The best of eighties gated drums.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]
    Well I guess we all recognize this guy and we all know THAT sound.

But what not many people realize that Phil Collins wasn't the only one who utilized that powerful "cannon shot" gated drum sound, in fact it was more every day than people figured it was.
    [​IMG]
    This is Tony Thompson, best known for being the drummer for Chic but he also was the guy who embraced the gated drum sound even more than Phil Collins did.

So where did it start?

Well it got its origin when Phil worked with his former Genesis band mate. Producer Hugh Padgman conversed with Collins using a microphone which went from the control room into the studio and by accident left it on while Phil began recording, resulting in feedback coming through the speakers and bled into the drums' overhead mics which made the drums sound really powerful.

We know the rest of the story "In the air tonight", "Mama" and further Phil Collins and Genesis material from the eighties used that sound. BUT Collins also knew when NOT to use that sound, a song like "that's all" for example has Phil Playing without that sound.

But let's talk about other examples of eighties music in which that gated drum sound was heard.

Madonna "Material girl"
    When being interviewed about his work with Madonna, producer Nile Rodgers told her "Look, we can make this album sound like your previous album, which will make it fit right in with every other pop album which is out there. OR, we can make it stand out and have some serious musicians play on it, it's your call." No drum machines and as little synths as possible. Madonna agreed with his logic and Nile brought in his buddies from Chick, Bernard Edwards and Drummer Tony Thompson and track the songs in a power trio set up. Using the gated drums to really give this song in particular some serious punch.

Well with Cannon shot drums, it shouldn't be surprise that Metal bands also took notice. And a band which needed a shot in the arms pretty badly was Kiss and they got it when drummer Eric Carr was coupled to the gated drum sound.

"I love it loud" put the band right back to full strength.

Duran Duran "A view for a kill"

Duran Duran had already started working with gated drums on their debut album but truly got the hang of it on the "Notorious" album where they had Tony Thompson (familiar name?) provide all the drum tracks and most notably on the song "Skin trade" But original DD drummer Roger Taylor (No, NOT that one...) was pretty adept to working with that sound as well, as this song and songs like "Wild Boys" showcased.

Finally and this one might catch people off guard.

With Tears for Fears the gated drum sound was used to make the general sound of the band really vast, it wasn't as in your face as a song like "Some like it hot" was but it's there.

backporchmusic and Bruxist like this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

To me, it's the sound of the eighties. If I'm unaware of a piece of music, and I hear that sound, I guess it's from the eighties.

3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

From what I've read and what I saw in the bio pic, I'm pretty sure it was the producer for Joy Division who created that sound. He recorded each drum separately. I don't mean with a different microphone, I mean that the drummer had to play the song over and over while he recorded one drum at a time. That sound became the drum sound of the '80s... gated with lots of reverb.

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It was hard to find a record that DIDN'T have that sound to at least some degree in the '80s.

A drummer friend of mine was doing a record with a well-known producer in the early '80s, and he asked for a more "natural" drum sound instead of the typical gated BS the producer had dialed up. The guy told him "no" point blank, explaining "that wouldn't be good for my (the producer's!) career." I'd have fired the SOB on the spot for that (I mean, whose record is this, anyway?), but they were a young band and he was the pro coming off a hot streak.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

The story I heard about that was that when syn drums and some other wacky stuff was going on about 77 or 78... Genesis was in the studio and Peter Gabriel heard leaked drum sounds (from a non drum mic) and liked the sound so much that they figured out how to gate them and the sound was born. That story always made sense to me...

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's a good video about it and its resurgence (*gulp*)

7. fenderese

fenderese Tele-Holic

"In the Air" and lost memories of the 80s
    . I listened to it again and dang if it doesn't take 4 minutes for the gated drums to kick in. I guess that's what happens when you apply compression to brain cells.

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

I'd say they used the Wrong Prince song here because when I put Prince in the equation, THIS song comes to mind.

The Linndrum plays a starring role here.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Blazer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.