Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tex-Mex Tele pickups...are they worthy?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tele_paul, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Own a Nashville Tele with Tex Mex pickups. I like the tone overall, but this is the only Tele I've ever owned, have nothing to compare them to. Are these pickups worthy and capable of delivering classic Tele tones?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

3. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

In your opinion, should they be modded with a baseplate, for example, or left stock?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. IRG2

IRG2 TDPRI Member

I just got a Road Worn Player Tele that has a Tex Mex in the bridge, and a SD '59 humbucker in the neck. I thought initially I was going to pull out the TexMex, but I'm starting to like it. It actually mixes pretty well with the humbucker. On it's own, I wouldn't mind a bit more output with it, maybe a bit more bottom end if that's possible. Overall though I think it's pretty good, and seems pretty indicative of that Tele sound, but I'm no expert. I use Teles for stuff that's less than traditional, more hard rock, ambient, doom, but blues too. No country or pop.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

That's the description of adding a base plate, check out the article on this website about it.

7. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

If I were to boost the low and cut some upper-mid frequencies with an EQ pedal would that give the same effect as having a baseplate?

8. IRG2

IRG2 TDPRI Member

Would you happen to have the link handy? Did a quick search, not sure what I'm looking for exactly.

9. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

10. waparker4

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

I would put affixing a Mojotone base plate at twice the level of difficulty, of clearing the body holes to the neck pocket.

I like the sound with the base plate. Adds bottom, played clean. Could have downsides if played very high gain; that's the only negative other than the task of buying and adding the plate.

12. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm very paranoid and not very confident when it comes to performing work on my guitars, which is why I ask these questions lol. I'd love it if someone would say that I could achieve the same effect with an EQ pedal but that's just wishful thinking I suppose. :mrgreen:

Maybe someday I'll try the baseplate mod and drilling out the body holes after I practice on a friend's guitar first. :twisted:

13. waparker4

Well for starters if the bass and volume of your amp aren't already at max, bumping them up a bit couldnt hurt. :?:

An EQ pedal could help you dial in exactly that tone too.

Edit well for starters put the bass side of the bridge pickup higher

14. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Maybe I'll try raising the bass side as well as a few EQ tweaks. I hesitate to adjust the pickups height because now it's got a really good quack sound in the neck/bridge position, but I can play around with it I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

15. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I don't know what's in the middle of your Nashville, but in a regular Tele I found the Tex Mex bridge pickup a little too raspy and strident. I loved the neck pickup.

16. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

I've got a Road Worn tele with Tex Mex pickups and despite have a number (oh, five or six) teles, some of which have had 5 sets of pickups in them, am completely happy with the Tex Mex pickups in all three switch positions. They stay, and that's saying a lot for me. I've gotten numerous tone compliments playing the guitar out.

George

17. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Yo, George! ;)

Does your Road Worn have a baseplate on the bridge pup?

18. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

You know, I've never take it apart to look. I assumed that it did, but on a quick image search on Yahoo, realize it may not. I don't think that a baseplate makes for a major change in what I hear.

For instance, I have a Duncan Hot Tele and a Rio Muy Grande in two of my teles, no baseplates, and they are staying... I also have teles with a Duncan B'caster, a Fender '62 RI (assume that's what is in my Muddy Waters tele--left stock--never looked), and a Fender Nocaster pair (which I recently installed in one guitar and which do have a plate).

Although I have a lot of teles in which I have played the "changing pickup game", I have kind of lost interest in this, and if a guitar sounds great, I tend to leave it as is and work on my playing.

George

19. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Good point there about focusing on playing. I often fuss about the details of my gear and contemplate stuff like baseplates, probably way too much. I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I do that much more often than I actually practice guitar lol. Thanks for the feedback!

20. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

In my world I need to futz with my equipment AND futz with my playing. Just saying.

21. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

No problem, I was on the TDP from about 1997 to 2003 very regularly for hundreds of hours, and worried and thought a LOT about hardware. Since it turned into the RI page, it's gotten a bit larger, and I got tired of the same old questions about alder vs ash, maple vs rosewood, etc. If it feels and sounds good, it is good.

A great player on a cheapo Squier trumps a hack on the best Custom Shop guitar out there--I have seen it, and do my best to be the player and not the gearhead. The fact that I am posting on this page at all shows that I'm not totally successful :)

Good luck,
    George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.