Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The $5,000+ tele

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jules78, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Well gang there I was on YouTube watching stupid musician texts on the specter sound studios channel. A new video started on that channel comparing a $5300 (case is extra of course) tele called the heartbreaker by a new company based overseas. I think wallet breaker would work too. So I had to see what was so special about it. Well, they select the lightest weight one piece bodies for you! I don't know about you, but the first thing I do when I try a guitar out is weigh it. Everyone knows lighter wood sounds better. That's why my next one will be made from one piece balsa. Now things don't stop there, no sir! See they tried it all and found a magical combo of wood, materials and pickups. I hope you all are reading this while in the restroom sitting down because, well, it's got a one piece alder body and a maple neck. The pickups are these things called single coils. The bridge my oh my it's got these 3 saddles and the strings go through the body, they call it a classic t bridge! Now I know you all are opening your wallets but hold on a minute because it's got a rosewood fretboard that is older than the guitar it's emulating, something called a telecaster that was made so long ago they named it after a tv. A tv I kid you not! So don't delay guys, head on over and buy it before it's gone!

Asmith, nojazzhere, Felino and 2 others like this.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Gibson makes a lot of those limited run $5K+ guitars. I figure rich people buy them, put them in a glass case, and look at them occasionally while they're watching TV.

For about $1200 you could build an incredible partscaster that's every bit as good.

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Are you talking about the 2016 Fender Custom Shop Mike Campbell Heartbreaker?

4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Nothing personal but, I don’t care if Keith Richards spit on it, No guitar is worth 5300.00. I’m with Dismalhead, these are made for people to display and say, “look A 5300.00 guitar”. None of my friends even gig 1500.00 guitars. They leave those at home and bring their MIM axes with upgraded pickups.

nojazzhere, Chicago Matt and Tonetele like this.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Fender Masterbuilts are easily that expensive.

cabra velha and Steve Holt like this.

6. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    You had me until Rosewood. On a Tele? $150, final offer.

Mistercharlie likes this.

7. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    You had me right until then. Maple or bust!

brogh likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I had a Tele with a rosewood fret board one time and I really liked it. I'm willing to go $20 right now, (shipped lets not get carried away)

9. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    I take it no one has been considering buying a Gibson Byrdland.

If sticker shock adversely affects you, DO NOT do a search.

Martin R likes this.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, there are guitars that cost an arm and a leg, but we're lucky. There are lots of guitars that are bargains in the world of musical instruments. No one forces you to buy a 5K Tele, so what raise a stink?

jenos, bottlenecker, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

11. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Apparently you've never heard Robben Ford's sweet tone from his '62 rosewood board Tele.

Teleguy61, richiek65 and nojazzhere like this.

12. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Apparently you've never heard of guitarists' completely random, unscientific, and baseless prejudices.

DougM, Jakedog, nojazzhere and 5 others like this.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    LOL @ "Wallet Breaker"... :p

brogh and Fiesta Red like this.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    One piece alder body? That's some big alder...

15. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I think if a craftsman spends 5 days on a guitar at 500 bucks a day, then add margin, RRP and tax ..... gets in the ballpark ... Depends if you 'want' that level of attention ... Note, I didn't say 'need' that level of attention!

16. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Aah, Grasshopper, your sarcasm training is complete!

richiek65 and Fiesta Red like this.

17. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    This I know from experience (I played mine for an hour today). A Fender Masterbuilt by Krause or Cruz will set you back enough to buy your $5300 Tele, and two or three American Standards to go with it.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Pics please.

nojazzhere likes this.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Betcha a nickel it looks just like a tele!

nojazzhere and kelnet like this.

20. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Agree about the partscaster.

I'm lucky enough to have an R4 Goldtop. These days they (the equivalent) are around £5k (POUNDS!) shop price new. I'd never play £5k of course, but bought used it was a lot less than half of that price (and it is pristine). I play it, of course. It was evident to me that the previous owner just bought it just to look at it or something, so you are right about the glass case type buyer.

I do happen to know someone who lives near me that doesn't play (beyond a couple of chords) and owns about 30 top guitars (all classics of their type) because "he likes them". He's a Rock music nut and he used to earn about a million a year before he burned out and re-joined the human race. Just like the guys that buy watches but don't wear them. Seems a bit of a shame but, well, kept a guitar maker or two in their trade.

Dismalhead likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.