Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Agony of Impatience . . .

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by The Angle, Jan 11, 2019.

What should I do?

1. Endure the pain like a man.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Box it up out of sight until the mailman brings salvation.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I just brought home a Line 6 Pod, v2.0, that I picked up from a local seller for $30. This isn't anything I need, it's just a toy, something to mess around with and see what it can do.

I know it works but the seller wanted to keep the power supply. No problem, I thought, I have plenty of 9V power supplies with universal tip adapters lying around.

Only when I got it home and really read the specs did I realize, this thing runs on AC, not DC. So off to eBay to find a dedicated power supply for it.

None of which is a problem really, except now the big red kidney bean is sitting there on the table, defying me, taunting me because I can't even power it up until the adapter arrives, which will take a week!

Bella_Caster and Djentleman Dan like this.
  2. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Jul 30, 2018
    Moorpark, CA
    Without drugs and/or alcohol, it's gonna be rough. Maybe grab a pen/pad and make a list of stuff you want to use it for once it's running.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I dug mine out recently. Bought it new in I think 2000-ish, bit it had been in a box for over a decade. Went to jam with a friend at his apartment, so I couldn't really bring my other amps. Ran it through the CD input of my little Ibanez Tone Blaster amp so it bypassed the amp's EQ. Sounded pretty good for an apartment jam. I like the Brit Classic model best, I think. And some if the effects aren't bad. Hope you enjoy yours once you get the power adapter!

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I had the little red bean one about 8 years ago and I used it plugged straight into a pcm video recorder to post my first youtube cover. Worked a treat. I ran a backing track into it and used headphones before returning into the recorder. I'm too impatient to mess with multi functioned gear though so I gave it to a friend when he bought his first guitar. It was the easiest way to record youtube videos with decent guitar sounds that I have come across. The downside was you cant switch effects or amp sims when recording in one take.

If you have a pedal power unit like a voodoo labs, BBE supa power etc you could use that or a tip adapter with a normal wall wart? The smaller version took batteries too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Bella_Caster likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Careful... I don't think this is true at all. Those units convert to DC outputs which is a sure way to send the POD to the trash bin.

Those original Beans used AC power, not DC. The power supply just converted 120 AC down to 9v AC... there is no tip adapter I know of that will convert a normal wall wart (DC) back into AC.

According to your avatar you are in Seattle. Why use Ebay for a used item you need to pay shipping for? The local guitar center will have a brand new one for $35.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6/PX-2-Power-Supply.gc

Those supplies were used all the way to the POD X3 Live... they are quite common. Here in Canada they are always in stock at the local Long and McQuade (our equivelent to guitar center)

6. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    $10 converter on amazon...

who's going to spend more on a supply than the pod?

The Angle likes this.
  7. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Love to see a link that supply you're talking about.

8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't see one for $10, but the one I ordered was $16 with shipping Yeah it would really irk me to pay more for the power supply than for the computer it's powering.

9. Fingerbleed

Fingerbleed TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2018
    You are here
    Couldn't you run those on batteries as well. Maybe my memory is failing...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

10. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    No battery compartment. Probably because they run on AC.

11. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Go to the local thrift shop; Seattle has (or had) a slew of them. At my local Goodwill, there's one rack on the end of the aisle that has everything I've ever needed 4 out of 5 times, for less than 5 bucks a pop. What's the amperage required? I might even have one sitting around.

EDIT: I've got a 9v 1000mA wall wart from an old LinkSys thingummy. If I was heading to Seattle any time soon I'd bring it to you, but I don't go that way anymore. It's yours for postage if you want it, though that'll likely take longer than the one you ordered.

SECOND EDIT: According to my calipers, it's a 5.5 mm barrel connection, which is fairly common.

12. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Every LinkSys wall wart I've seen is DC... the POD runs off AC which is not nearly as common. Although I do find a few wall warts at the local thrift stores, the vast majority are also DC...

Keep in mind... a typical DC wall wart will turn the POD into a paper weight! It needs 9 volt AC.

13. tubedood

tubedood TDPRI Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Orlando
    I used to have that lil bean Pod 2.0...
    I really liked the tones from it. I am sure you will enjoy it.

14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Take a hammer and smash it to pieces :D

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hahahahaha impatience is a real broken leg in the long game!
    You could borrow my PS that's somewhere in a box with the bean, but I'm just as far as your shipped order.

Some of the stuff I learned on guitar took years of practice to actually work properly, and there are even things that after 39 years remain pretty shaky.

The fun part is when the bean makes you want several of the real thing, and you're back to shopping on the internet!

16. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Oh, I forgot to mention, it's AC. I wouldn't have offered otherwise.

17. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I bought one of these maybe 12 years ago.
    Kind of funny actually,
    I met the seller in a nearby parking lot,
    And he gave me the wrong power supply.
    I didn’t realize it until I got home.
    Frustrating lol.

I just took one I had around and put a tip on it that fit.

Is there no electronic type shop nearby?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.