Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tenor Cigar Box Ukulele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by printer2, Jul 22, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Sometimes that's about the best idea there is. Good luck.

2. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    Nice to see projects done and with so many good pictures.
    A friend of mine wanted to do a cigarbox guitar too (with one bass string and 3 guitar strings - he's a "one man band") and he wanted my help. I said that sure I can help, but when he found the actual cigar box, he had bought two of them, so that I had to do one also...
    I wanted to learn banjo, so I thought that I'd do a cigarbox banjo. It is just like guitar, but the strings and tuning are like four strings of a banjo. I even made the neck (maple) and fretting all by myself and the result was better than I expected. Both sound and appearance.
    Naturally, I named the thing "Cubanjo"...

IMG_2786.JPG
    more:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8WX9Sqid3ipQlhoQjBuWm1tUUU?usp=sharing

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    They are getting closer to being finished.

[​IMG]

Zepfan and richa like this.

4. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

5. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Looking bad. Stuck a tuner into the hole and it felt scratchy to turn. All but one was crap. I have some others that work fine but they have shorter posts. Feels like starting over.

[​IMG]

6. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

[​IMG]

Now frets and glue on the neck and bridge.

7. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Just need to do a nut and saddle but otherwise done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Not perfect but good enough for now.

[​IMG]

RickyRicardo and guitarbuilder like this.

9. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

11. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks everyone. When I first strung it up I had my doubts but after a day or two it is sounding better to me. I strung it up with a low G rather than the plinky high G as would be on a regular uke. So tuned the same the four strings of a guitar capo'ed at the fifth fret. It seems to sound its best with a pick to my ears. I almost wish it had six strings, it is light in weight and fun to pick up.

I had concerns with building it with a maple neck with it feeling neck heavy but there is not a lot of wood here and the left hand can handle it easily. Already I have a hankering to build a Martin size 5 guitar out of some maple I picked up. It would be a blast to have a little guitar to while away the hours on. I do have one I am making out of spruce but I am sure it will get banged up pretty easy. And that one is going to be nylon, I do need a maple companion one with steel strings for it don't I? Maybe after I finish a few I already have half built.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.