Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The baking soda trick!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Davecam48, May 7, 2017.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    There's been a bit of discussion regarding the wood darkening trick of baking soda, IMGP9524.jpg and today I masked off a small section of very old Aussie red-gum to test. I masked off a small section and painted it with the soda/water mix and then went to town for "5 minutes"

Of course I got held up and about half an hour later got home and checked out the board.

Here are the results. Remember this is just one application but the sun was directly on it and it's a bright sunny winter's day here 26°C ;)

It seems that the darker the wood is to start the darker it gets. I'll have to sand it down now to see how deep the "fix" is, but that's another day. Have fun with it.

DC

24 track, Doug 54, DonM and 1 other person like this.

2. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

That is nice looking wood.

Both before and after.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    What happens if/when you wash it?

4. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Hi Tony! When I took it back into the workshop it had a little of the white bi-carb powder on the dark bit, but I wiped it off with my hand and then hit it with a good rub from a metho rag. It didn't seem to change it at all.

DC

5. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    It sure is! This piece is from a large power line cross-member the electricity guys took off when they fitted a transformer to the pole outside my place. They offered me a few but it was so heavy I only took one. Now I wish I had more! :rolleyes:

DC

6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'll give it a try on some different bits of timber, out of curiosity more than anything. There's nothing like the experimental approach. :)

7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

This is the first time I've heard of this. Cool.

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I never heard of that, I'll also do some experiments also. I have used Muriatic Acid on wood ( great on Cherry) and Chlorine. Or the one I want to try is

falcon5romeo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.