Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The biggest stinkers of well known bands.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    In the Eagles documentary Glenn Frey said that he learned how to write songs by listening how his below neighbour Jackson Browne was working on "Doctor, my eyes" He also said that he spoke about the song writing process to his friend JD Souther and expressed how afraid he was that he would be writing bad songs. At which Souther went "Oh you WILL be writing bad songs, it's all part of the learning curve."

But even song writers who are known for their stellar output can produce some real stinkers, let's name them and I'll start with the fab four.

(I can't find any of their songs on Youtube anymore...)

Paul's stinker is without a doubt "Rocky Raccoon" quite what the object was behind the writing of that song is a mystery but with lyrics like "Her name was McGill but she called herself Lil but everybody knew her as Nancy" I wonder if Macca himself knew.

Now John's stinker which also was on the White Album DOES have a clear storyline but John sang it in a "Okay-since-it-HAS-to-be-done" kinda voice as if he knew "The continuing story of Bungalow Bill" was his biggest stinker.

2. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    I think you'll find that Rocky Raccoon is actually rather well-liked by many. It is nonsense of course, but it tells a story of loss, revenge, and redemption. It also has a colorful cast of characters.

I would think "Why Don't we do it in the Road" would be a better candidate. Yeesh. But at that point pretty much anything they touched was loved by many.

3. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    Probably the only guy in the world to think this but....

Dire Straits - Walk of Life
    The Police - Tea in the Sahara

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yes, you probably are...

drf64 and rich815 like this.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Man I LOVE those 'clouds of sound' Andy Summers uses on Tea...

It's evocative, mysterious and a bit spooky.

rich815 likes this.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I agree with #1. I disagree with #2; that song is haunting with a cool bass line.

"The Crunge" by Led Zeppelin is a real stinker.

trouserpress, BuckSatan and Anode100 like this.

7. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I don't think we'll see anything remotely like a consensus on anything here. No matter how awful a song seems to one group of people, other will like it or defend it.

I declare this thread ineffective low hanging fruit.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I personally love Why Don't We Do It In The Road. One of Sir Paul's " rockier " vocal performances.

Steve Holt and Tommy Biggs like this.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    "Don't Pass Me By" is WAY worse than either "Rocky Raccoon" "Bungalow Bill", redeemed only years later by THESE guys covering it

Which I guess proves the old adage "It's the singer, not the song"

Jakeboy, wabashslim and Tommy Biggs like this.

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Macca's come up with some howlers over the years.

"The Frog Chorus" springs to mind.

IMHO, he's been milking his reputation for the last couple of decades.

11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    What if I told you that lyrics have no bearing on whether or not music is good? Honey Pie is a much worse song than any others previously named from that album.

"The BEATLES", "Physical Graffiti", and "Exile on Main St." are all double albums that fans agree could have benefitted from some editing. But no one agrees on what to cut.

12. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think Paul's execrable songs are all post Beatles. Rocky Raccoon was his go at writing country. Let It Be is a hymn. He wrote songs just to use effects. Penny Lane was written to showcase French horns, which George Martin had just introduced him to. They wrote Yellow Submarine as a kid's song and so Ringo could sing something. Ditto Octopus's Garden.

Sometimes, John and Paul were just songsmithing

When you're rich establishment artists with your own label you can indulge. LZ albums from Physical Graffiti onwards and especially Presence, Page was more out of it due to addiction issues and JPJ production and Plant's solo contributions started to come to the fore. Some was hit and miss but some was good.

The Crunge? I think it moved the needle on Zep, sort of an essay on beats; like songs like The Rover Custard Pie, In My Time of Dying demonstrate movement from a blues to a heavy metal band.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

13. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Gene Simmons said in the DVD commentary of "Kissology" that he "wasn't there" during the eighties and that thanks to his lack of focus some real stinkers actually ended up on Kiss records.

To his own account "She's so European" was his absolute worst, He names the subject itself as a reason and the cheesy keyboard sound as another. He says that that song should have ended up in the bin with so many other songs he wrote like "My mother is the most beautiful" and "Stanley the Parrot" which never saw and never WILL see the light of day.

Steve Ouimette and audiopablo like this.

14. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I don’t like the Walk of life either, sounds like a soundtrack for soccer commercial to me...

emisilly, blowtorch and jimmytheshoe like this.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I am afraid I love Rocky Raccoon, Bungalow Bill, Why don’t we do it in the road (for what it is), and I’m not so against Don’t Pass Me By. Heck, I LOVE Octopus’ Garden on Abbey Road!
    In that sprawling White album, there is worse – Goodnight, Revolution n° 9…
    Tea in the Sahara is one of my favorite Police cuts (if you look for horrors, best look in Andy’s direction: Mother). Walk of life isn’t too bad either.
    Sorry guys :oops:
    OK – I don’t like Lennon’s “Because”, and as said by others I find that post IV, Led Zeppelin have put out their share of duds (“Candy store rock”, “Hot dog" anyone?). Not to mention Sting after releasing “Mercury Falling”.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

16. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Radiohead's entire King of Limbs album. Utter crap and they're one of my favorite bands.

emisilly likes this.

17. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    This

Tommy Biggs likes this.

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I love The Doors, but this one is a stinker to me.

Deeve, audiopablo and emisilly like this.

19. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Haha, proving the point, that one mans trash is another mans treasure... I like don't pass me by!
    My thinking is not that these songs are bad or throwaway, just that the artists were feeling a need for a directional change to get a notion 'out' in some way.
    Knopfler's use of 3 chord rock songs is ok with me, it balances the broader stuff. Twisting by the pool, MTV, etc.
    Springsteen, Lennon McCartney, Joe Walsh... that all of these guys can write is not really disputable.

To me, these approaches to simpler structure songs and lyrics provide examples of how to add a bit of interest and color to a song that is maybe a bit more relatable to a hack like me. I dig a lot of the crap songs listed in this thread.

blowtorch likes this.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Hey, let's try and be the Beatles!

Rolling_Stones_-_Their_Satanic_Majesties_Request_-_1967_Decca_Album_cover.jpg

Oh, crap- we're not the Beatles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.