That's some catch that catch-22...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, May 23, 2019.

1. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Written beginning in 1953, published in 1961, resonates just as loudly today.
    Great writing.

getbent likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Still is.

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

But none in the Smithsonian. The one the wanted is being allowed to rust away.

4. Teleguy61

Word.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this is awesome. it is the guide to modern telecommunications.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  6. Teleguy61

@getbent I read Catch-22, oh probably close to 50 years ago, and I loved the book, but the scene in the plane with Yossarian and Snowden is etched, emblazoned, in my memory, and can still bring me to tears with its power.
    That's some damn fine writing mister.

getbent likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread is a fine example of teachers as being the unsung heroes of our society. They rarely get to learn about the powerful impacts that their instruction manifests over their student's lifetimes. I split my volunteer time with an Arts Council and a local up and coming visitor center, working with many active and retired teachers and professors. A delightful group that I have so much respect for. It was an English teacher that introduced, "Catch-22" to me that transformed my entire life and philosophy.

8. getbent

I used to have my kids act it out and then we'd change it to something in their world and it was powerful... it really is the horror of hubris in blood and guts. I will look forward to seeing how george clooney does the scene on the hulu show...

the first episode worried me... it was very 'stagey' (my wife asked if it had been a play) but the action scenes are very good and brutal and mcwatt scene was compelling... and the dialogue has settled in to a much better patter... I think he is trying very hard to do it well. I am very much looking forward to the snowden scene.

9. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I first read Catch 22 in high school - not as assigned reading - and was unaware of the subtexts and subtleties. It was a good story and, like many here, appealed to my sense of the absurd and the tragic. Plus it was a WWII book and based on Heller’s USAAF experiences. I kept a copy in my desk when I was in the USAF and read it when things got slow. I re-read the book every few years, and am now due. Thanks for bringing it up. And thanks for the discussion of Catch 22, and for the passion for it and other literature.

Jimmy Owen and getbent like this.
  10. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Read it once about five years ago and loved it. I should read it again.

getbent likes this.
  11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I think the book is dated material, no matter how important it was at the time. I don't think young people today view the world in a way that can make sense of the satire.

BUT--more importantly. Am I the only one surprised to find out that charlie chitlin is almost 30 years older than his wife?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Harry Styron and getbent like this.
  12. getbent

I first read it in 1974... it was published in 61, so 13 years after its release.

My other favorite books at the time Tortilla Flat (1935) 39 year difference and Huck Finn and Moby Dick (1884 and 1851) were considerably older stories than Catch 22 is for young people in 2019...

My kids and nieces and nephew read it (I did not pay them) but we had a really fun get together to talk about it... and they are 'young'

It is true, its time may have come and gone... and there are plenty of great books to read so, if it is, so be it.

I remember with my first quasi adult girlfriend (college) reading in bed with her and laughing hard out loud and having her insist (joan didion wasn't having that effect on anyone) that I read aloud and it made me laugh louder still....

She did turn me on to Saul Bellow, and she had amazing.... well, she was great...

Paul in Colorado and Jimmy Owen like this.
  13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would venture that it resonates more loudly today.

14. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Well, until today I didn’t know that Dante Rossetti is credited for dropping the word “yesteryear” into English.

I teach a Pre-Raphealite seminar every few years. You’d think I’d a noticed?

getbent likes this.
  15. P Thought

Dante spoke English?

Jimmy Owen and getbent like this.
  16. getbent

different dante than the inferno dude.

17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I think Catch 22 is still relevant.

For instance the scene when Milo contracts with the Germans to bomb his own airbase. (The contract included strafing!) What does that say about politics and business being bedfellows? And of course when Milo corners the market on Egyptian cotton he has a hard time getting rid of it so he tries to make his fellow soldiers eat it by covering it in chocolate. Milo is the archetypal businessman who puts profit above all else.

The more I read this thread the more I remember about this book.

Teleguy61 and getbent like this.
  18. P Thought

Oh, yeah. That was another thing I was too young for when I "studied" about them, 19th-century English poets.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Ok, this is really dumb, but I was young.
    My draft lotto number was low, enough so that it was a given that I would be drafted.
    All I knew about Army life was stories my uncles told of WW2, and I was understandably curious.
    I was talking to a friend about my curiosity and he said, let’s go see that new movie Catch-22, that should give us some idea.
    So we made plans to see it, and we did.
    I was actually relieved after seeing the movie thinking, well it doesn’t seem that bad, looks like fun.
    My uncles told stories about girls trading themselves for chocolate bars and silk stockings, and these guys were making their ow hooch, how bad could this be?
    I said this was dumb right up front, so if you wasted your time on my youthful stupidity it’s your own fault.

getbent likes this.
  20. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I first read Catch 22 around the same time, maybe 1975.

I was just thinking about it the other day. The line frequently spoken by Orr (I think it was Orr), “I’ve got flies in my eyes.”

Which, if memory serves, was a premonition of sorts, of his death, after which there were flies in his eyes.

That line sticks with me for some reason. Hopefully not as a harbinger or omen . . . .

My top 5 books:
    East of Eden
    Gulag Archipelago
    The Cider House Rules
    My Name is Asher Lev
    Lonesome Dove

Artslap and boredguy6060 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.