Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

That's it; I want a piney!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Telemaestro, May 12, 2017.

1. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    It's really gotten rather ridiculous... I've been playing guitar for 14 years, I've been working on them almost as long, and I've been building for 9 years, but I've gotten to a point where I literally don't own a guitar...

So, I'm going to build myself a guitar that is the culmination of everything I've learned that I like in a guitar from a players, and builders perspective. It's going to be a pretty simple guitar really, because I'm a pretty simple guy, but it's something that I think will suit me nicely.

Body will be one piece eastern white pine, and the neck will be one piece maple. The body shape is my take on a modified telecaster, but something that will be a little more comfortable, and ergonomic for me personally.

Here goes nothing.

Step 1 was to take a photo of the piece I have for the body blank, I actually bought this as a Windsor chair seat blank, and it's beautiful clear pine.

IMG_4937.JPG

I then went ahead and established a straight edge. My jointer is only 14" wide, so this blank is too large currently to surface.

IMG_4938.JPG IMG_4939.JPG

Found where I want the center of the body to be.

IMG_4940.JPG

And marked out, from my jointed edge, the extents of my desired blank.

IMG_4942.JPG

I set the fence on the band saw to cut off the first edge.

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

Set the fence and make the second cut.

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

Now the blank is sized appropriately to fit on my jointer.

IMG_4949.JPG

I only joint until I have a good reference bearing surface on the first side. Jointing takes longer than planing, and once that flat bearing surface is established, any further jointing is superfluous.

IMG_4950.JPG

Then put the MiniMax into transformer mode, and plane the other side until flat. Once the second side is flat, I can flip the part, and plane the first side until I reach my desired thickness.

IMG_4952.JPG

Here's the final piece, really lovely clear pine.

IMG_4953.JPG

That's step one for the body!

Cheers!

-Austin

mux164, Daniel94, Rustbucket and 7 others like this.

2. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Okay, so starting on the neck

I have quite a bit of curly maple, but I really wanted a non-figured piece, and I couldn't find any in my stash wide enough, as you can see in the photo below.

IMG_4957.JPG

Started out by resawing this piece, since I only need a hair over 1" in thickness for my blank.

IMG_4954.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

After resawing, I take it to the jointer.

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

And then to the planer to thickness.

IMG_4960.JPG

Now I need to address the width problem.

So I cut a bit off the end, and then cut that bit in half.

IMG_4961.JPG

Even though the headstock I'm using isn't exactly a Tele headstock, it's close enough to use this as a guide to position the "wings."

IMG_4962.JPG

After choosing the orientation, and position, I struck the cabinet makers triangles so I wouldn't lose my positioning.

IMG_4963.JPG

Applied a little glue, and got a nice amount of squeeze out along the length, so I'm happy with the seam.

IMG_4964.JPG

Applied some clamps, and I'll pick this up when the glue is cured.

IMG_4965.JPG

Step one of the neck is done. Someone stay on me about this. I've never successfully finished a guitar for myself... :-/

Cheers!

-Austin

mux164, Daniel94, Barncaster and 2 others like this.

3. gigs

gigs TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2012
    pittsburgh, pa
    I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years. Over that time, I've never found a tele that I like (gig with strat and les paul). Until 3 years ago, I decided to build a tele partscaster to my spec. One piece knotty pine body and one piece maple neck was the start. Lindy Fralin pickups.

I LOVE IT. Been my #1 guitar since then.

I like where you are going with this, hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing your finished tele.

[​IMG]

4. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Thanks so much. That's great to hear! Lovely guitar you have there!

-Austin

gigs likes this.

5. tedocaster

tedocaster TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Westwood, Ontario
    Looking forward to following the build. That pine board was an ideal chair seat blank (so clear!) but it's certainly not wasted in becoming a guitar body.:)

Have you built Windsor chairs?

6. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Well I'll just start nagging you for audio samples now...that way you'll have a goal to shoot for. :)

Looking forward to seeing how it unfold. I have a soft spot for pine.

7. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    I have not, but I will this year. I'm obsessed with windsors! I found a guy that sells these beautiful blanks.

-Austin

8. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Sounds good! Speaking of soft spots, I wonder how many dents I'll steam out of the pine before it's done...

-Austin

richa likes this.

9. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    It's been decided, by me, that this guitar needs to be a fanned fret (multiscale), but I don't want to be committed to that for life, so I've decided to make the bridge my parallel fret, if you will. That way I could swap this neck out, should I ever decide it necessary, for a standard 25.5" scale neck. The scales are basically 26" on the bass and 25.5" on the treble.

Firstly I measured the string spacing on a standard 1 11/16" nut.

IMG_4967.JPG

Here are the actual scale lengths along the string line. And I used this point and angle to lay out the scale lengths on each side before connecting the points from the bass to the treble side.

IMG_4968.JPG IMG_4970.JPG

Here is my 3D surface for machining the fretboard surface, and the headstock transition. I decided to go with a 12" fretboard radius, because I like it.... But I did decide to do something interesting in the model. I've drawn in relief into the fretboard from the nut to the 12th fret. The geometry is basically 0 at the nut, and 0 at the 12th fret, and then -.04" at the 5th fret. Then from the 12th fret to the end of the fretboard it goes from 0 at the 12th fret to -.02" at the end of the fretboard. I've done this sort of thing manually for a long time, but I've never tried machining it in. If I get it right this will allow room for the wedging action of frets in the middle of the neck without ending up in backbow, and give me fallaway on the upper frets. I think my numbers are close from past experiences, but I'm not totally certain, so if I make it, and I'm way off I'll just make another neck!

IMG_4971.JPG

To throw another wrench in the mix. I don't want a truss rod, cause I'm too lazy to adjust them on my own guitars, seriously. So I'm going to use a .2"x.75" piece of carbon fiber as a "skunk stripe."

If I'm losing anyone with this insanity, just let me know!

-Austin

lp special likes this.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I saw what you did there...

Rex

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I was going to say "get busy" but obviously no need.

But beware, pine casters are like Lays potato chips, make no mistake about that!

I'd probably have to go count how many I have in my music room to tell you how many in there are pine. More than other woods, some with drop tops on pine back also. Not to mention a few others player are using I cobbled.

My 12th I think, one piece jack pine which I personally cut the tree down.

Still in flux:

BlackGuard Esquire assemblyS25.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Route67, Newbcaster and Telemaestro like this.

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    My last batch of wide pine yielded some 21-22 in wide planks, I have a nice two pc. body cut and routed that is nearly quartersawn. That has been staring at me for years since I earmarked it for myself. One of these days.....

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I built a pinecaster last year from a CNC knotty pine body from Tonebomb and an assortment of parts. It was a roaring success and really inspired me to get my butt in gear to learn how to play it. I've got another clear body in progress and I think I'll build a pine Strat after I build the other pine one.

Great work by the way. That clear pine body blank is a beauty.

gigs likes this.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I was with you until you said "no truss rod"! :lol:

Man, I hope it works; I can't imagine not having that safety net...

Telemaestro likes this.

15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    wait.. is this a multi scale fretboard?

Telemaestro likes this.

16. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Oh no! I sure hope I don't catch the addiction! Beautiful guitar you have there.

-Austin

robt57 likes this.

17. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Can't wait to see it when you do finish!

-Austin

18. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    It seems like everyone that has one loves them, I built a Sitka spruce bodied Tele for a friend, and I honestly can't recall it being particularly memorable, so I hope this one is. Either way, I'm not that picky, so I'll play it! Haha

I wanted a clear pine body without spending a bunch of money, or having to buy a large board of it, so the seat blank is working perfectly.

-Austin

awasson likes this.

19. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    This won't be the first guitar I've made without a truss rod, so I'm not too worried, I have an idea in mind for reinforcement, so it won't be left completely on it's own to flounder.

-Austin

20. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2013
    Hartville, Ohio
    Okay last CAD post before I make some wood chips later today. I've finalized the body shape, and the pickguard design (it's borrowed from some guitars I made a few years ago). It will also have body mounted controls with a rear access cavity, instead of a top route, and a control plate. I'm going to cut a wire channel in the top for the neck pickup, which will intersect with the control cavity. The neck pocket/joint will also be a little different from a fender.

IMG_4973.JPG

It will have a belly cut.

IMG_4974.JPG

An arm cut.

IMG_4975.JPG

And a contoured heel.

IMG_4976.JPG

The contoured heel meant that I needed to stagger the depths of my neck bolt ferrule recesses, and you can see that here.

IMG_4977.JPG

I have a client meeting with my wife for our business in a bit, and I need to empty my dust extractor, but I want to get the body machined this evening. I'll be out of town for work most of next week, so I'm itching to get a jump on it!

Cheers!

-Austin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.