Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The best "comping" track ever....? An appreciation for "rhythm" guitar.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JTStivers, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JTStivers

JTStivers TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Topsham, Maine
    I've been circling back to George Benson lately. Whew. Cat can play. I love a lot of the funky CTI stuff from the '70s, and was listening to Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life. For a treat, check out George Benson's comping on "Here's That Rainy Day." I have never heard any comping so tastefully done, and I have always wondered if the part was written out, as it is so "jazz orchestral."

I am also always blown away by John Mayer's rhythm guitar playing. As much as I enjoy his soloing, I think he's an even better rhythm player--among the best I've ever heard. One example is his playing on "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone". He has this chordal soul squeeze thing going on that is too damned funkay.

What comping/rhythm tracks come to mind as the best in your world?

Tobias, xafinity and Chicago Matt like this.

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Jimi, "Like a Rolling Stone" at Monterey.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

3. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Listen to Tuck and Patti. You'll hear some of what John Mayer is playing and much that is more expressive and refined.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, George Benson is a master. That is tasty stuff.
    The toughest rhythm part I have had to learn in a long time was John Mayers "Neon'.

I learned from this video. I would never figured it out myself.. Its amazing to think John Mayers sings the tune while playing this.... ewe I just hate that guy

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Totally with you on GB's work on Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life. I just about wore that vinyl out. All the musicians on that deliver great performances. This record is what really got me into Herbie Hancock. Jack DeJohnette's drums on the title track just smoke. And George Benson's solo starting around 11:00... Thanks for posting!

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I went to "Meet Up at the Movies" the annual Grateful Dead concert from the past shown on the big screen the other night. I was watching a lot of what Bob Weir does. He uses some simple but unusual chord shapes. He's the melodic bridge between Phil and Jerry. Going to see him tonight at Red Rocks for Jerry's 75th Birthday bash.

I remember seeing George Benson on PBS before he had his hits. Just amazing. I love his playing.

There's not enough appreciation for good rhythm guitar in the world!

brbadg likes this.

8. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    YouTube "Sitting Here Crying by Don Gibson. Luke Brandon playing rhythm. He's the only guy in the world who could play straight rhythm and make even Brent Mason go "Damn!"

9. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Bruce Conte all over just about everything in the early Tower of Power

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Best I've heard in the last few years, "guitar faces" to match. This guy is really laying it down.

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.