Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

That "Great" Band You Can't Get Into

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DexterTK, Mar 14, 2012.

1. DexterTK

DexterTK TDPRI Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Overland Park
    I wanted to see what "great" band you guys just cannot get into. My biggest one is ACDC. I'm sorry I just really really do not like them. People think I am nuts. Perhaps I am looking too much into it but I just don't see the appeal.

2. The Quasar-Kid

The Quasar-Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2011
    Seattle
    I never understood how anybody could listen to more than 2 minutes of "Journey"

3. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    AC/DC is a good one. For me probably Led Zep and Sabbath... yikes! I have a few others but I'm apprehensive about posting, haha! Can only take the above in small doses and just don't have the same reverence for them as most, especially among guitar players... kinda feel like I'm not part of the "club" sometimes.

Sorry I couldn't limit it to just one. Oh, and Who besides U2 are in a Rush to post? Not to Kiss ass, but great topic, wish I would have Beatle you to it.

Whew, feels kinda good to finally let this out.

4. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    Yep, they do.

5. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

If you've listened to anything of theirs post 1981, then I'm inclined to agree with you. Otherwise, yes, you're nuts.

For me, Coldplay. 1 great album, 4 coffee table coasters.

KISS - the Paris Hilton of Rock music. All tasteless, tacky 'style' and zero substance. Shamelessly cashing in on an image of their own making.

6. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Some people would call Red Hot Chili Peppers great -- I don't. Previous post from Drubbing above reminded me -- Coldplay, too. Agree on Kiss as well.

7. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Led Zep and Pink Floyd. Never caught my ear.

8. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    The Doors

the exception is the song "Riders On the Storm"...i do like that one song from their catalog

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Nickelback.

Sorry.

10. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2006
    California
    The Beatles. I'm not kidding. You can start throwing the tomatoes now.

11. therooster

therooster TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    London

12. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2012
    UK
    Nobody I know who really cares about music has anything but vitriol for the likes of Coldplay or U2, but I often get mystified by really knowledgable people raving to me about the Foo Fighters. If I'd never heard the Who, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden or even Nirvana I suppose I might think they were quite good; as it is, all I hear from the Foos is recycled ideas that have been done so much better already.

13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I think that says more about the crowd you hang with than the bands in question.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Coldplay, but I understand why people like them. I don't really get the big deal about the Foos, either. None of their songs have impressed me.

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

I love all sorts of music and have nothing but big love for U2 and the Foo's. We could get into a discussion about recycled ideas, but that would only lead back to the fact there are only so many chords, and everyone's done 'em. And stolen a lot. There are no original stories left, just re-tellings. At least a couple of Cobain's biggest songs were blatantly lifted from others music; notably, Killing Joke's 80s (Come as you are). Led Zep, while amping everything to 11, stole heaps of stuff from lesser known blues dudes on I and II.

As a budding guitar player, there's nothing hookier than a simple, chunky Foo's riff. Grohl writes great lyrics too. He makes no secret of his LZ influences, and that to some degree, is why they are as popular as they are.

U2 get a lot of stick because Bono can be a pious PITA, and Edge gets accused of playing too simple and FX'ing his sound up, but genius lies in simplicity IMO. He creates their sig sound and it's produced stuff that I think will be as much revered as 60s artists are today.

I'll also give both of them props for still being relevant long after they started. The Stones had 15 big years, til 1980 - before they gave up and just rolled themselves out for one greatest hits extravaganza after another.

U2 have been going for nearly 30 years, and still put out big albums, and make a huge effort with staging tours, which aren't about how much you can charge for a ticket. The Foos latest album is one of their very best too IMHO.

15. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    michigan
    I hate to add more of the same but...U2, The Doors, and Kiss. Soul-less mechanical bands. :confused::confused:

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Pink Floyd, though I have a great deal of admiration
    for David Gilmour.
    Some years ago he donated a very large sum of
    money to open/build a homeless shelter, in London (I think).
    A rich rock star with a heart.
    Good on him!

17. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2011
    U2 is freaking terrible. Let me play a couple of basic chords through 18 delay pedals & maybe someone will think I'm talented. Oh & I'll give myself a cool made up name like, lessee, ummm, the Edge, yeah that sounds great.
    Really? Seriously? I've seen sharper edges on butter knives.

18. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    AC/DC
    Zeppelin
    Aerosmith

All garbage in my eyes/ears

19. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Guns N Roses. Never thought they were good. Never will.
    Van Halen

20. livepulse

livepulse Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2008
    Netherlands
    I've never understood The Grateful Dead... i've tried really, but i just can't get "into" them... same for Led Zep, never cared for them...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.