Texas Members Club

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by TDPRI, Feb 28, 2013.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Seeing how I live in Texas I figured I'd start off what's sure to be one of the largest member clubs -- The Texas Members Club.

I'm in the Hill Country, between Austin and San Antonio, but closer to San Antonio.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Grew up in Houston. Moved to the Austin area in 1988. Have since lived in Austin, Manor, Round Rock, and now Georgetown.

Scott

3. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

I live in Frisco. DFW area, borders Plano, right outside of Dallas. Texas is by far the best state.

4. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Born in Denton - 1953. Raised in Wink. Graduated from Monahans High School. Got my B.S. from Sul Ross State in Alpine. Lived in Terlingua for a long time. Currently teaching school in Houston for Cy-Fair. Glad to be a member.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

About ten years ago I unsuccessfully applied for a job with TPWD to do ungulate research and census work based out of Alpine. Man, I still wish I'd landed that job. I don't see how you were able to leave that place.

6. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

I live in northwest Austin. Beautiful Texas weather lately. Grew up in Iowa. Have also lived for a bit in Dallas.

7. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Simple, D-I-V-O-R-C-E. She got the gold mine and I got the shaft. I could of stayed and made it work but chose to go out in the "real" world.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmm...We have a Texas Telecaster Club over in the Guitar Owners section, so there may be some redundancy here, but I'm in.

My family's been in Texas for around 113 years (my great-grandfather came to Texas from Mississippi just before the turn of the 20th century). I was also born in '53, Vortexan, in Mathis. I've also lived in Saginaw (Texas, of course), Thorp Spring, Quinlan, Three Rivers, and Corpus Christi.

I lived in Mathis for 6 years as a child, in Three Rivers for about two years, and in Corpus for a total of 37 years (and counting). So 45 of my 59+ years of life has been spent living in South Texas.

Married a Texas girl (born in Nacogdoches), my high school sweetheart, 40 years ago come April.

Yessir, every day I thank the good Lord above that I'm alive and in Texas. ;)

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Born in west Texas in 1951 in the county of Dawson.
    30 years living in Fort Worth.
    Except for 2 years in the army I've never lived anywhere else and never want to.

10 Guitars (6 teles)
    8 amps (4 vintage Fenders and 2 Vintage style clones I built)

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Man, when I was listing where in Texas I've lived, I forgot Lubbock! How'd I forget to mention where I lived for 3 years, where 2 of my 3 children were born?

telex76, you made me remember Lubbock with your reference to west Texas/Dawson County. So I was up in your general neck of the woods (or just north of ya) from 1973-1976.

And I didn't know we were also listing our gear. So far, I have 10 guitars as well (5 acoustics, 4 Teles and an Ibanez RX-170), a variety of Peavey amps, 3 Vox Pathfinder 15Rs and a Crate TX50 for acoustic/electrics.

11. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Aw, Paul, why'd ya have to go and do this right now, when it's comin' up on bluebonnet time?!

When I registered here at TDPRI, the "Location" form field didn't give me enough room to type "Naturalized Texan, now resident alien in Baltimore County, Maryland." All that would fit is what you see there: Homesick Texan in Maryland.

I did not have the good fortune to be born in Texas, but I got there as quickly as I could, which was a couple weeks after graduating from high school.

In early 1964, this guy had a sit-down solo gig every Saturday night at a little joint in Houston called the Bird Lounge. Cover charge was a dollar, beer was 35 cents, and the management didn't seem particularly concerned whether I was of legal age, which I was not. So I caught his last set many, many Saturday nights after I finished my work at midnight. This clip allegedly is from the same year.

I heard this Guy many times, in coffee houses, bars, and private homes, long before he ever recorded.

I had the great good fortune to hook up with this guy, who taught me this tune and a great deal more.

All these guys seemed to be having so much fun, I had to try it myself. For fifteen years I gigged in and around Houston. And in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Victoria, Orange, Laredo, Wichita Falls, Dayton, Liberty, Shepherd, Onalaska, and a fair few places outside Texas, from Atlanta to Los Angeles to San Francisco to Boston.

I'm not in Texas now because I encountered a Force Of Nature, AKA Ms. Right, who is anchored here by aged and deeply rooted parents. But she spent enough time in Texas with me to become a naturalized Texan her ownself. And both of us take great comfort in the certain knowledge that, even though we can't be there right now, Texas Wants Us Anyway.

I miss Texas in the summer, when it's hot enough here to remind me of home.

I miss Texas in the autumn, when I see the geese in chevron flight, flapping and racing on before the snow.

I desperately miss Texas in the winter, for reasons too obvious to state.

But I miss it most of all at bluebonnet time.

Pisgah likes this.
  12. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a 4th generation native Texan, I was born in Houston, I have lived in Houston all my life, I graduated from the University of Houston (go Coogs!).

I currently reside in Jersey Village which is a suburb in NW Houston. Bring your tele over and lets jam!

My chosen Big_Bend name here is because I enjoy visiting Big Bend National Park, which is 600 miles from me in West Texas. I've visited this park well over 30 times. My ashes will be scattered there someday too. Go West to see the best part of Texas.

13. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

Born in San Antonio and live there 3 months out of the year now. The other 9 I'm in Ft Worth going to school. It's cool that they have this club now.

Gear wise: My main is a MIM Hss Strat ( I know... I know...) an Epi LP Jr, Ibanez Gax30, and Sx Tele.
    Squier J bass

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Came to Texas in 1965 as part of the USAF. Spent some time at Dyess AFB in Abilene. Lived in New Orleans for a while to finish school, then came back Texas in 1971. Been here ever since. Married a Texas girl from Wharton. We live in the S.W. part of town, near Bellaire.

15. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

Born in CA, but Texas raised. Family has been in central Texas since they came over from the old country in the 1870s. Farm boy in Taylor, then went to Austin for university; got married and ended up in Corpus Christi in '72. (Women do seem to be able to move us men around . . :) Been here ever since.
    Guitars: 3 acoustic only; 3 acoustic-electric; 4 electric only, plus two e basses. Favorite electric is the blackout Tele; favorite acoustic is the Martin. However, I just went through the herd, and I like em all. (Makes it tough when GAS appears!)

16. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Born and raised in Austin. 44 years later, I'm still here. Never left.

17. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Happy independence day fellow Texans

18. gtrpkr

gtrpkr TDPRI Member

Howdy fellow Texans!
    Lived in Austin, Wichita Falls(twice), Lubbock and San Antonio, as well as many other places from coast to coast.

19. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

Army brat born in Temple. Spent time in Alabama, Georgia, and Germany, then back to Temple. Germany again, then return to Georgia before moving back to Texas for good. Lived in Hurst (Ft Worth suburb), then Frisco (before it boomed) and last in Denton.

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Born and raised the greater Alice Metro. I've been living and playing music in Corpus Christi since 1982.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.