That's some catch that catch-22...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, May 23, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe my all time favorite book. I've read it probably 30 times. Did not like the 70's movie. Have begun the George Clooney HULU series. it is a little stagey, but pretty good. The guy who plays Yossarian is very good. that.. is all.

2. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Interesting book - I use it when I teach later 20th century US cultural and intellectual history. My students usually detest it though. I think they just don't quite get it. Then again, I'm pretty sure they detest every book I assign, come to think of it...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. getbent

I can't imagine detesting that book. It is like detesting chocolate or coffee.... My freshman year in college, I mistakenly ended up in a 300 level english class... the first night the prof asked each of us to name a book we loved but felt we weren't really old enough to understand... I replied, "Something Happened" and he told me I just got an A on the midterm. Bob Slocum... thanks!

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I tried reading Something Happened a few years ago. I guess I wasn't old enough either. I love Catch-22, though.

There's a story about Heller being asked if it bothered him, that he hadn't written another book as good as Catch-22. Heller replied, "Who has?"

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

yes, good book. the other I like of the era is "Little Big Man". good movie, better book.... read it if You haven't.... really worthwhile. also "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite books. It's hilarious.

I haven't seen any screen versions of it so far, but I hear the old version is available on Netflix now, so I plan on seeing it soon.

Treadplatedual and getbent like this.
  7. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I think college students hate having to read books they don't choose for themselves. Chinua Achebe's _Things Fall Apart_ comes to mind.
    I assigned _His Promised Land: The Autobiography of John P Parker, Former Slave and Conductor on the Underground Railroad_ for my US History to 1877 students. The title is nearly as long as the book (heh) which is riveting stuff. But if you're in History 101 because you HAVE to be, you've already half way decided not to like whatever gets assigned.

The book I read before I was truly able to understand it: _The Women's Room_ by Marilyn French.

I loved Catch-22, the book. May need to re-read it now.

Daniel (Irving Washington)

Flakey, getbent and Jimmy Owen like this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Catch-22 is among my favourite books. I've tried other works by Heller, and they've not caught me at all. Still, if you wrote Catch-22, you deserve to rest on your laurels. It was through Heller that I started reading Vonnegut, so that's two things to thank Joseph for.

Treadplatedual, getbent and P Thought like this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I met Joseph Heller a few times and interviewed him once. Lovely guy, wonderful writer.

I have met a few of my heroes. This one, unlike some, was not a disappointment.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

“Why are they going to disappear him?'
    I don't know.'
    It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar.”
    ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

hey! isn't he a member here under an alias?...:lol:

Jupiter, getbent and Jimmy Owen like this.
  11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

...it's the best there is.

My Dad brought that book home from Viet Nam and gave it to me. I loved it right away even though at 12 years old I didn't quite get it all. But the circular reasoning, the bureaucracy based notion of being caught in an unsolvable dilemma, that I got. I've worked in a hospital for 34 years and not a day goes by where I don't think of the patient described by Heller...the soldier in white, completely wrapped in bandages with a bottle of liquid draining into him and another bottle underneath him catching the liquid. Of course when one is full the other is empty and they are simply switched.

If there's a movie that screams for a remake it would be Catch 22. I would humbly suggest that the soundtrack include songs by Warren Zevon.

12. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

I used to read it every year (along with One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest). I am a fan, for sure.

I reckon I’ve been shaped by novels that thumb their noses at authority.

getbent likes this.
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I need to reread Catch 22, I'm sure theres parts my memory has allowed to escape.

But, @dmitri , if they'll detest in anyway, see if you can get away with Illuminati!!! Trilogy. Make them regret ever complaining about C22......

And I think alot of us were shaped in some way by novels (and other media) that handle authority in a certain way.

getbent likes this.
  14. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Three of my favorite books are Catch 22, Johnny Got His Gun, & Don't Stop The Carnival

P Thought, Jimmy Owen and getbent like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Man...now I have to read it again.
    My wife was born in 1990, so she missed a lot of this stuff.
    I've got her reading some Vonnegut and she loves it.
    I'm a bit stuck in that era...love Gunther Grass, too.
    A buddy gave me a copy of Sometimes a Great Notion (Kesey) TWENTY years ago, and I finally cracked it...I'm really liking it.

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, Life'll kill ya.

Teleguy61 and dmitri like this.
  17. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i never read catch-22. my sister, who was a high school english teacher, really got onto me for not reading it.. she says that book was made for kids like i was.. that i would have identified with the irreverence. i did start the series on hulu and have enjoyed it thus far.

18. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Hello everyone. I love re-reading Catch 22. So many quotable quotes! For me, the following is probably one of the most profound paragraphs in 20th century fiction:
    “The chaplain had mastered, in a moment of divine intuition, the handy technique of protective rationalization, and he was exhilarated by his discovery. It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

19. getbent

That is awesome. I have a pair of boots that I got in 88! and some jeans from 1990!
    sometimes a great notion is a GREAT BOOK! I have read it twice this year... I keep it at our cabin and just dive in and live the stamper life!

I'm kind of done with all my other logging books (got great recommendations here) and just finished the last Gary Snyder book.. I think Catch 22 will go to the cabin and pollute the extended family!

20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I read it.
    I liked it
    I'll give the Netflix version a look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.