Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

That's it; I want a piney!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Telemaestro, May 12, 2017.

1. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Alright, so I got the body all cut out this evening in between a constant stream of miscellaneous interruptions. So... here goes nothing!

First step was to clean the face mill for flattening the spoil board on the bed of the machine. The adhesive in mdf does a number to gunking up the cutting edges of the face mill, so a nice little bath in some oven cleaner.

IMG_4978.JPG

Snapped this photo mid cut, I set it to take .03" because I wasn't sure how far out overall it would be, and I wasn't in the mood to break out a dial indicator to find out.

IMG_4979.JPG

Then I ran my tool path simulation for the back over and over making sure everything was exactly as it should be. I find the simulations to be extremely beneficial as it helps me fully visualize everything, and avoid stupid mistakes, at least in the machining phase. Once everything checked out, I was good to go.

IMG_4985.JPG

Since I'm only making one of these guitars right now, making a fixture would be kind of a waste of time, so I simply mark the outline of the body on the spoil board, and align the body blank over that.

IMG_4986.JPG

Double sided tape is my preferred fixturing method for one-off parts, and prototypes. I applied three strips to the front of the blank, since I will start machining on the back of the body.

IMG_4987.JPG

And stick the blank face down on the bed of the machine.

IMG_4988.JPG

I decided to use the face mill to do the final flattening/thicknessing. This will help to ensure my parts are milled very accurately in depth. I machined it to 1.77" thick while it is back up, and I will surface the front, and take it to final thickness when I get there.

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

I then went ahead and started on the 3D surfaces on the back of the guitar, that's the belly cut, and the contoured heel. I used a 1/2" ball mill to accomplish this.

IMG_4991.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4995.JPG

Following the 3D surfaces, I loaded up the 1/2" end mill, and machined the neck bolt ferrule recesses, the control cavity, control cavity cover plate recess, and a shallow, slightly oversized tracing of the body outline.

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

My little friend, the 1/8" end mill then came out to play. And he was kind enough to cut the string ferrule holes, and drill the neck bolt holes, and string through holes for me.

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

Call it the skeptic, or maybe it's the machinst in me, but I like to check my hole sizes. So I first checked the string ferrule holes with my small hole gauge. Mic'ing (it's a word, just trust me) over that showed that I was at .3128". My target was .3125" so I was within .0003" or 3/10000" or for those weird folks that like the metric system .0076mm of my target, which is more than good enough for wood.

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

Next I checked my neck bolt ferrule holes with a telescoping gauge. My target with .625" and I was getting approximately .6204" on all four holes, so I popped back on the PC and made an adjustment to the program before running the program over, and thus time I hit .6257" I'm thrilled to be within a thou of my target (won't be tomorrow...) so I moved forward.

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

I then took the body off of the machine, and cut nice and close to that outline I traced previously on the machine.

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

At this point I stuck some 1/8" pins in one neck bolt hole, and one string ferrule hole to serve as location pins, drilled a couple 1/8" holes in the spoil board corresponding to the location of those holes in the body, applied double sided tape to the back of the body, and attached the body to the table.

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

And back to the face mill to flatten the top and bring it to final thickness.

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

And checking the body thickness I get 1.754" which is perfect because the tape is .004" thick.

IMG_5022.JPG

I decided to start out the top side with the 1/2" end mill, which I used to trim the sides to final shape and size in two passes, as well as route the neck pocket, and pickup cavities.

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

Barncaster likes this.
  2. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Up next was out old fried the 1/8" end mill. This time he cut the control holes, and drilled the bridge mounting holes, the string through holes from the top, and the neck bolt holes from the top.

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

Nextly the little 1/16" end mill to drill the pickguard screw holes.

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

Finally the 1/2" ball mill again, this time for the arm cut.

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

I was pleased once I had the body off the machine to see that my holes from the top and bottom respectively for the string through and neck bolts aligned beautifully in the middle.

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

Here's a few shots of the rough cut body.

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

Round overs, sanding, and side jack hole to follow at a later date.

Cheers!

-Austin

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That's a beaut!

Telemaestro likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great. Love seeing the CNC in action.

Johnson johnson and Telemaestro like this.
  6. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Thanks, Jupiter! It feels good to be back building some guitars. It's been too long.

7. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Thanks! Yeah, I've spent the past few years really getting into using CNC routers and CAD/CAM, and applying them to guitar making. Some people think it takes the skill out, but I've built enough guitars without them, that I don't feel like I have anything to prove, and they require a skill set all their own.

Johnson johnson and Felino like this.
  8. gigs

gigs TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2012
    pittsburgh, pa
    really nice so far....

Telemaestro likes this.
  9. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Very nice work

Telemaestro likes this.
  10. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Fantastic! Really enjoy the CNC work.

Telemaestro likes this.
  11. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
  12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Awesome! Great to see you posting a build again..

Telemaestro likes this.
  13. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Thanks, Ricky! Feels good to be posting again! Hoping to get some more done tonight. My carbon fiber just showed up, and I'm back from out of town.

-Austin

14. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Alright, just a little update tonight. I foolishly forgot to check my pocket depths before I pulled the body off the machine, so after returning from being out of town I did a quick check of the neck pocket depth. The target was .625" to check the depth I grabbed a .100" gauge block, and my depth micrometers. I placed the gauge block in the bottom of the neck pocket, and used the depth mic to check the depth. I used the gauge block there in order to distribute any pressure from the rod of the depth mic so as to not compress the wood fibers, and get an inaccurate measurement. And I used a .100" because it's a nice round number to add to my measurement. As you can see, the depth mic reads just a hair under (this depth mic doesn't have 1/10000" marks) .5265" so I'm quite pleased with that especially considering the body has been sitting for almost a week.

IMG_5056.JPG

IMG_5057.JPG

IMG_5058.JPG

In other good news, my carbon fiber for my neck showed up. It's 48" long so I'll get enough for 2 or three necks depending on how long I decide to make the insert.

IMG_5063.JPG

That's all for now!

-Austin

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.