Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Bad Dog is bereft of anything ACM, amazing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 16, 2018.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have relatives on my wife's side from the Mountains in North Carolina, they are actually "country". I didn't imply tree cover here meant it was actually "country". No one here in Massachusetts is "country", there might be some tiny pockets out in Western MA where people really are "country". Just that it's no concrete jungle here.

What we mostly have here are one person in a hundred who is pretty much still a yuppie but they put on Faux Country aires, and they act out a caricature of people from other parts of the country. E.x. I've worked with plenty of people who work in the tech companies right around Boston, in the Suburbs, or even right in Boston or Cambridge. But they'll move 50-100 miles out of the city and then do a horrific soul crushing commute (4-6 hours a day or more?) so they can buy a big plot of land (big here means 2-5 acres or something) and give it a farm name and be "country". They come in both liberal and conservative variants. The conservative and liberal variants have some differences but both seem to go for Nascar and the Nashville Pop Country/Tractor rock stuff.

I don't think there is really a choice if you're doing this here because there is almost no real/legit local country music. The only way you could get into the rest of country music here would be to pick up an instrument and start going for lessons, and even then it would be synthetic because you'd either have to find someone who was a transplant or just a teacher who had worked really hard to study Country. It wouldn't be the same as learning the tunes growing up in the areas where a lot of that country/folk music came from. So the only choice is to listen to Zac Brown/Jason Aldean/Luke Bryan/Whatever.

But whether real or fake they're usually all nicer people than true "city people".

If Walmart is an indicator that's a great item to point to in terms of how hard it is to be country in Massachusetts.

Sounds ridiculous but I've known multiple people who grew up and lived in New England their entire lives who had put on Texas accents on purpose. *Amazing*

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm wondering if Lawn Tractor Rock would be even better.

I doubt there's been an ACM nominee in 20 years with a Degree in Animal Husbandry. I'd love to see one of these so called "country" people do a soil analysis from the Agricultural Extension Service. They stay way outside of the hog pen; they've never been in one.

Toto'sDad likes this.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    The Academy of Country Music is an ironic name, since it suggests that somewhere out there is this Ivy League institution where future country music stars study pickup trucks and cow tipping.

th.jpg

Anode100 likes this.

4. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    And here I was thinking the C in ACM stood for cleavage all this time :)

Bruxist and Toto'sDad like this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well, I hope whatever y'all do listen to there in Massachusetts don't cause you to go blind or cause necked babies to be born to unwed mothers. :D:lol:

Brent Mason is a pretty fair picker, and most of his awards and grocery money came from stuff he done on good ol' Country and Western Music albums.

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Some of that Cleavage material is gettin' pretty vintage when it's stuffed in a 25 year old dress.

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You know there's phillies, and then there's phillies. Some cowboys are just pretty good at drinkin' beer.

Anode100 and boris bubbanov like this.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That show is so far off my radar...

Toto'sDad likes this.

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Well to be fair:
    th.jpg

I've been to a few country bars (including a bar that is only "country" on Thursday nights (!?) ) and you're right. Really nice people who just happen to like a different type of music than me.

10. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well, you just never know, maybe one day you'll be a huge fan of unrequited love, and consuming large quantities of sorrow juice. Let's hope not, but, just remember Georg Jones didn't start out being no show Jones.

11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now I'm wishing I had watched at least some of the show. The whole Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani thing would have been worth the price of admission. You can't make this stuff up fellas! It's just so cool, you get all this attention, plus huge wads of cash showered upon you, just for acting like you are high class country bumpkins, which isn't that hard to do, because that's what you are!

tery likes this.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    1. you can be a fan of that stuff without ACM. ;-) But I don't watch the Emo Awards Show either...
    2. George Jones was on??

Toto'sDad likes this.

13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Not unless they have a whole lot of pull with the whereeverafter.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    In all fairness to Ms. McIntire, some of that cleavage material is not vintage at all...NTTAWWT.

soulgeezer and Toto'sDad like this.

15. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Point well taken Doctor Tele.

soulgeezer and william tele like this.

16. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I was trying to watch the ACM's, to see Midland. I didn't make it very long. So here's a video.

17. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Heck, if I had know that, I might have watched!

18. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Auto-tuned Cr*ppy Music?

Aged, Curmudgeonly Men / Members?

Acronyms Completely Meaningless?

Always Criticising Mayer?

tery likes this.

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Reba can sing in my band anytime . . . just sayin

william tele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.