Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

That damm celestion seventy 80

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gary Mitchell, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    A few months back my wife bless her heart as most know, saved and for my birthday bought me a Rivera Clubster Royale 112. It came loaded with the 70/80 speaker, and I did not like it as I don't most new speakers. Then I got on the net and read pro's and con's. My head was spinning from the things I read online. In my Metal days I was a EV12L guy, most other music Celestion vintage 30. I never ever gave the speaker that came with the amp a chance. Because he said the he said and they said that this would be this and that and please shoot the damm cat because it squeals . can you see where I am going I am going crazy. Anyway I am not playing guitar right now, I have been playing bass a lot lately. So I thought what the heck, I will give this speaker a chance, I have about 25 to 30 hrs if I am lucky on the amp now, I am recording it and writing down settings I said to myself I am going to break this puppy in just to see. Paul Rivera put in there for a reason, I hope not because of the price, I have seen other Eminence speakers in that ballpark. Anyway in my Clubster after 25 t0 30 hrs the highs are getting more controllable, low in is getting a lot better and you can hear each note and string on the guitar very clear. As far as Blues I am the process of building another strat and getting a Fender JA90 tele. So all I have now is my Heritage LP loaded with Dimarzio 36th anniversarys. It gets the Gary Moore thing down real well with this speaker. I also have a couple of other guitar buddies involved, who were shying from this speaker. They are changing their mind for what its worth. I want to put a 100 hrs on this puppy and I have been banging the thing. I want to be fair about it. It has always been great on the clean side of my Clubster. We are going for a 4 day trip the middle of this month. So I am taking it out and hooking it up to my stereo turning on the radio and letting it play why I am gone. But in my opinion this speaker given a chance may surprise you, given a chance to break in. I have a V30 I could use, but I am tired of that sound. And I am not one to look some one up and buy rig like theirs. I rather be a creator then a imitater, but that's me. I want my own sound. At high gain it rocks at clean it rocks, Blues the more it breaks in the better it sounds, we will see. When I find a computer instead of 1909 henway Lab Top I will try to post the recording's. if you have lots of hours on this speaker let us know and what amp it is in, and the music you play on it.

2. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I used a Seventy/80, that came in a Vox AD50VT, for about 10 years. I used it in several different amps, Vox AD50VT, Peavey Studio Pro and Kustom '36 Coupe, and was always pretty happy with it. It's very balanced and neutral sounding, making it one of the best speakers you could use in a modeling amp. I use a Zoom MFX pedal, with six band EQ most the time. There are better speakers for a certain sound. But, when you need a variety of sounds out of an amp, the Seventy/80 does very well.

3. Gary Mitchell

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    Can I have the murder weapon. I will thank you so will my sister and her sister.

4. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Lack of Paragraphs make me dizzy :rolleyes:

optofonik likes this.

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I'm too damn old to wait around, sold one and replaced it with an Eminence Legend GB128 which is a greenback clone without early breakup.

Huge improvement - that 70/80 is not what I would call a "musical" speaker - seems to have an unpleasant sound everywhere it appears...was happy to unload it for $50 to a metal player who loves that harsh sound.

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Pulled one out of an Ampeg I own. Couldn't get it out of there fast enough. There's a reason they are half the price of a V30 and one of the cheapest speakers that Celestion sells. If anyone wants one, I've got one I want to get rid of.

7. Gary Mitchell

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    I am going to put a 100 hrs on it first, if I do not like it after that its will be change.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I can't get Vintage 30's out of an amp fast enough. I tend to use Eminence and Jensen speakers. Does anyone want to buy a Celestion G12-65?

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I too am anti Seventy 80. Give me a Vintage 30 or G12M and I'm a happy boy. I have read that its the most used stock speaker made. But I think that is more because its cheap and the amp manufacturer can say it comes with a Celestion. To put 30 hours let alone 100 on any one amp to break in a speaker could take me years. 95% of my amp playing is through headphones so I need a good sounding speaker out of the box.

10. vanr

vanr Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2003
    AZ
    I used a pair of 70/80's for years and they never sounded good. Got rid of them and got a pair of Vintage 30's and voila. Tone.

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah, paragraphs would be nice.

Hang in there with your break in test.
    Please report back.
    I pulled a 70/80 out in favour of a CRex, no turning back.

12. Gary Mitchell

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    If I change speakers it will be a CRex or a WGS Retro 30, I am leaning toward the Retro 30 its a 75 watt speaker.

13. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    OK, I'll play straight man. What's a Henway?

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    this is a pretty good policy on everything related to musical equipment. 100 hours might be a little extreme... but so is the amount of money people waste swapping parts before they give the originals a chance to impress them.

that being said, im not a fan of the 70/80 at all. but if the amp is good enough... it'll work

15. vanr

vanr Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2003
    AZ
    About 4 pounds.

16. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Boom-Tish!! :lol:

17. Gary Mitchell

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    All my friends tell me I never give anything a chance, so I thought I would go way out of my way. I am retired so nothing else really to do, and that way I can say yes I did. But I can tell a different in sound it is sounding better then it was. Rather it hits the mark for me, I don't know yet. I used two Eminence Delta Pro 12a's in a Fender Twin once, guys told me I was crazy. After I did it everyone just loved it ended up making some good money from it. Sold to a guy who plays in St. Louis Mo. Man I need to go to bed as you can see, I need to go to bed. was up late last night. You guys don't care about Delta Pro 12a's Good Night guys

18. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Washington
    Yeah, the 70/80 is definitely a modeling amp speaker. It's designed to just play the sounds that are fed to it, exactly as they are, no coloration. Oddly enough it would probably make a really good home stereo speaker since flat response is all the rage for HiFi.

19. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i like this speaker. i guess because its a clean pallet to paint on.
    hides in the corner.
    chris.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.