Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The Bestest Les Paul Ever

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by benderb9, Jan 30, 2013.

1. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

2. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

It is nice, but not that nice. Yeah, I think you're right about this guy's latent anger issues. For some reason, while reading his ad, the only thing I could think was, "douchenozzle."

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Lowballers and scammers bring out the worst in some people.
    If you can't handle those guys, stay off CL.
    It's a haven for em', no?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Looks to me like a half-assed attempt to clear a debt.

6. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

I don't know, I've managed to sell plenty on CL without going on some kind of a tirade. Just delete the scam emails, and counter-offer the low-ballers. It's a chore, yes, but it's not soul killing.

7. joelstrummer

joelstrummer Tele-Meister

Was thinking it was overpriced until he noted that it's a "real heavy guitar," so maybe based on per lb weight it's a steal. ;)

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

Ridiculous! I wouldn't pay a dime over $2000 for that guitar, rare as it is!

9. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like he's trying the "Nasty Norm" approach to shaming someone into paying his price, LOL. Since you could buy a new "Lester" for that I think $2500 for a 30 year old Epi might be a stretch. Anyone bold enough to email and suggest what it's really worth. :mrgreen:

I've come to the conclusion that some lowballers aren't even looking to buy for themselves but rather to buy at a price that will allow them to flip whatever you've got for a profit. It's almost the opposite of the scammers since in this case the right price is all they're interested in. They don't ask the questions that an interested buyer would usually ask it's just simply "will you take $$$ for it" and always much lower than you're asking. Not even close to negotiating range.

I won't even bother to negotiate via email or over the phone with CL lowballers. If they're not interested in seeing it and evaluating it in person with cash in hand then they're just "kickin' tires" and not a live prospect as far as I'm concerned unless you're willing to practically give it away. Once you refuse to negotiate any other way but in person the time wasters disappear without another word. They aren't my buyers.

10. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Imgivingupusingspacemarksandpuctuationaswellhejustgaveuppunctuationbutimtakingittoanotherlevel

11. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

This is a good system.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

I have very few hard and fast rules with craigslist, except one: I no longer respond to an ad that won't provide a phone number. Email takes too long, and the 'seller' almost never replies anyway.

While I understand not wanting to negotiate via text or email, I have had someone ask me 'if I come look at it and like it, would you go $500 cash?' The reason they sometimes do this is maybe they live 50 miles away. If $500 is the max they'll pay, and if the least I'll take is $550, what's the point of going any further? I don't mind telling them that 'yeah, I can go $500, but no lower,' or, 'sorry, $550 is the lowest I'll go, thanks.'

The only thing I've 'lost' in that situation is the 10 seconds it took to respond to them. I've sold many guitars and amps with that type of text exchange, with of course a voice conversation typically taking place prior to them coming over.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

I can understand that if a guy is contacting me from the Springs or Ft. Collins or the mountains and tells me that. I'm assuming that typically these are either local responses or some guy who isn't even even in this area factoring in shipping costs. The "tell" is that they're not even asking to see it first before they make an offer.

I think your point about a phone number is well taken and if it's not given I will ask for it. But you're right, there's usually no follow up response when I do or if I tell them I will only consider negotiating with them that way or in person. Even the assumption that they'd buy it if I agreed to their price is a false one. That's just an invitation for an "OK thanks let me think about it". If I want to buy anything for the best price I can get I should show up ready to buy then and there cash in hand. Wouldn't you?

If a potential buyer has a serious interest when we talk and makes a reasonable offer I'll consider it or counter it. There's no sense in both of us wasting our time if a deal can't get done. But most of what I'm talking about are "tire kickers" just shopping my price against other stuff they may also be interested in. That's why I get the sense they're re-sellers and not end users or at the very least only semi interested in what I have.

If they're not interested enough to call and make arrangements to at least see it how serious are they really? Who calls up a car dealer and offers them $7k or $8k over the phone sight unseen for a car they've advertised for $10.5k? They'd laugh at you and suggest you to come down to negotiate because you can't sign for the deal over the phone.

If I'm ready to buy something used I want to look it over first and I come with cash in hand so I can only assume that any other interested and qualified buyer would do the same. It seems like kind of an insult to make a lowball offer without even having taken the time to see if what's being offered is worth what's asked isn't it?

14. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Did you get past the terrible spelling, and grammar? :eek:
    That aspect alone-makes it difficult to consider the gear.

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think that Epiphone was even making the Les Paul model in Japan in 1980. I don't think that would have started until about 1990.

It looks like a Masterbuilt from the past 5 or 6 years.

Maybe I'll send the guy an email and let him know.

16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Holic

Do you think he'll take $300?

Dad! Bring me a beer.
    Mom?! Meatloaf!

17. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Let's all email offers of $300.
    I'm sure this guy would love that!

18. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

That's hilarious!

I don't want to be mean to anyone, but that would be hilarious to all come back here and share his responses.

19. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I think the Epi LP was first made in 1988.

20. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Some people know how to sell and some just never get it...

21. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

I'm in, if y'all are...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.