Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

That "Great" Band You Can't Get Into

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DexterTK, Mar 14, 2012.

1. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2012
    Toronto
    Yeah, I have a few of these, keeping in mind that the "great" part is all relative.

The one that comes to mind first is Queens of the Stone Age. Aside from the epic Avon, I cannot seem to find a sweet spot for their music. Josh Homme is a pretty good guitar player and certainly writes some interesting songs, but I usually find the cadence and delivery off-kilter and unappealing.

The Grateful Dead: I always found their songwriting sloppy, their grooves a strange amalgam of psych rock and country that usually didn't mesh well. I think they are all fine musicians, but I generally dislike "jam" bands (never, ever got into Phish, for example). It's bothersome when a group takes a 5 minutes song and stretches it into a 20 minute rambling wreck.

2. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Nov 19, 2004
    So. Illinois
    The Flaming Lips and Radiohead come to mind.

3. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2006
    Leafs Nation
    Before I opened this thread I read the title and thought "The Doors - except for Riders on the Storm".

Funny that.

4. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2007
    morgantown wv
    +1 I Like Gilmour but not their songs.

5. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

May 18, 2013
    NC
    Off the top of my head...

Allmans - just too country for me, never cared for their sound at all
    Springsteen - seems like a cool guy, but I find his songs to be pretty boring
    Clapton - I like some Cream, but I can't think of anything remarkable from him after that (and I definitely hate Layla)
    John Mayer - ewwwwwww, too cheesy
    Van Halen - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheesy
    Aerosmith - never cared for most of their stuff
    Rush - technically a very skilled band, but I just don't like the songs or the voice
    Radiohead - I think Idioteque is their most interesting song, but most of their other stuff bores me to death
    The Who - their earlier stuff is ok I guess, but after that I lose interest
    The Eagles - too plain jane for me, although some of Henley's stuff is somewhat tolerable
    Skynyrd - goes without saying
    Fleetwood Mac - I actually don't mind a few of Christine's songs, but I don't care at all for any of their other stuff
    AC/DC - they are good at what they do... straight-up, beer-drinkin', butt-kicking hard rock, but I guess their music is just not diverse enough to interest me

6. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

May 11, 2013
    Herefordshire UK
    I never "got" The Clash.

7. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Bridgeport,NY
    U-2, Springstein w/E-Street band and Nurvana!

8. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Bridgeport,NY
    I see the Beatles on here alot. I liked them as a group, BUT, could not stand any of them as soloists. Any Hip Hop (especially Kid Rock in any form), Most Metal and almost all of the new pop/rock music.

9. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2009
    north alabama
    The stones,kiss,U2 ,Roy buchanan

10. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Aug 1, 2012
    TOC,NM

11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey

12. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    My wife has said, for many years, that Springsteen looks and sounds Constipated!

13. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska
    Grateful Dead
    Allman Bros.
    Jefferson Airplane

All three are bands I don't care about.

14. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Absolutely it's one band for me... the Stones. I just plain never got the big kick for them, despite that it's obviously not THEM, it's ME, based on their immense popularity and longevity, which I HAVE to give them credit for. Just never liked their music. The guys I play with love them though, and we do cover a few of their tunes.

15. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Im opposite, i really enjoyed John Lennons "imagine" album, like a lot of mccarntney songs and like some george stuff too. Hate the Beatles, OK like a few songs.

Rush - Canadian Band, like a couple songs because of the songs themselves, cant stand the singing
    Clapton - I had a teacher in high school that told me Id come around, has yet to happen. I really dont get what all the hype is about.
    U2-enough with the delay
    Nirvana-shut up
    ACDC-every song sounds the same

16. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

That's complete rubbish. Their albums do, and many of us love them for it.

Angus can see the humour: "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. We've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

17. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    This is why we have opinions, and Im not the first person to not "be into" acka-dacka

18. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Heh, that's exactly what I love about QOTSA. I suspect most people, like yourself, find it unappealing. It's probably why they've never really enjoyed major commercial success beyond one or two radio hits. They're not for everybody, that's for sure. I love "off-kilter". :D

19. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Big +1

20. sananteleo

sananteleo TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2009
    San Antonio
    The world's most unmusical band: Depeche Mode. Absolute crap. 2nd most unmusical, but with better technique: Rush

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.