Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

That's it; I want a piney!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Telemaestro, May 12, 2017.

1. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Just extra precaution. If there is any visible glue line, I want it to be hidden, and blend with the color of the carbon fiber.

And then I re-read your comment... I just used a couple drops of black leather dye. Haha

rz350 likes this.

2. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    I couldn't resist flushing up the carbon fiber rod just to get a look at how it's going to look! I think it's going to look pretty sweet. I'll be doing a 1" V carve on the neck. So that's probably my next step. I'm pretty excited to see it carved.

IMG_5500.JPG

I'm going to use these brass threaded inserts, but I'm going to wait to install them until I cut the neck joint, I don't know why, but I want to do it that way, I guess.

IMG_5501.JPG

Daniel94, Mat UK and rz350 like this.

3. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    Thanks, I'll remember that trick for epoxy! :)

4. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    So, tonight I made this slick little fixture for drilling my side dots on the CNC router, but, in a moment of sheer stupidity, I made it backwards!!! Which would be great if I were making a left handed guitar... live and learn, right? I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of blunders like this in building guitars anymore, so when I do, it's always humbling, and knocks me down a notch, which is always a good thing.

IMG_5546.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5548.JPG

Cheers!

-Austin

5. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Good news! I got my fixture modified this morning, and it works flawlessly. Drilled two different sizes side dots in 7 necks in about 10 minutes. The white dots are 5/64" and the black dots are 3/32" for some reason. Now I'm ready to drill my multiscale neck once I make a quick modification to the program.

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

That's all!

-Austin

Daniel94, Mat UK and adirondak5 like this.

6. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    I finally drilled the side dots in my neck today. I'm going to try to carve it tomorrow.

IMG_5668.JPG

I use acetone for installing plastic side dots.

IMG_5671.JPG

Just dip the end of the rod in the acetone for a few seconds.

IMG_5672.JPG

Push it into the drilled hole.

IMG_5673.JPG

Clip it off a bit above the surface.

IMG_5674.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

The dots will get flushed up when the neck is trimmed to its final profile size.

IMG_5677.JPG

A little progress at a time. She'll be done eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. I really miss playing guitar.

-Austin

thegaijin, Mat UK and awasson like this.

7. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    I built myself a new spraybooth for spraying waterbased finish here in my home shop. Now I can finally get around to finishing up my guitar!

IMG_6277.JPG

-Austin

8. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Can we have details on the spray booth? It looks great.

9. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    It's basically a doored cabinet with three box fans, two 4' LED lights, and it's lined with fiberglass reinforced plastic. The whole thing is on wheels, and rolls up into my doorway, I open a window on the other side of the shop for intake air.

IMG_6172.JPG IMG_6178.JPG
    IMG_6179.JPG
    IMG_6184.JPG
    IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6192.JPG IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG IMG_6237.JPG

richa, Mat UK and awasson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.