Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Bad Dog is bereft of anything ACM, amazing!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay, it's time for some REAL country music:

JL_LI likes this.

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I think its encouraging that both these televised self-congratulatory awards shows aren't being watched by a lot of people and aren't being slagged so much here. I think the world can get along fine with a few less "night of a thousand stars" events on TV.

But it would be nice to see country music have its Nirvana moment, where one band comes along and turns the math upside down. I had kinda hoped that guys like The Avett Brothers, Dave Rawlings Machine or Justin Townes Earle could do it. Earlier, it was Old Crow, Whiskeytown or Uncle Tupelo. But country music is pretty impervious to that sorta thing. The audience tends to be a bit older, so that makes sense.

But you gotta admit, there's some pretty rippin' guitarists working in country music these days. So there's that.

JL_LI likes this.

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    That's real fine country music. The video even has a country girl with way short jean shorts. Thanks for posting. BTW, I watched the ACM show last night and secretly wished I could spend the rest of the night with Maren Morris. I also noticed that Luke Bryant grew up and has started performing music geared to adults. There was also far less misogynistic nonsense. It looks like the 'let's get drunk and hook up in the back of my truck' wave has broken and is receding back into the sea. ACM is country pop; quite commercial and sometimes crass. You can accept it for what it is or listen to something else. Still, some of it's good. I wish Chris Stapleton had been available to perform. He's managed to stay on the country side of the line.

Toto'sDad likes this.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    To tell the truth, I CAN'T listen to anything else besides country music. I'm from Alabama and genetically disposed to the stuff! Wish it were a little better, but hey, you gotta work with what ya got!

JL_LI likes this.

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Reba always looked like Howdy Doody. Now, she looks like Howdy Doody's surgically-enhanced (I'm talking about her face, by the way) grandma...

[​IMG]

When did that happen?

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Grandma Reba gets ahold of you boy, you won't know what hit you until you're in the middle of next week! Probably wake up hanging on the clothesline out back of your house.

7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

Daymn, we can sure be nasty sometimes

8. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Not intended to be nasty -- Just calling 'em like I see 'em (and trying for a little levity in the process; let's face it, if I didn't ride the line with my jokes, you'd stop coming to TDPRI altogether, right? ;) :D ).

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Those of us who live too far from the woods are the ones who don't seem to know what this thread is about!

Toto'sDad likes this.

10. warrent

warrent Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Hey did anyone play any fenders last night? Was anybody on as good as this guy?
    30590398_232391000641947_1114613372738863104_n.jpg

11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    It was nice to see that Alan Jackson still has a great voice.

12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

There were lots of Fenders, Telecasters and basses, even one Fender acoustic.

I was surprised by how many Gibson’s there were.

warrent likes this.

13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Reba is Hot !

william tele likes this.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    There's nothing genetic about my liking country. I'm from NY. I got hooked on it on American Airlines in-flight entertainment channel 6 in the 80's and 90's when I couldn't stand what was being played on the rock and pop channels. I really liked the guitar work I heard and I liked the stories set to song. In fact, it's listening to country music that got me to take out my guitar again after too long a hiatus. I also listen to classical (not romantic) music and early 20th century Russian composers. No accounting for tastes, is there? But that has more to do with a very strong school music program in my district.

Toto'sDad likes this.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    i thought that band Midland was alright, they performed this one last night

Hootie lit it up fairly well with this one

yeah this bland music is not for me. the good stuff generally isn't gonna get played, and the stuff they do play is pretty relatively boring. That Searcher thing does sound interesting. William_tele is right when he says Elvis was special and beautiful. In his bone structure, and his soul.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    william tele likes this.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope, nobody remotely that good.

I thought it was the Anti-Country Music awards show. Surely the stuff played is not considered Country Music, is it? But also very much to the point, whar is this

Academy

these people are talking about? I didn't see anything having to do an academy; that's most evident of all.

This is the Nashville 2018 Pop Music awards program. Truth is a wonderful thing.

ndcaster and warrent like this.

17. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I took up playing guitar while I emptied bottles of booze. It worked right into country music, I liked it pretty good until later on when I got to gettin' those Uber rides in Crown Vics. Now, I'm more of a homemade corn bread and iced tea kind of country music guy!

kuvash likes this.

18. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Country music today is rock and roll and pop music sung with a southern accent while wearing a cowboy hat...

...southern accent and cowboy hat optional.

It's like any other art: If you say you're country, then I guess you are country.

Steel guitar players need not apply. (Anything they do is country by definition, right? So, they don't get a choice. Doesn't quite seem fair, does it? I mean, who is going to be next great progressive jazz or funk steel player, anyway?)

19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Being from Massachusetts, there may be some more stuff that hasn't got there yet!

Wait, is it even possible to live too far from the woods in Massachusetts? :D

20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

Change can be hard for some:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.