Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

The 2017 Les Paul Standard "Painted-Over" Series

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CFFF, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Don't worry guys they still make cherry SGs, burst LPs, and 335s for a reason.

Most companies (not just guitar manufacturers, I didn't use that word by accident) make some BS to try and sell to schmucks, give me two minutes to find fender's latest atrocity. Oh wait, its the floyd rose equipped tele.

QED.

stnmtthw, MilwMark and noah330 like this.

2. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    I know Fender used to paint over other finishes but I don't think Gibson ever did that.

Not my cup of tea.

3. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I think it's kind of dumb but I have a friend who thinks they're cool so horses for courses.

Late last year I bought a CR4 in black, which I never thought I would do as I tend to go for traditional colors but I saw it and played it and liked it.

Gibson Custom & Historic makes some flat out killer guitars.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    They found a way to upcharge when they screw up a sunburst. Make it a "Painted over".

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    This is a total and unquestionalbe 'MEH' from my chair.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I balk at 3K for a Les Paul Custom.

6K for a 'Standard' with a roughed-up paint job is ludicrous.

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't think that's the reasoning. It's the same thing as the Fender Custom Shop selling custom colors with sunburst under the wear.

I bought a black CR-4 with a red neck and sides (one of a kind from Gibson CS). I just thought it looked cool. Sometimes people want different variations.

[​IMG]

Tacotuesday, Stratohacker and CFFF like this.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Hey now!! Stop using that logic stuff around here!

BuckSatan and Minimalist518 like this.

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Gibson painted over natural (burst) finishes but rarely. Most during the Norlin era. If you strip an early to mid 70s gold top you will find 3,4, and sometimes 5 piece tops with some pieces with flame maple.

I have seen a Gibson Super V painted all black. When you turn the guitar so the light reflects off of it at angle you can see the ripples of the flame maple wood transmit its shape to the surface because the paint is shrinking. You can also see a knot on the back by the lower binding also transmit through the paint which is why they probably painted the guitar. Crazy but a dark burst would would have covered it, but again, if they have an order for a black Super V well orders need to be filled.

11. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Gibson did paint over at least one Burst. There is a pretty well known factory 1960 Les Paul Standard that was factory painted black over the sunburst finish.

This LP was ordered by a guy who wanted a Custom but couldn't afford it. IIRC it cost about $350 to custom order this one.

IIRC Joe "Bonna" Massa tried to buy it.

My guess is Gibson is offering something that existed for people who like that sort of thing.

FMIC has offered snakehead Teles and the like for stupid money in the past. This is no different.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    stnmtthw, MilwMark and noah330 like this.

13. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Holic

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Now that the "Ringling and Barnum & Bailey Circus" has closed, Gibson has hired the laid-off "hawkers" into the Gibson Marketing department. You know, the famous "...there's one born every minute..." people.

cdwillis and hemingway like this.

14. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    The funny thing is reading the comments on Gibson's website.

15. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Lots of sour grapes there. If I dislike a company I don't bother to visit their website.

I'm not into the new BC Rich or Schecter guitars. I don't think I've ever visited either site.

Gibson makes some nice MIA guitars at all price levels and some amazing guitars that cost a lot (C&S).

For all the bellyaching they're the only large company that has kept their brand name exclusively on MIA instruments and also offers a large range of instruments at every price range. You can buy an American made Gibson from about $500 up.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Tacotuesday and PBO Blues like this.

16. slafore

slafore NEW MEMBER!

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    This almost looks like Gibson repainted a Charles Daughtry Goldfinger, the horn looks to have been stripped of the goldpaint underneath the black paint, and the case is the aged lifton case that came with Goldfinger??? Could it be? Could it be unsold leftover Collectors Choice ie: Goldfinger, Gabby etc., models that Dave's Guitar did not save to sell?

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...ainted-over-series-black-over-gold-serial-xxx

Flakey likes this.

17. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I thought that "people" were no longer running Gibson. I thought all the decisions are being made by a "person", Henry J?

18. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I'm pretty sure there will be limited interest. No wonder they're limiting production.

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    you knew it was coming didnt you?

Flakey likes this.

20. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    (New/relic/vintage/marketing debate and $6k aside...) from a purely aesthetic standpoint I kinda like it.

Shrug.

21. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    As marketing ideas go IMHO this one is laughable. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.