Testing a filter choke or finding a replacement?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Robster, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Robster

Robster Tele-Holic

I picked up this 1966 Gibson Minuteman GA20RVT amp.
    Looks like someone disconnected one wire from the filter choke, then looks like the added in more capacitance with a large 470uf cap instead. Normally the power supply caps are only 20uf...
    Can I test this filter choke or find a replacement? I want to get the amp back to stock condition.

magic smoke likes this.
  2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You can check the integrity of the coil with a multimeter. Measure resistance from one lead to the other and from one lead to the frame of the choke. Lead to frame should read open, and lead to lead shouldn't be open or unusually low. Somewhere in the 50 ohm range is a reasonable number, but that will depend on how the choke was designed.

To actually test the inductance requires more specialized gear like an LCR meter, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

There's a method for estimating the inductance of a choke here: http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3334

I used it to measure a choke pulled from an old radio a while back and it seemed to work.

It's the post about halfway down that mentions a 3.75k resistor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.