Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The 2017 Les Paul Standard "Painted-Over" Series

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CFFF, Jun 6, 2017.

1. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    Yeah, I've been doing that a lot lately and you are right!

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Why in the world do things like this make people upset?

At those prices there is a limited market anyway. Probably this will find the niche.

If not, folks will get to buy what are likely killer quality guitars at very favorable prices.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

They need to do a gold-over-cherry, with the red dye bleeding through the gold. I've seen several 335s that look like that...

4. David Barnett

Yeah but Fender really made some of them like that in the early 1960s.

5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Do you mean the late 60s Sparkling Burgundy guitars? These were sprayed in a similar way to candy apple red Fenders with a gold base coat and a cherry top coat - the cherry often fades under UV leaving the gold to show through. Lots of them today have gold coloured tops and burgundy back and sides. A really faded Burgundy is one of my favourite Gibson finishes.

6. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    As did Gibson, albeit in lesser numbers. There have been at least two factory black Les Paul guitars that were just finished Bursts that were oversprayed black.

When you look at the sides (and binding) on these guitars you can see the cherry stain bleeding.

7. David Barnett

No, cherry bleeding through a new color is a different effect, it's more splotchy. It's hard if not impossible to get rid of all the cherry stain when refinishing a red Gibson, and if there's any left it will leech through the overspray.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I hope they keep making guitars like these and sell enough to allow them to keep making the excellent sub-$1000 USA guitars they've been putting out.

pondcaster likes this.

9. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    I'd pay an extra thousand each for a repaired headstock and holes from a removed Bigsby.

They're just not being imaginative enough:lol:

robt57 and jd53 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.