Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

That guitar sound on Tom Waits' song Heart Attack and Vine

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by grange45, Jun 10, 2013.

1. grange45

grange45 Tele-Meister

I have heard many different ideas of where he got that distortion on that song (ie. Fender Champ, fuzz pedal, Ampeg amp, etc.). I love that dirt sound. What's your take on the best way to get it?

2. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

small tube amp-maybe a tweed champ, lots of fuzz, and to my ears , it sounds like a cocked wah.

3. CarterK

CarterK Tele-Meister

Lots of fuzz and play with your thumb, no pick.

I can get close that way.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. grange45

grange45 Tele-Meister

Interesting about the cocked wah. The fuzz is also interesting. Every time i hear a review of a fuzz pedal they seem overly "fuzzy" with alot of tone loss which doesnt sound like waits. Maybe im listening to the wrong pedal review.

6. jeb stuart

jeb stuart Tele-Holic

i get it great playing seth lover humbuckers through a 65 supro valco dimed. (though my drri natural drive works also) key is..... open g tuning.

7. grange45

grange45 Tele-Meister

After experimenting with many od and fuzz pedals at my local guitar store, i was blown away by the electro harmonix germanium muff pedal. there are many dirty sounding vriations you can get with that pedal. The voltage knob really gets you some interesting sounds, especially with the od and distortion combined. I can't wait to try it with a tube amp and crank the sucker up!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.