attempts at sort of Americana, well except for the tiger hunting part - we don't do a lot of that in the States. And I was a kid when I wore out my first copy of the White Album so maybe I wouldn't have liked them as much if I was older when I first heard them, but they still work for me, even it it's largely nostalgia. But what part of the Beatles isn't nostalgia at this point? I haven't like much of a anything Macca's done since the Beatles, but Lennon was a good influence on him. Similarly I loved Bob Weir's playing in the Dead, but can't stand his solo stuff or most of his side projects. Sometimes it's the combinations that work.

troy2003 likes this.

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Wow, if that’s Gene’s idea of a bad song, his criteria must be quite high. I can understand how that song really isn’t “him” and how the guitar sounds were cheesy on that entire album (only Paul played) but there are some great harmonic changes there. He also used to put down “I was made for loving you”.
    According to Paul, his least favorite Kiss song was “No,no,no”
    I used to think that “Going blind” was cheesy but look how it got revived during the unplugged era.

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

btw it's "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill".... :D

9. boppy

boppy TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Toronto
    I've always liked "Bungalow Bill" and "Rocky Raccoon"

Those were among the first Beatles songs I learned to play.

Hell, they're still part of my Camp-Fire Song repertoire too!

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    "Bungle in the Jungle" a conscious attempt to get back on track after the awful Minstrel in the Gallery album, but it sounds like bad self imitation. By the "Folk " albums Ian had it back together again.

24 track likes this.

11. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I love that whole album , but Theres no accounting for taste, I wore out 4 albums

now anything in the "I want to be the beatles but Im not catagory", lets go to the Monkees
    I hated everything they did a bad construct from the begining, Stephan Stills said it was the best career move of his life was being rejected for the part Micheal Nesmith got.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

12. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    dont forget heavey horses

13. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I never liked the white albun except for a few cuts

14. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    "Wild Honey Pie" (the one where they just yell "honey pie" over and over) is far worse than "Honey Pie" (the one with the 20's jazz feel) IMO (I have a hunch you may have meant the former).
    "Goodnight" and "Revolution #9" are Lennon/McCartney "works" that make the White Album a 3 side record for me.
    I can't really rattle off a George song from the Beatle era that's terrible, since they only let him get a few of his recorded.

15. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    I am as big of a Rush fan as anyone alive, but I could do without Vapor Trails and Roll the Bones.

Paul Jenkin and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

16. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    Nope, believe it or not it's Paul's music hall stuff that bothers me more. (I really love Louis Armstong's Hot Fives and Sevens and the Jelly Roll Morton Red Hot Peppers records, "Honey Pie" doesn't read as '20s jazz to me) This is what I mean about no one being able to agree on what to cut.

17. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    I personally didn't like the last album of Adele's. I waited all that time for her new music and "Hello" all the way through the song listing really didn't do it for me....

Laura

18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

You might find some consensus here.

RadioFM74 likes this.

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Oooh I could go with you on that one! I loathe it (and I love the Beatles…).

A.B.Negative likes this.

20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    … and vice versa, although I prefer John’s later output to Paul's.

It always puzzled me, just how much the Beatles output was better than their solo works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.