Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

That "Great" Band You Can't Get Into

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DexterTK, Mar 14, 2012.

1. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2010
    Central Connecticut
    The Who. Can't ****ing stand them.

2. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Somewhere, a puppy just died. :(

3. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Musicians knocking fellow musicians.

Or perhaps those knocking them aren't....... never mind.

4. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Springsteen. We still enjoy seeing Southside Johnny though.

5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Such is the nature of opinion forums.

I'm just some dope who plays for fun. A few years ago at a block party we each got up and played and sang a few tunes. It was well received. I remember that after my bit a neighbor offered his critique. I can't even remember what it was. I do remember that my brother, a forty year professional musician who does not hold a day job, simply said, "You're out there now. Get used to it."

6. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2010
    Chicago
    So yeah. Everybody's got bands they like and bands they don't. Here are the ones I don't, that lots of people seem to think are fantastic. With the requisite snarky commentary.

The Doors – wimpiest of the 60s "blues" bands, a proto-jam band fronted by a drunk who thought he was Yeats but was basically a Hallmark-card-level poet.

The Band – mined a vein of "Americana" folk-rock that should really have been left in the ground. Awful lyrics. In the same way that Velvet Underground gets credit for dozens of bands starting in response to their records, The Band deserves blame for much of modern folk-rock.

The Grateful Dead – 4-hour stoned jams are generally pretty tedious when they're in your garage. When they're in stadiums for 35 years? Unforgivable.

The Smiths – Not Johnny Marr; he's a pretty solid player. But Morrissey needs to do something about that horrid noise that comes out of his face and the stupid words that noise forms.

Springsteen – Solid stuff, but it never resonated with me. Not snarky, just honest.

Phish –*See the Grateful Dead above.

RHCP –tuneless vocals, square grooves, weak guitar tones. Just awful.

Moody Blues – pretentious 60s psychedelic music in a way that put most pretentious 60s psychedelic bands to shame.

Dave Matthews Band – Hey, smooth jazz for frat guys!

7. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2012
    Toronto
    RHCP - Oh, my, big agree there. Probably the most embarassingly bad lyrics on a regular basis from any band and Kiedis' voice is weak and nasally. I actually like the rest of the band in terms of ability, but the funk delivery is so sophmoric, it's irritating.

8. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    there are some bands that i never get/got either, but i also know (and this would be an interesting next thread) that there are some bands that i finally DID get. i grew up in italy during the 70's, so i had no idea what real music was (it was all saccharine sweet love songs) and when i got to the US i *liked* journey. and i *hated* bruce springsteen. i finally got exposed to real rock and roll, and punk, and new wave, and ... i guess the moral of the story is that there are many stories out there and you can get so much from most of them. and you can change.

but i still never got Black Sabbath ;-)

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    If the tree of rock n roll is down to the trunk and a couple of big branches left, the only ones I know for sure that will be up there are Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Buddy Holly and AC/DC.

I know that some of y'all that slag Angus are Bonamassa fans which in its own wheedly-deedly way is sad...

10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    14 pages and no one's mentioned David Bowie yet? Huh.

11. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Even though I like a song or two, I've never been able to get into Springsteen. I've watched him in concert and appreciate that he gives a lot to his audience but just am not into the music.

Bands that took a long time for me to like were the Beatles, Steely Dan and Dire Straits. I also didn't care for Billy Joel until I saw him in concert. Not crazy about him but have respect for his music and show.

12. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Any of the '80s hair bands

13. StuR

StuR Banned

Jun 19, 2013
    NW England, UK
    ^this - especially Sabbath; living off their rep since 1970.

^ but this especially, their hype machine deserves the bronze commemorative statue, not them.

14. StuR

StuR Banned

Jun 19, 2013
    NW England, UK
    This should be carved in stone somewhere!

OK - for my own contribution to the OP.
    How about Gary Moore; summarised by a sig I saw on a forum someplace.......
    "Oh, you're one of those white guys who pulls a face like he's taking a dump before he's struck a note!"

15. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    I thought the title of this post was "Great Bands You Can't Get Into."
    Then I read someone had listed Kid Rock. Is Kid Rock a band...is there more than one of him??
    Please say it ain't so. It would scare me to death if I thought there were Kid Rocks running around loose everywhere trying to be country...aaagh! :eek:

16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    -1 and +1 :lol: I love Morrissey's vocals, very unique. And I dig so much of the Smiths catalog.

I respect the heck out of the Boss, but as you put it, just doesn't really resonate with me.

17. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    That's exactly how I felt. I really did not like him all that much, but after I saw his HBO concert a few years back, I had some new found appreciation for him.

18. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i'm probably the only person in the whole world in my age group to say this: i never have cared much for ZZ Top. don't know why.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.