Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Best Vacation of Your Life

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PearlJamNoCode, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:29 AM.

1. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    My wife and I are trying to plan a trip for next summer, but there are so many choices that are making it difficult to narrow it down.

Have you ever been on an absolutely epic vacation? A once-in-a-lifetime type trip that blew away your expectations? Feel free to include pictures!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We made Singapore our hub and went to India, Nepal, Mauritius, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Oh, that was pre-kids.

JayFreddy and PearlJamNoCode like this.

3. JL_LI

JL_LI TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    My wife and I have been very fortunate to have had a number of 'vacation of a lifetime' experiences. In no particular order, Machu Picchu in Peru with a stay in Cusco. Allow a week or more if you want to see Lake Titicaca. Airlines aren't to expensive between cities. If you have more like ten days, Israel. We stayed at the David Citadel near the old city. My wife never had a Bat Mitzvah so we arranged for that on top of Masada. We also saw Jericho (the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world) on the West Bank with a Palestinian driver, a staged demonstration from the top of the Mount of Olive, and much too much more to detail here. If you can vacation November thru April, the south island of New Zealand is spectacular. It's like going back in time 65,000,000 years. You almost expect to see a dinosaur emerge from the rain forest that's evolved little from the Cretaceous period. If you go there in the northern hemisphere summer, skiing is great but the rain forests are dreary. Many major roadways are one lane with pullouts. There's little enough traffic that it will be easy to learn to drive on the left, but you'll also find that river crossing bridges are often shared with railroad tracks. Sheep have the right of way, always. If you're looking for a city experience, my favorite city is Paris. Stay five days and you won't miss much. Rent a car and don't miss Giverny, the Normandy beaches and Le Mont St Michel or drive south to Bordeaux. You can spend a lifetime in France and not see it all.

4. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Folly Beach, SC.

Its like panama city beach for Adults. Great Food, Good Music, and a bar every 10 ft....plus the ocean. (and Charleston)

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    For me our "ultimate vacations" have been more about great times with loved ones and families more than where we have gone.

There are a lot of very special places, obviously, on planet Earth. One of my personal favorite places is Glacier National Park in Montana.

6. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Hard to be sure, but probably Turks and Caicos, but maybe Grenada. I also have had a great time in Los Cabos, Costa Rica, and Puerto Vallarta. I just love the Caribbeans, Mexico and just anywhere in that region.

So many more than these, like Jamaica, St. Martin (not our favorite), and can't even remember some of them.

Ya know, Lake Tahoe ... in the Summer ... is really nice too. I even had more fun than I thought I would in London and even in New York City. I guess I am pretty easy to please, just get me outta the office. :)

Beaches Resort in Grenada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beaches Resort at Turks and Caicos
    [​IMG]

Playa Conchal Resort, Costa Rica.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sandals Resort, Antigua
    [​IMG]

Villa Estancia Resort, Los Cabos
    [​IMG]

Lake Tahoe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    tery likes this.

7. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I lived and worked in Las Vegas for 4 years. I didn't dig the desert that much, and I don't miss Vegas, but living there was like being on a 4 year vacation.

8. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Try a canoe camping trip in the 1,090,000 acre N.E. Minnesota Boundary Waters wilderness area .

rcole_sooner and AJ Love like this.

9. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I recommend French Polynesia. Like Hawaii 80 years ago. Great beaches, snorkeling, diving. Very friendly people. Awesome surf. Nice hotels and pensions. 7 hr direct flight from LAX.

10. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Seen a lot of Mexico and the Caribbean, but the most titillating place for me was Maui. From black sand to brown sand to white sand, the place is amazing. From the top of a volcano that made me wonder about the moon to seeing dozens of falling stars in a single night. Even saw whales from a distance.

For the best vibe without moving, Telluride, although there's plenty to explore that we didn't. Also, I'd go back to Santa Fe and Taos in a heartbeat.

rcole_sooner likes this.

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    One other word: Alaska. A new world around every corner.

12. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

Look into the deals offered through Gate 1 Travel.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I took a Million Vacations with Max Webster...an outa body staycation

14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Last thing I did that could be called a vacation was driving a new, loaded Trans Am from Charleston SC back to Idaho when I got out of the army. Spent over a week just tooling along and seeing different land marks. That was in ''83. Nothing since.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM

15. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    A very small resort in an undeveloped bit of Jamaica. It was like being dropped into another world; you got to know the Jamaicans, excellent meals, reasonable rates, no schedule. It was so relaxing. Owner died, the resort is gone, alas. Made life-long friends there.

Staying in a tiny little ‘family hotel’ in Florence, in September. I love it there. Been twice but it’s been 15-odd years.

We stay on a relatively undeveloped island in FL every year now, but I can’t really call it a vacation because we spend two months + there.

scrapyardblue and rcole_sooner like this.

16. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Some people's vacation heavens might be another's holiday from hell. Several places listed here that I would never want to go see.

I prefer isolated places in nature. I suggest several weeks camping at Big Bend National Park between October and March. Have fun...

[​IMG]

Matt G, tery and rcole_sooner like this.

17. rcole_sooner

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I've been to Maui and Oahu, going back to Oahu this year.

I had a great time for sure, and expect to again.

I just don't like the long plane flight, and it is not quite as much fun for me as the Caribbeans.

That said, with the current storm damage, Hawaii will be in better shape this year than many places in the Caribbeans.

Maui Kapalua Golf Course
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oahu, Waikiki ... a long time ago (pre-smartphone :D ) ... going back this year
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tery likes this.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Glacier,KW,Barbados
    You choose order

19. rcole_sooner

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I can't ever get my wife to go, but I enjoy 1 week per year setting out under the dark Black Mesa skies.

Probably not for most women ... or men ... but few will ever see skies this dark. Just beautiful.

The skies are dark, because there are no real towns for many miles in all directions. So much nothing you can feel it.

[​IMG]

Honest Charley likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.